Author Topic: War Diaries - 145th Royal Armoured Corps (8th Bn Duke of Wellington Regt) Regt  (Read 12360 times)

Offline merlin001

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: War Diaries - 145th Royal Armoured Corps (8th Bn Duke of Wellington Regt) Regt
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 21:50 GMT (UK) »
email me at:
I can scan and send it tomorrow if you email me. I would be very happy to see the 145 RAC Diaries. Do you have anything for 12th RTR?

Regards

Merlin
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline merlin001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: War Diaries - 145th Royal Armoured Corps (8th Bn Duke of Wellington Regt) Regt
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 05 February 12 19:07 GMT (UK) »
has anyone got the Battle Report for the Gothic Line for 145 RAC or any of the maps that would have shown the 1st Canadian Corps sector during this period?
regards

merlin
(apologies for posting the email earlier)

Offline carolyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 06 April 14 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this site so not too sure what I'm doing yet. I've just read a post in which Ronnie Quin is referred to.  Ronnie or Ronald to his Mother and Father and Ron to his siblings was one of 11 children, my Mother being one of them.
I would love to hear from anyone who knows anything about him as I am building my Family Tree.
Many thanks in anticipation.

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 06 April 14 23:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Carolyn - Welcome to Rootschat ;D

Here is the post you are referring to to save people searching. It is quite an old post though so there may be a delay in anyone replying. In the meantime why not take a look around Rootschat  there are always lots of interesting discussions going on ;D

Milly

Hi Cat.

My father was a Sgt with 145RAC, and I've been researching his military history. Back in 2007, my brother and I visited the Coriano Ridge War Cemetery. While there, I took photos of all the gravestones of the men from the Royal Armoured Corps. I've checked them and your uncle's is among them. Your uncle was L/Cpl 7948545 R T Hall, He was killed on 18/9/44 aged 24 years. On 18/9/44, the regiment attacked San Martino and a number of men were killed. From what I've learned, my father was very fortunate to survive that day. Some of my fater's 'mates' are buried there (Ronnie Quin being one of them). Ronnie was killed the same day as your uncle, and I'm therefore pretty certain that my father would have known your uncle too. 

I have a copy of the 145RAC War Diary - I got it via the Tank Museum at Bovington. I've had a quick look, but can't find any reference to your uncle.

I've only just come across this topic (some years late)and have joined up today simply to tell you what I know. I hope you see it and that it is of help. If I find anything more, I'll add it.

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline margaretd777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 27 August 15 09:59 BST (UK) »

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 27 August 15 13:55 BST (UK) »
Have you tried http://www.nmarchive.com/

I just looked at their prices. £10 to view a Coldstream Guards war diary from WW1 when you can download it directly from the source at the National Archives for £3.30

Offline 145croc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 01 October 17 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Carolyn. It's been some time since I visited this site, and am surprised and delighted to see your post. It was my post that you are referring to. Ronnie was a friend/colleague of my Dad's (Sgt 4620171 John Shilton (aka 'Jack'). I have a photograph of the pair of them with two other Sgts (Eric Pain and Sgt Millhouse). I also have some anecdotal info regarding him. If my own research is correct,  Ronnie came from York, he was born in 1911, his mother and father being Ada and Harry. Perhaps you can confirm.

Offline carolyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 09 July 20 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Carolyn. It's been some time since I visited this site, and am surprised and delighted to see your post. It was my post that you are referring to. Ronnie was a friend/colleague of my Dad's (Sgt 4620171 John Shilton (aka 'Jack'). I have a photograph of the pair of them with two other Sgts (Eric Pain and Sgt Millhouse). I also have some anecdotal info regarding him. If my own research is correct,  Ronnie came from York, he was born in 1911, his mother and father being Ada and Harry. Perhaps you can confirm.
Hi, Very long shot as this thread is I guess very old and Carolyn(my wife)cannot remember the date she posted. Everything you mentioned about Ronnie is correct, at the moment I am researching him  for a couple of family members.  I have a fair bit of info and a lot of links to get more, to hear the anecdotes would be wonderfull and if at all possible a copy of the photo would be awesome, any expense you might incur i would be happy to pay.
Fingers crossed you see this.
Warm Regards
Paul