Author Topic: trace grandfather  (Read 3977 times)

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
trace grandfather
« on: Monday 06 September 04 03:22 BST (UK) »
 :D I'm new to the forum so would  like to say a big hello  to every one.
This is the first time I have ever attempted to research my family so if some of my questions sound a bit lame ---
To be honest i have no idea what questions i should be asking but i will do my best to give you what info i have.

My father passed away a couple of months ago, he was 68 so i have decided to concentrate at the moment on his side of the family, starting with his father, my grandfather.
I have the birth certificate of my fathers brother and on the certificate it gives the name and address of my grandfather and grandmother in 1923.  What i would like to know is what do i do to find out about his family (brothers--sisters etc ) and if any of his family served in the first world war and how to trace the family further back.
If anyone thinks they could help or advise me i do have names and dates and addresses.

many thanks
regards
jim
mcfc1923

WARBURTON, SHELTON, HENDREN, HENDERSON.

Offline nora T

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: trace grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 September 04 13:16 BST (UK) »
you could try  the 1901 census to see if any of the family lived there then. you could also try the birth marriages deaths site, either your countys BMD  or the england and wales BMD site they are free. and go back to 1837, hope that helps a bit, also the LDS "mormons" have a very good free site , called family search.  might be of use . happy hunting. nora T
i am researching the timmis family salop. staffs, and cheshire, also the culverwell family, congleton cheshire,and staffs.also jervis, jarvis, staffs and wales,also reece, staffs and dudley

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 September 04 16:58 BST (UK) »
many thanks nora T, you seem to have given me a lot to go on, but to be honest I have not got a clue how to go about it.  I did try the Mormons site but could not get my head round it (sorry to be such a pain) so let me get this right,
the other places you told me to try, 1901 census etc, I can find these on the forum ?. What does BMD mean?, do i go to 1901 census and ask for a lookup?. i'm sure i'll get the hang of it.

many thanks for your time Nora T it's much appreciated.

jim
mcfc1923

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 September 04 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,

Starting out with your family research can seem a bit daunting at first ??? We've all been there :)

What I suggest you do is to post a request here on Rootschat (in the relevant county for your family)for a look up on the 1901 census.

So that we know we have the right family it would be best to include as much info as you can,names,dates,birthplaces etc....

Hopefully you will get a result :)

Hope this helps a bit,Mick ;)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 September 04 17:37 BST (UK) »
 ;D

Hi, Have ou tried reading some of the Family History magazines? they all give very good tips and where to look for newbies.
I think the bst one at present is "Your Family Tree" the latest issue is out now (you can buy it at WH Smiths)

There is also, Family History Monthly, again interesting, and has a good column for sending in names you are researching (free)
another one is Practical Family History, why not try and obtain one, they will give you step by step ideas

If I can be of further help, let me know
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)

Offline nora T

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 September 04 18:10 BST (UK) »
hi jim BMD means birth marriages and deaths, staffordshire , and cheshire , and other counties  have got there own sites, but there is the england and wales bmd site which covers all. i just type into google., free bmd or staffs bmd and when i have the site i just follow the instructions, on the  mormons site, family search , just choose search, then it lets you search all the site, or choose from options, there 1881 census is good , BUT i have had more help, and learned more from this site, i am a bit of a novice myself , there are people on here who know tons more than me, and can explain better,they will put you right, lots of luck. nora T
i am researching the timmis family salop. staffs, and cheshire, also the culverwell family, congleton cheshire,and staffs.also jervis, jarvis, staffs and wales,also reece, staffs and dudley

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 September 04 18:37 BST (UK) »
would just like to start by thanking Nora T, Mickey M and
Mars Barr for their sound advice, it's much appreciated believe me. The thing that i am a little worried about is the fact that i only have information on my grandfather from
1923  at the earliest, but he was still alive in 1957 as he was present at my parents wedding.
Mars Barr, you said if i need any further help to let you know, well believe me my friend i need further help !!!.
this is the info that i have at present on my grandfather.
(this info is from birth certificate of his son Thomas in 1923)

NAME= Thomas Amos Warburton
Wife  = Mary Ann Warburton (formerly Thorp)
his occupation = Coal Carter
Address = 18 Garden Street, chorlton--upon--medlock, manchester.

other info= he was married twice, to his first wife (Mary Ann) he had 3 children= Bella(Isabella) then Thomas(as above) then Edward.
To his second wife he also had 3 children, Walter Arthur Warburton(my father) born 1935, then francis (daughter)
then Jimmy.

I believe my grandfather  had a sister named Emily who married a Joseph Shelton and i know they had at least 2 boys named jimmy and charlie.

I would truely appreciate any help that any one can give me.
many thanks in advance
best regard
Jim
mcfc1923

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 September 04 18:43 BST (UK) »
hi jim BMD means birth marriages and deaths, staffordshire , and cheshire , and other counties  have got there own sites, but there is the england and wales bmd site which covers all. i just type into google., free bmd or staffs bmd and when i have the site i just follow the instructions, on the  mormons site, family search , just choose search, then it lets you search all the site, or choose from options, there 1881 census is good , BUT i have had more help, and learned more from this site, i am a bit of a novice myself , there are people on here who know tons more than me, and can explain better,they will put you right, lots of luck. nora T

Excellent, thanks nora T, your a gem.

regards
jim
mcfc1923

Offline nora T

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 September 04 18:49 BST (UK) »
you are very welcome jim, wish i knew more. regards nora T