Author Topic: Stock, Fazakerley, Taylor surnames, Liverpool area, 1750-1830  (Read 4270 times)

Offline LanCanuck

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stock, Fazakerley, Taylor surnames, Liverpool area, 1750-1830
« on: Wednesday 30 November 05 01:44 GMT (UK) »
James Stock (c. 1792) and Grace Fazakerley (b.1796) were married at St. James, Toxteth Park in 1815. Grace was the eighth child of Edward Fazakerley (c. 1755) and Mary Taylor, daughter of Thomas Taylor and Ellen ?, of Kirkby.

James and Grace's first 4 children were baptized at St. Swithin, Gill Moss.  John Stock and his wife Dorothy Melling witnessed one of those baptisms.  Two more were born before the family emigrated to Canada in 1830 (family legend has it) from Chorley.

I have found no Stock family events in the St. Laurence, Chorley microfilm. I would appreciate a listing of likely (RC) parishes in the region for BMD's prior to 1800.

Thank you.

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stock, Fazakerley, Taylor surnames, Liverpool area, 1750-1830
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 December 05 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello LanCanuck
Have you tried looking on the I.G.I on family search org you might find something on there.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline LanCanuck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 May 10 18:27 BST (UK) »
James Stock (c. 1792) and Grace Fazakerley (b.1796) were married at St. James, Toxteth Park in 1815. Grace was the eighth child of Edward Fazakerley (c. 1755) and Mary Taylor, daughter of Thomas Taylor and Ellen ?, of Kirkby.

James and Grace's first 4 children were baptized at St. Swithin, Gill Moss.  John Stock and his wife Dorothy Melling witnessed one of those baptisms.  Two more were born before the family emigrated to Canada in 1830 (family legend has it) from Chorley.

I have found no Stock family events in the St. Laurence, Chorley microfilm. I would appreciate a listing of likely (RC) parishes in the region for BMD's prior to 1800.

Thank you.

Update:
James Stock the elder died about 1836 and left a will, wherein he named his living family members. John Stock c. 1788 (m. Dorothy Bullen and farmed at Melling) and Peter Stock (m. Margaret Hearsnep) were named executors; William (m. Elizabeth Pinnington), Catharine (m. Richard Heskayne), Ellen (m. William Bullen), Margery (m. Thomas Rawlinson), James (m. Grace Fazakerley) and Mary (m. James Lancaster) were his children, and his wife was Mary. Many of his grandchildren were baptised at St Mary, Aughton.

Offline Kate Hurst

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 20:49 GMT (UK) »
I'm coming to this a bit late, but hope it will help. I recognised a few names in your post from the will of a distant relative, Peter Hurst (1779-1849), leather dealer from Ormskirk. He married twice but had no children. His second wife was Ellen Taylor, for whom I have no parents names, but Peter was a Catholic so I am guessing Ellen was, too.

Peter left a lot of bequests to various nephews and nieces, which have helped to piece his wife's family together a bit. Specifically, he mentioned the following brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law -

Margaret Rigby (Margaret Taylor m. John Rigby 21/4/1798 St. James, Toxteth?), who had a son William.
William Taylor (deceased), who had children named Martha, William, James. [This James had a daughter named Jane and a deceased daughter, Mary Almond.]
Thomas Taylor (deceased), whose children were John Taylor and Elizabeth Riding. [I believe there were also two more girls, Mary and Alice.]
Mary Fazakerley (Mary Taylor m. Edward Fazakerley 28/12/1782 St. James, Liverpool?) - she had sons named Edward and John; John's children were named James Fazakerley, Thomas Fazakerley, Edward Fazakerley and Grace Stock.

There is also a mention of Mary and Alice, daughters of Thomas Fazakerley. I presume these are the great-grandchildren of Mary Taylor/Edward Fazakerley.

However, going by the fact that Peter's will was made in 1849 and the only marriage between a Grace Fazakerley and a Stock that I can find is the 1815 one to James Stock, I think the wording of the will had become confused. (John Fazakerley, son of Mary Taylor, did have a daughter named Grace but she was only about 7 years old in 1849.) I have never managed to find Grace and James Stock on the 1841 census, so your detail about the emigration would explain that.

Hope the above details are of some help. I do have a transcription of the will, which I'm happy to pass on

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 09:50 GMT (UK) »
St Chad Kirby
23th September 1825
burial of Mary Stock,
daughter of James and Grace
a papist
aged 1 year 9 months
abode Kirkby,

so not in Chorley in 1825

John Stock
aged 39
of Melling
1st November 1858

Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 10:19 GMT (UK) »
St Swithin Gilmoss,
born 12th November 1796
baptised 20th,
Grace Fazackerley
child of Edward and Mary
abode Simmonswood
Godparents Charles Taylor and Grace Speakman

Same church as John Stock and Grace used to baptise their children,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 10:27 GMT (UK) »
You have so much to share,
 I have sent a message to the original poster , hope she comes back , its been two years since she visited the site, sorry,

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 10:31 GMT (UK) »
For the record - I know a lot of Fazackerley family here in Garston and Speke in Liverpool .still going strong ...a big family

nearly 4,800 records of the family on this link
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline LanCanuck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 December 16 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all posters for your responses. It's been a while since I've logged in!

I located the will of James Stock the Elder of Chorley, dated 1836. He was kind enough to mention the names of the husbands of his daughters, but failed to provide the names of the wives of his sons. He wasn't thinking of me at the time!

Here's what he wrote:
"And in the next place do and shall divide aforesaid and equally amongst all my children herein after named, namely, John Stock, William Stock, Catharine Heskayne now the Wife of Richard Heskayne, Ellen Bullen now the Wife of William Bullen, Margery Rawlinson now the Wife of Thomas Rawlinson, James Stock the younger, Peter Stock and Mary Lancaster now the Wife of James Lancaster share and share alike" He names his wife as Mary.

My original post had John Stock's wife as Dorothy Melling, but I now believe it to be Dorothy Bullen of Melling. William Stock's wife I believe to be Elizabeth Pinnington, James Stock the younger I believe to be my ggg grandfather married to Grace Fazakerley, and Peter Stock married Margaret Hearsnep.

Although I have yet to find the source document to place James and Grace in this family, thanks to Robert Haresnape there are many baptisms of the children of these families in the records of St. Mary Roman Catholic Church (Aughton Lancashire England), including James and Grace's eldest son Edward.

James the younger built a house between Toronto and Mississauga, Ontario, Canada (actual village name was Mimico) and named it Hawarden. His son Edward built his house nearby and named it Eden Court. Neither name had an explanation provided. The nearest connection I can figure is that one Fazakerley line daughtered out and a grandson surnamed Hawarden inherited, if he took the Fazakerley surname. I've found a marriage record for a James Stock and Mary Eden at Winwick in 1787. All circumstantial evidence, I know. I need a male Stock from one of these lines to be able to do DNA!

Again, thanks for your input.