Author Topic: Parish Records for Britford 1822  (Read 14502 times)

Offline Karenn

• RootsChat Member
  • The NORTH Crest
    • View Profile
Parish Records for Britford 1822
« on: Monday 06 September 04 01:28 BST (UK) »
Hello List,
Would someone please be able to look up a birth for my James North b in 1822 in Britford?  Would love to know parents' names, birth date and any other siblings. Thanks

Cheers

Karenn
from down under ::)
Durnford and  Woodford in Wiltshire, Leckford, Stockbridge and Basingstoke in Hampshire. North, Waters, Davis, Alsop/Sopp, Hayter, Harris, Dear, Dyke, Stride and Wright.

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Records for Britford 1822
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 August 05 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Karenn,

I found a baptism for 25 Nov 1821 James son of William and Jane North, Britford, Carpenter

Other children's baptisms in Britford to William and Jane as follows:
4 Jul 1813 Samuel
12 Dec 1819 Seth
8 Feb 1823 Robert
15 Oct 1826 Thomas

I could not find a marriage for William and Jane North in Britford.

There was also another William and Jane North initially of East Harnham (a wheelwright) and later Britford, also producing children with the same names but no James.

Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Karenn

• RootsChat Member
  • The NORTH Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 August 05 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Dave,
Thanks for looking it up for me.  But now I'm in a delmar! There is a William in the 1841 census of Britford.  He is 45 years old and a Wheelwright.  With him was his wife, Harriet aged 40, sons George aged 20, a sawyer journeyman, James aged 15, an agricultural labouer, Thomas aged 13 and daughters Maria aged 20, Mary aged 9 and Harriet aged 5. Could this be the other family you spoke of?

My James became a miller then a publican, so his profession doesn't follow either alternative (carpenter or wheelwright).  James married Charlotte Sophia NORTH, yes her maiden name was the same, in the Dec quarter of 1848 in Amesbury, Wiltshire.  I did order an Amesbury film from the LDS but it wasn't on here.  I thought if I also found their marriage that it might give me the names of witnesses who might be family.

If you have access to Amesbury, could you please look up the marriage for me? If it ties in one the children then we will know which family he belongs too.

Thank you for any assistance you can give. ;D

Karenn
Durnford and  Woodford in Wiltshire, Leckford, Stockbridge and Basingstoke in Hampshire. North, Waters, Davis, Alsop/Sopp, Hayter, Harris, Dear, Dyke, Stride and Wright.

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 August 05 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Karenn,

I didn't make a note of the Wheelwright William's family because I did not find a son James b abt 1822.   His son as you say was born abt 1826.   I can always look again if you wish.

Professions don't necessarily follow father to son particularly if there are lots of sons - not enough work I guess.

If you wish I'll look up the Amesbury marriage of James & Charlotte North in 1848, just let me know what you want.   I only have occasional access to the Wiltshire Records as they are in another town.   I usually visit the Record Office every 7 to 10 days, so let me know what you want.   It's easier to look up a batch rather than bits and pieces.

Cheers Dave

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Karenn

• RootsChat Member
  • The NORTH Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 August 05 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Dave,
If you would look up their marriage for me, that would be a great help.  Maybe I was on the wrong track with the other family.

James and Charlotte were in Laverstock in 1851 so I'll have to find out if the family you found were in Laverstock in 1841.  If they were then you've probably found the right one!

All the censuses from 51 onwards seem to indicate that James and Charlotte didn't have any children , but if you come across any children that may have been born then died between 1848 and 51 that would also be useful.

Thanks for your assistance.

PS. I don't want to push my luck, but my BIG brickwall is a marriage between Lawrence NORTH and Mary unknown in about 1757. Their children, James and Ann were born in 1758 and 1763 in Woodford.  I have looked through most of the available films in Woodford and found no marriage. So I guess the next step is look in the surrounding parishes. This is a big job and I don't expect you to do it, but when your looking up your own stuff, please just keep a look out for my Lawrence and Mary?
PPS. If you have any connections you want looked up in Australia, please let me know.

Thanks again

Karenn ;D

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 August 05 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Karenn,
I'll give it a whirl.   I put Woodford as a small village NW of Salisbury and some records go back to 1538.   I'll have a look for you next week.

I do have some relatives in Australia a cousin in Melbourne and brother in law in Queensland.   Also my 3rd grt grand aunt, Jane (sometimes referred to as Jenefer) Renfrey of Cornwall married Richard Hawke before emigating with their family to Oz on the Reliance, arriving Adelaide Sep 1851, so I guess there's a few there ;D

Cheers Dave

Offline Karenn

• RootsChat Member
  • The NORTH Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 August 05 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Dave,
Don't look in Woodford for James & Charlotte's marriage will you.  The Free BDM says they married in Dec quarter of 1848 in Amesbury.

As for your lot, is there anything in particular you would like me to look up? Could find you a copy of the shipping record if you want.

Cheers
Karenn

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 August 05 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Karenn,

I'll look in the Amesbury records.

Thanks for the offer.   I think I have the shipping record, Richard Hawke and his wife Jane (or Jenefer) Renfrey arrived at Adelaide with their family on the Reliance in 1851 and settled in Kapunda, SA.   There were 7 children.   The oldest, Richard, died in 1851.   Another son's line, James Renfrey Hawke, has been well documented elsewhere.   I have no idea of the others.   Could you please look up any children of the second son, William Hawke, b 8 Feb 1834 in Kea, Cornwall, and his wife, Jane Carter, also of Kea.   He died 30 Jan 1884 at Willowie, SA and she 3 Sep 1911 at Prospect, SA.

I'll be in touch later in the week.   Cheers Dave

Offline Karenn

• RootsChat Member
  • The NORTH Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 06:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,
No problem. I will probably get to the library sometime next week. Talk soon.

Cheers
Karenn