Author Topic: MIs Much Hadham Lookup - TAYLOR  (Read 4320 times)

Offline pgaskell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MIs Much Hadham Lookup - TAYLOR
« on: Tuesday 29 November 05 22:01 GMT (UK) »
I have been told that my ancestors: James, and James Nathaniel Taylor and their families lived and died in Much Hadham  over the period 1750 - 1838.

I would very much appreciate a lookup of the published MIs for any Taylors during that period.

Thank you
Phyl

Offline Hoppity

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Faithful Friend
    • View Profile
Re: MIs Much Hadham Lookup - TAYLOR
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 December 05 20:58 GMT (UK) »
You could contact the Hertfordshire Family History Society.  They have produced an MI book for Much Hadham and Perry Green.  Its only about £4. 

Their web site is www.hertsfhs.org.uk/hfphs1.html

Kind regards
Hoppity

Mardell - Hertfordshire
Sales - Kent and Hertfordshire
Daniels - Hertfordshire
Sutton - Kent
Stagg - Hertfordshire
Pilcher - Kent
Goldsmith - Kent

Offline pgaskell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 December 05 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I did know there was a book, and saw that someone on this list had offered to do lookups in it. Normally I would try to buy it directly but I now live in Mexico and the postage is more than the cost of the book, and the delivery is excruciatingly slow. If my ancestors are listed, I will buy it.

It was kind of you to respond
Thanks
Phyl

Offline Diane101

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 December 05 04:13 GMT (UK) »
This won't help you with your James, but I have a Jane Taylor marrying my John Swallow in Little Hadham in 1874.  Jane's father was David Taylor, a labourer.  Jane is listed as living in Marylebone at the time, although they were a Little Hadham family and the Taylors are still feed and hay merchants in Colliers End (I think) in Hertforshire -- saw their place when I went on a nostalgic trip with my mum last year.  Mum says Taylors farmed around Colliers End (just up the road from Little Hadham) when she was a girl in the 1920s and 1930s.
Diane
Williams, Guy in London; Ratcliffe, Belshaw in Oldham; Swallow in Hertfordshire; Probert

Offline pgaskell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 December 05 05:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks, that is the first thing I have heard about Taylors in that area. But I don't think Jane or her father are related to me. At least, not in any of the family info I have. I have a Selina Jane, granddaughter of James Nathaniel, but she died in 1840 as an child. James Nathaniel  died in 1838 - in Marylebone, but was allegedly buried in Much Hadham. The only hint I have about his occupation was his son in the 1851 census as "landed proprietor". I don't know what land they might have owned in Hertfordshire. None is mentioned in his will. Perhaps any they had had was sold by then. There seemed to be at least a 60 year connection with Much Hadham. Maybe one day, some info will turn up.

Phyl

Offline Diane101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 December 05 05:28 GMT (UK) »
Phyl,
i had a quick look in the online phone book and that part of herts is full of Taylors.  I will ask mum what she remembers about them, she has talked of them, but I cant remember what she said.  I have a feeling she went to school with some, so they would be about late 70s now, as she is.  But they are definitely still in the area, it might have been Much Hadham where i saw the hay merchants.
i will let you know if i find anything
Diane
Williams, Guy in London; Ratcliffe, Belshaw in Oldham; Swallow in Hertfordshire; Probert

Offline Diane101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 December 05 05:15 GMT (UK) »
HI Phyl,
asked my mum, she said the hay and straw merchants are in Colliers End, about a stone's throw from Much Hadham, but sorry, cant help you with your Taylors, dont know if they are the same or not.  Will let you know if i hear anything, sadly I am about as far from Much Hadham as you are!
good luck
Di

Offline tarajobrien

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phyl

I had a look for you but no luck unfortunately, in the Much Hadham and Perry Green Monumental Inscriptions book there were no Taylor’s at all, which was a surprise as it is a reasonably common name. There were 2 Taylor’s in the Standon book but were not yours.

The book has records that were taken in 1996, it also has records that were taken in 1906 that are not there in 1996. In my family I have gravestones from 1837 that are still there but more recent ones are not…. :( It is unfortunately luck of the draw, I didn’t find the ones I really wanted to find.

You could try an NBI (National Burial Index) look up, people on this website have that resource, Hertfordshire parishes has the following available.  (http://www.ffhs.org.uk/General/Projects/NBIcounties/HRT2.htm)
It has records I don’t have and vice versa. You can request a look up for that in the main Look up request page, you will probably get a quicker response there than on this page, just name the surname and the towns you need a look up in.

Sorry I couldn’t help more. Let me know if you need any other surnames looked up.

Good luck
Tara
Hertfordshire(Anstey, the Hadham, Reed, Standon): Gault, Hoy, Miles, Smith
Shropshire(Aston Botterell,Burwarton,Stoke St Milborough,Wheathill): Angell, Blackmore, Blakemore, Bennett, Pheysey
Essex(Dunmow,West Ham): Allen, Blackmore, Carr, Sutton
Warwickshire(Birmingham,Edgbaston): Angell
Yorkshire(Doncaster,Hull): Brooks, Doe
London/Middlesex area(Battersea,Wandsworth, Willesden): Angell, Brooks, Carr, Carswell, Salkind
Norfolk (Norwich,Nth Walsham,Lynn,Gt Yarmouth): Carr, Salkind

Offline pgaskell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for looking, Tara. I am disappointed especially since I found nothing in a look at the NBI a few years ago. Maybe it has been updated and I will try again. Sometimes you wonder about this family information...  Maybe they were dreaming that they wanted to be buried in Much Hadham.

I have no other names in this area. I very much appreciate your taking the time to check.

Phyl