Author Topic: john roberts - royal welsh harpist  (Read 14349 times)

Offline john ashley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
john roberts - royal welsh harpist
« on: Wednesday 30 November 05 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello - my cousins in USA say a family story indicates that we had gypsy connections - one of our ancestors was Elizabeth Roberts born 1785 who lived in Denbighshire - was she related to John Roberts born 1814 - the famous Royal Welsh Harpist - he married the grand daughter of Abraham Wood - the founder of the gypsy dynasty - does anyone know of the existence of a family tree which might answer the question ? I would be most grateful. John Ashley
Census Information is Crown Copyright,from Nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mrs griff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Granny Emma
    • View Profile
Re: john roberts - royal welsh harpist
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   go to the Anglesey Site there a posting there  (Abram Wood Welsh Gypsies)  By  Sue Wood Griffiths it might help you .i relpied to it because someone in my family said my g grandfather John Roberts was related to the Wood Roberts gypsies but i think it was wishful thinking

Regards Mrs Griff
Glamorgan, Merioneth,Caernavon
Roberts,  Williams.
Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline john ashley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 December 05 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mrs Grif - many thanks for your prompt reply - I also may be chasing my tail - I will be following your suggestion - perseverance is the name of the game - your comments much appreciated  - John Ashley

Offline salmon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 December 05 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello - my cousins in USA say a family story indicates that we had gypsy connections - one of our ancestors was Elizabeth Roberts born 1785 who lived in Denbighshire - was she related to John Roberts born 1814 - the famous Royal Welsh Harpist - he married the grand daughter of Abraham Wood - the founder of the gypsy dynasty - does anyone know of the existence of a family tree which might answer the question ? I would be most grateful. John Ashley
Hi John , As fate would have it Iam the grt grt Grandson Of John Roberts (Telynor Cymru) If you are still about send me a pm and i will see what i can do for you. 
Roberts,wood,Griffiths,Devine,Interested in all Welsh Romany families

Offline john ashley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 December 05 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Salmon - I prepared a personal message but I am not certain that it was correctly sent - please advise if it has not been received - Thanks - John Ashley.

Offline Helented

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hello John Ashley, I hope you do not mind me contacting you. My husband Ted and myself Helen Davies are looking up my husband family tree. We know very little about his mother's ancestry apart from the fact that his mother Esther Florence R Baker was brought up by her maternal grandparents. The only name we have at the moment is Roberts. My husband also remembers a Maldwyn and a connection to John Roberts the Royal Welsh Harpist. We have however got a birth date of 1816 (from the National Library of Wales). They have information their about John Roberts and states he is the father of Maldwyn Roberts. I was wondering if you found out what your connection to John Roberts is because there could be a link between you and my husband. I look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks- Helen Davies

Offline john ashley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 July 10 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Helen and Ted  - just to say I have your post - I have discovered a gypsy connection in my very distant family - but whilst it includes a John Roberts there is no connection yet to John Roberts - the Royal Welsh harpist. However I have some notes but no mention of Maldwyn but a connection to Nansi Richards - Telynores Maldwyn - telynores is welsh for harpist - but perhaps your welsh is better than mine.
You will find John Roberts on the 1881 census as 64 years birthplace - Denbigh together with his family at Newtown Montgomeryshire. Ellinor - his wife is descended from Abraham Wood - the well known gypsy. You should also visit www.gtj.org.uk/en/item10/17628 for more useful information. Regards John Ashley.

Offline Helented

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 August 10 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hi John Ashley Sorry for the long delay in replying but I do not know where the time goes. Thank you very much for the leads on John Roberts the Royal Welsh Harpest. We have looked him up and he does seem to be a very busy man. Anyway one of his daughters Sarah Roberts married a Thomas Davies who was a one legged carpenter and they had a daughter Annie. The long and the short of it being that Annie was my husbands grandmother so we have made the family link. Thank you for your help. Lots of love Helen Davies x  :D

Offline Soy Yo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 02:48 GMT (UK) »
I have the family tree of Abra[ha]m Woods because I am a descendant of that line. The tree I have was made by my father's uncle and is not available online. On this map, my family line shows up in red as the same line as yours --which is why I have just registered on this site to reply to you.
John Roberts, born 1816 [*not 1814* as per your post] (died 11.5.1894) married Eleanor Wood who gave birth to Reuben France Roberts. He married Ellen Wood and then Mary Lizzie Griffths who gave birth to many other children.
I will gratefully share and compare our family trees with you.