Author Topic: The Mysterious James NEWBERRY  (Read 51174 times)

Offline Anne C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Mysterious James NEWBERRY
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Laurina
What a fast reply. Yes I have the line back to Joseph Newberry and Arabella Ansel. You don't have Margaret Newber(r)y, because she died in Southampton aged 10. I looked for her marriage for a long time before I discovered this on Ancestry some time ago. Grace Newbery was my great grandmother - my mother remembers her well, and she has dimmer memories of Will Monnery (William George), who was her grandfather, as he died when she was quite a young child. All Monnerys in South Africa (and there are quite a lot of them) are descended from Grace Newbery. A person contacted me from Australia last week with the news that a certain Daniel Newberrry (born in 1815, son of Richard Newberry, b 1772) was transported to Australia for stealing iron. He had a daughter there (also Margaret), but there are no descendants with the name Newberry. However, there seems to be quite a big family there, as Daniel's cousin Thomas Omant, son of a Newberry mother, was also transported with him.  Regards, Anne.

Offline Peggy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 May 07 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Laurina, I have some information on some of the Newberrys, my interest being a connection with the King family of Hitchin, Herts. Contact me at Twnie21@AOL.com and you can down load what I have.

Peggy
Gallagher Co Meath, Ire
Crowcock Co Meath , Ire
Knight Herts Eng
Armstrong Herts Eng
King Herts Eng
Price Bucks/Herts
Line Bucks/Herts
Hide/Hyde Herts

Offline Newberrychaser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hello:

My surname interest is Newberry and I found your posts for Bedforshire. My James Newberry is evident in the U.S. having been born in New York in 1791.  I am currently trying to go backward through time and see if I can locate the parents of his first ancestor in America who was Richard Newberry born ca. 1620?.  I am looking at one family that may have come from Berkshire, but I am still in a metaphorical whirlpool with this family trying to sort things out.  Have you been able to work out your history back to the 1600's?  Do you know of any immigrants to New England for your Newberry clan?

Thanks for answering.

Sue
medieval research

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

My Newberry's go back to the early 1700's. They are all based around Herts and Beds - a lot of people are researching them but most have got stuck at the same couple Joseph Newberry who married Arabella Ansell in Ickleford, Hertford, England on 24 Oct 1733.  I don't have any American connections as far as I can see.

Good luck with your research.

Laurina
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Anne C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Sue
Sorry, no knowledge of emigrants to America from the Bedfordshire/ Hertfordshire Newberrys, although there are descendants in Australia and South Africa. A couple of years ago when I started researching my family history, a man on GenesReunited said I should investigate a village called Preston Capes, so I googled it. The spelling there was Newbery, and I could find no connection with my family there, but maybe you could.

Good luck!
Anne C.

Offline Newberrychaser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 19:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you Anne and Laurina for your replies.  Do either of you have knowledge about the following Newberry people?  I am especially interested in Walter in this list.  We have two unplaced Newberrys here in the early New England history, that is, we don't know where they came from originally.  One is Walter of Rhode Island, and the other is Richard of Weymouth, MA.

I suspect they actually come from co. Dorset, but the Walter in this list is a possiblity because of his birth date.

Thanks so much ladies.

[Christenings at West Ilsley, Berkshire, England.]

1. HENRICUS [HENRY] NEWBERY
Gender: Male Christening: 25 AUG 1646 West Ilsley, Berkshire, England
PARENTS shown as Humfredi and Sarae Newbery.

2. BENJAMEN [BENJAMIN] NEWBERY
Gender: Male Christening: 03 NOV 1652 West Ilsley, Berkshire, England
PARENTS not indicated.

3. SARAH NEWBERY
Gender: Female Christening: 01 SEP 1654 West Ilsley, Berkshire, England
PARENTS not indicated.

4. GUALTHERUS [WALTER] NEWBERY
Gender: Male Christening: 04 APR 1648 West Ilsley, Berkshire, England

5. NATHANAEL [NATHANIEL] NEWBERY
Gender: Male Christening: 27 NOV 1649 West Ilsley, Berkshire, England

6. FRANCIS NEWBERY
Gender: Male Christening: 17 APR 1651 West Ilsley, Berkshire, England
PARENTS not indicated.

----------------------

A compilation of possible origins for the above given names:

HUMPHREY (Humphry / Humfredi / Humfredus): Means "peaceful warrior" from the Germanic elements hun "warrior" and frid "peace". The Normans introduced this name to Britain.

HENRY (Henrici / Hernicus): From the Germanic name Heimerich which meant "home ruler", composed of the elements heim "home" and ric "power, ruler". This name was introduced into Britain by the Normans. It was borne by eight kings of England including the infamous Henry VIII, as well as six kings of France and seven kings of Germany.

WALTER (Gaultherus / Gauthier / Gaulthems): From a Germanic name meaning "ruler of the army", composed of the elements wald "rule" and heri "army".

NATHANAEL (Nathaniel): From the Hebrew name Nethane'el which meant "God has given".

BENJAMIN (Benjamen):From the Hebrew name Binyamin which means "son of the south" or "son of the right hand". Benjamin in the Old Testament was the twelfth and youngest son of Jacob and the founder of one of the southern tribes of the Hebrews.

FRANCIS: From the Late Latin name Franciscus which meant "Frenchman". Saint Francis of Assisi, the founder of the Franciscan order of friars.

SARAI (Sarah / Sarae): Means "lady" or "princess" in Hebrew. This was the name of the wife of Abraham in the Old Testament. She became the mother of Isaac at the age of 90. Her name was originally Sarai, but God changed it (see Genesis 17:15).
medieval research

Offline suemoo2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: NEWBERRY/ANSELL 1733 - DANIEL NEWBERRY b.1815
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 April 09 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,  
I am related to Daniel Newberry, 6th and last child of Richard Newberry b1772 and Elizabeth Maddle b1778.
Daniel was born 1815 and Christened 15 October 1815.  He was convicted of stealing in Hertford Q.S. on 27 June 1836 and transported to Australia on the "Asia V (3)" (ie: the 5th transport by the name of "Asia" on her 3rd voyage as a convict transport).  Sailed from Torbay, Devon UK on 4 August 1837.   Daniel was transported for '14 years'.
She was ship-rigged, 523 tons, Class AE1, built in Calcutta in 1814 of Teak. The Master
was Ben Freeman. Surgeon was Jn. Gannon.
Daniel was listed as 21 years on entry in the Indent of the 'Asia'.  280 male convicts were
embarked in Torbay, UK, 3 died on the voyage, and 277 arrived in Sydney on 2 December
1837, after 120 days.  
Daniel died 26 October 1873 aged 57 years at Charleyong NSW - Death registered NSW
Births Deaths & Marriages Registration No: 3523/1873 Charleyong, Braidwood District - surname shown as 'Newbury'.

Daniel married  Margaret Jenkinson on 16 July 1844 (shown on church marriage register as "Jenkins") at Christ Church St. Lawrence, Sydney, County of Cumberland.  Marriage
Registration No: V1844 4146 29/1844 MF District - 'MF' = Early Church Record Code for Church of England, Sydney, St. Lawrence's.
Groom's name shown as Daniel Newbury, Bride's name shown as 'Margaret Jenkins'.
Margaret was born 1807  -  On the National Archives of Ireland website, Transportation of Convicts to Australia, name search results = 1 Only entry for Margaret Jenkinson, Trial date shown as June 1837 and her age being 26 = DOB 1811, BUT on ships indent for "Sir Charles Forbes" her age is shown as 30 = DOB 1807.                                          
Margaret Jenkinson was transported to Australia on the ship "Sir Charles Forbes (4)" (ie: on her 4th voyage as a convict ship) which sailed from Dublin, Ireland on 8 August 1837 and arrived in Sydney on 25 December 1837.  At sea for 136 days.  150 women
boarded and 147 arrived in Sydney.  Master was Jas. Leslie and Surgeon was Wm. Clifford.  Was listed as 'married' on transport indent.  Maiden name and birthplace 'unknown'.
She was convicted of Larceny (stealing potatoes), property of "Ballymoat" Glenealy, County Wicklow, Ireland. Place of Trial:  Co. Wicklow   Sentence:    Transportation  7 Years.  
She was assigned to place in Elizabeth Street, Sydney.  Broke her leg and admitted to Hyde Park Asylum.  Institution admitted - Newington Asylum on 19 January 1885.  Discharged (died) 13 April 1894 - Pauper at Newington Asylum, Sydney.  Margaret
was Buried 14 April 1894 in Roman Catholic Cemetery, Rookwood NSW - Death registered NSW Births Deaths & Marriages Registration No: 5820/1894 - Granville District - Parents shown as 'Unknown'.

NB:  20 April 2009 - I contacted Rookwood Cemetery Catholic Office for details on where
Margaret Newberry (nee Jenkinson) was buried - where could I find her grave if I were to go to the cemetery.  They requested a copy of her death certificate, which I sent and this is their reply:
"I have searched all the old record books (3 record books for each burial) and there is no
interment for Margaret Newberry in the Catholic Cemetery at Rookwood.  I contacted the
other denominations, that is Anglican and Independent and they have advised that they had no interment.
Unfortunately, in the early years, the funeral directors filled out the papers prior to the
service and the cemetery would be changed but not the paperwork.  I phoned Waverley
Cemetery as it happened quite a lot between Waverley and Rookwood but they advised
no interment for Margaret.
I really cannot help other than what I have already done.  You may like to try other
cemeteries.  Or maybe they had a burial ground in Newington Asylum."

2009:  NB:   Charleyong Cemetery - As the old Charleyong cemetery is on land owned by
the Sydney Catchment Authority (SCA) it is not open to the public and would be flooded if
the Welcome reef dam is ever built.  Only 1 headstone remains today.

Braidwood Times Newspaper, Wednesday 21 January 2009 Edition:  Front Page.
At the Historic Braidwood Cemetery a Memorial Wall recording burials of early
residents at the Charleyong Cemetery between 1864 and 1904 was unveiled.
Daniel Newberry is one  of those pioneers buried in Charleyong but on the wall
his name has been incorrectly recorded as 'David' Newberry and his place of
death is recorded as England.
These details are of course totally incorrect - his one and only chance of having
his name recorded in stone and it has been blown.

see next posting re: Daniel's cousin - Thomas Omant.

Offline suemoo2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: NEWBERRY/ANSELL 1733 - Further to DANIEL NEWBERRY - his cousin THOMAS OMANT
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 April 09 09:59 BST (UK) »
NOTE:  Daniel's partner in crime was his cousin, Thomas Omant born 1818.
Thomas was Christened on 18 January 1818 in Ickleford, Hertfordshire UK.
Thomas was transported "For Life" to Van Diemans Land (Tasmania) on the ship
"Blenheim" (1).  Departed London/Woolwich 15 March 1837 and arrived in
Hobart 16 July 1837. 204 Convicts landed.
Thomas was a son of John Oment/Omant and Mary Newberry married on
18 May 1806 in Ickleford, Hertfordshire UK.  Mary Newberry was 1st of 12 children born to Thomas Newberry b1762 and Ann Thompson b1763.

Thomas married Jane Eyles in Oatlands Tasmania, Australia in 1851.  On the Archives
Office of Tasmania website - www.tas.gov.au - 'Convict Application to Marry 1829-1857' -
shows an entry for:
Jane Eyles (convict) and Thomas Omit (Omant) (free) 6 May 1851.

Jane Eleanor Eyles was a convict.  She was transported to Van Diemans Land
(Tasmania) on the ship "Baretto Junior 1" (ie: the 1st transport by the name of Baretto
Junior as a convict transport).  Departed Downs 13 April 1850 and arrived in Hobart
25 July 1850 after 103 days.  190 female convicts embarked, 4 died on voyage, and
186 landed.  The Master was J. Hugging.  Surgeon was R. Whitmore Clarke.
Jane was an inmate at "Cascades Female Factory" - on New Year's Day 1851 the
Cascades held 730 women and 130 infants.
Jane was born in Melksham, Wiltshire UK 1827/8 (she was listed as age 23 when she
arrived) and died in 1901 and was buried 19 March 1901 (Aged 73 years), her last address was 'New Town Charitable Institution'.  Buried as a Pauper in Cornelian Bay Cemetery, Tasmania.
Thomas died in 1899 and was buried 25 July 1899 (Aged 84 years?) - his last address
was 'New Town Charitable Institution'. Buried as a Pauper in Cornelian Bay Cemetery,
Tasmania

My Newberry family information goes back to Joseph Newberry born before 1713 in Arlesey, Hertfordshire UK and was Chistened on 3 December 1766 in Arlesey, Hertfordshire UK.  Joseph married by Banns, Arabella Ansel on 24 October 1733 in Ickleford, Hertfordshire UK.  Joseph died in 1766 and was buried 3 December 1766 in Arlesey, Hertfordshire.
Arabella was born 16 January 1715 in Ickleford and died 26 March 1768 and was buried
27 March 1768 in Arlesey, Hertfordshire.
Arabella was the daughter of Thomas Ansel (born before 1694 and died April 1728, buried 2 May 1728 in Ickleford) and Elizabeth Richardson (born before 1694 in Arlesey).  Thomas and Elizabeth were married 3 September 1714 Holwell, Hertfordshire.  Thomas andElizabeth had two other children (Arabella's siblings) - Henry born 1717 and Thomas
born 1722.

Joseph & Arabella had 9 children.

Hope this information is of some help to those looking for Newberry family members.
Daniel Newberry was my great great grandfather.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 April 09 17:31 BST (UK) »
Just a couple of points from Arlesey parish register transcript:

"Joseph Newberry born before 1713 in Arlesey, Hertfordshire  Bedfordshire, not Hertfordshire. But what evidence is there that he was from Arlesey? The baptism of Thomas in 1734 is the first Newberry entry in Arlesey parish register. Interestingly in a number of the early entries the name was described as Newberry alias Monk. Has any research been done on this alternative name? Again there are no earlier Monk entries in Arlesey UK and was Chistened on 3 December 1766 in Arlesey, Hertfordshire UK There's no baptism in the parish register and as it supposedly took place on the day he was buried I question it. I've heard of death bed baptisms, but not after death.  Joseph married by Banns, Arabella Ansel on 24 October 1733 in Ickleford, Hertfordshire UK.  Joseph died in 1766 and was buried 3 December 1766 in Arlesey, Hertfordshire.
Arabella was born 16 January 1715 in Ickleford and died 26 March 1768 No date of death is given in the parish register, just the burial date.and was buried 27 March 1768 in Arlesey, Hertfordshire. "

David

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock