Author Topic: Disappearing ancestor - help please!  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
Re: Disappearing ancestor - help please!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 16:13 GMT (UK) »
I think he was in the boer war, on the 1891 he was a policeman, so you may be able to find something by checking their records, think their is a link on the occupations board.

Strangely there is a thomas waite born c 1873 beenham vallance berkshire in the 1901 census, but is married with 3 kids.

You need to find a marriage between edith waite and a hattersby, that will narrow the year down, then looks like you may need to go through all the records(they are online on 1837online, although its a paysite) and look for a death.

Kev.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 16:20 GMT (UK) »
I've gone through all the records on that site and can't find him.

Also haven't been able to find the marriage of Edith, but my grandad had the impression that she was a bit 'fast' and may not have actually married the new man.

Thanks for all your help, it's really been frustrating me!
Waite, Marchant, Nash, Goddard, Pocock, Hiles, Switzer, Larondie, Harris, Radford, Monger, Harper, Harris, Sixsmith, Fitzgerald.

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a first name for mr hattersby?

The marriage is not too bad to check if you can narrow it down to say 5 years its only 20 credits 1837online, which is less than 5.

You can get 110 credits for 10.

Kev.

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 16:36 GMT (UK) »
I don't know his name unfortunatley, looks like a long trawl through!
Waite, Marchant, Nash, Goddard, Pocock, Hiles, Switzer, Larondie, Harris, Radford, Monger, Harper, Harris, Sixsmith, Fitzgerald.

Offline Suttonrog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 16:39 GMT (UK) »
If he was a policeman there will be records. I am not sure where they are for Bershire, but my gg uncle was in the Met and he also was sent to the boer war and rejoined straight afterwards.

The police records are very good and show when he was pensioned off. These may give you a clue. :-\

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant, police looks like a good way to go then! I've found the link on the occupations page, can't get on it though and I'm hoping it's just my work computer playing up!

Offline jacdee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hey,
I'm probably going to confuse matters now, but do you think that the Thomas that Kev found on 1901 is actually your Thomas and he had married again? Maybe thats why Edith had moved in with her parents - she and Thomas had split up. I'm only suggesting because it happened to me! I spent ages searching for Sam and Annie. Found Annie and all the kids, and it said she was married but head of the household. Eventually found Sam several miles away living with his 'wife' Georgina! Though i never actually found a marriage reg for Sam and Georgina. I don't know how strict the law was on remarrying without divorce, or even if they had to actually be married before they could change surname.

Just a thought!
Jacdee
Crowther, Mccloud/mcleod, Harrison, Hawthorn, Hicks, Pattison, Shrimpton
This information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 18:52 GMT (UK) »
I thought that, but had 3 kids up to nine years old, so thought it was a bit unlikely.

Kev.

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Tried that police site, no joy there. I'm fairly convinced that a trip to the records office would tell me what I'm after though.