Author Topic: McManus and Callaghan/Kelaher  (Read 6539 times)

Offline bertoli22

• RootsChat Member
  • Ellen McManus c1840 - 1903
    • View Profile
McManus and Callaghan/Kelaher
« on: Monday 28 November 05 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm hoping that someone may give me some advice re how to trace my Co Cavan ancestors.   They are the ones that I have least info about and yet  interest me most. 

My gg grandmother Ellen McMANUS  married George BRIGGS in 1857 in South Australia (SA).
Her parents were Thomas McMANUS (on her marriage and death certs)
 and Bridget CALLAGHAN (on her death cert) or KELAHER (on  brother Hugh McMANUS' death cert).
 Descendants contacted believe that the family name was CALLIGHAN but no one has proof.

The only Ellen McMANUS  on a passenger list arriving in SA,  was in 1850 on the British Empire.

Ellen's age is all over the place: 21 on her marriage cert in 1857, 63 on her death cert in 1903 (which also states that she was 16 when she married George Briggs in SA).  Including the British Empire  age, the range of birth years is: c1826, c1829 and c1840.
I think that the 1840 date is most likely to be correct as it fits best with the ages of the siblings that I know of: 1839 to 1848.

Ellen’s sisters Mary and Annie, her brother Hugh, his wife Elizabeth and their children all came to Aust on the Aberdeen in 1884 and landed in NSW.

The only information re place of birth  is County Cavan.
Ellen was illiterate and her family were not wealthy.  Ellen worked as a servant in South Australia before she married and then ran a dairy in Young NSW  Aust (where the Briggs family spent  most of their adult lives).

Can you give me any advice as to where I might look for further information?  I've looked at heaps of places online but haven't had much luck - but maybe that's because I'm not looking in the best places.   I'm desperate for leads and look forward to hearing from you. Thanks
ciao
Bertoli

Moderator's Note: see also this thread:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=293929.msg1765123

Offline twinkleberry

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McManus and Callaghan/Kelaher
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 December 06 02:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I saw your request re George Briggs and Ellen McManus, so I decided to see if I could find any information for you when I was in the State Library a few days ago.  The following is what I did find:-

ARRIVAL FROM OVERSEAS.

Ellen McManus, single, aged 22 years and Mary, single 24 years, and Henry, single 28 years all arrived in South Australia 14th August 1850 aboard the "British Empire"

MARRIAGE

George Briggs aged 25 years, marital status not recorded, son of John Briggs married 23rd Novemebr 1857 to Ellen aged 21 years, marital status not recorded daughter of Thomas McManus at Catholic Chapel, Mintaro, District Clare reference book 32 page 375

CHILD BORN TO GEORGE BRIGGS & ELLEN McMANUS.

1. Rose Ann born 5th Setpember 1858at Mintaro, District Gilbert reference book 14 page 419

MARRIAGE

George Gullidge aged 30 years, widower, father's name not recorded, married 12th July 1852 to Rose Ann Briggs, aged 15 years, single, father's name not recorded at St. Mark Church, Penwortham, District Adelaide reference book 10 page 429

CHILD BORN TO GEORGE GULLIDGE & ROSE ANN BRIGGS.

Selina Ann born 1st April 1854 place of bith not recorded, District Adelaide referenc ebook 4 page 304

Hoping the above is of some help.

Regards

"Twinkleberry"
Heather Hobbis 1949-2012

Offline bertoli22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 December 06 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Twinkleberry
What a nice surprise!!
Thanks heaps for looking up all of that info for me.  They are indeed my family.  I think that the Rose Ann Briggs aged 15 who married George Gullidge aged 30 years is quite likely a sister of George Briggs (my gg grandfather).
George & Ellen's first child was called Rose Ann (my g grandmother)

You have given me another lead to follow - I'll see what I can find about the Gullidge family in SA.
Thank you
ciao Bertoli

Offline bertoli22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 March 07 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Twinkleberry
Just thought that i'd let you know that your post has helped me get on with finding my Briggs family. 
Thanks heaps
Bertoli

Offline ray029

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 March 12 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello you still out thjere . let me know ok ans what you found out . i have m\family from there also  and sme names and dates

Offline Karen-Edith

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 November 12 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm Karen Davies....my gggrandmother was Anne Mcmanus of County Cavan.  We have papers linking the family to County Cavan and Young, NSW.

My e-mail is : (*)

or  (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 September 15 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

I was trying to find a "lost RootsChatter" and wondered if this was an old profile that once belonged to you ?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=10436.new#new

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk