Author Topic: Amazing coincidence!  (Read 968 times)

Offline Zeb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Amazing coincidence!
« on: Monday 06 September 04 07:07 BST (UK) »
While bored one night (about 4am) I decided to use Google's toolbar to help me search for anything on the web that might be associated with my family tree.  While searching for the Woodcock branch" in Birmingham I entered a few select words like "william woodcock emma harriet george harold", made sure the highlighter was selected and started searching.

About 30-odd search result pages in I came across someone's guestbook entry for someone's Woodcock site so I clicked the link and scrolled down to the entry.  Sure enough, this was just what I was looking for.  Matching names for the parents and all of the children including the location, Birmingham but, the thing that got me was that the year mentioned was exactly 20 years earlier.

Confused I looked up the email address of the person who posted the message and sent them an email.  Then I looked at their website where they had an old family photograph.  One of the men at the back looked very similar to my granddad but the year under the photograph would have made him to be about 20 years older than he would have been at that time.

Even now looking through old family photographs I've got going back to my great grandparents there's an awful lot of family resemblance through the generations.

A couple days later I received an email back informing me that it was in fact a different family - she had got all the dates through parish records and birth/death certificates.

It just happened to be a massive coincidence.  A William Woodcock had married an Emma in Birmingham and had children which included the same names as my family in the same place but 20 years earlier.  After more research on my part and help from a couple members of this board I discovered it was a massive coincidence afterall!  Only major difference apart from the 20 year gap was the surname of William's wife, Emma, which I later found out.

What's the chances of that?

Moral? Double check the dates and double check them again!  ;D
Derby: WOODCOCK (Donnington)
Devon: HARRIS (Plymouth)
Lancashire: DERRICK
Lincolnshire: CROPPER, WOODCOCK (Boston)
London: BARKER, DUGGIN, HARRIS, HINTON, HULBERT, WHITE
Wales: HARRIS, PRITCHARD (Pembrokeshire)
Warwickshire: DERRICK, WOODCOCK
Desperate for my Woodcocks from Birmingham!

Paul E

Re: Amazing coincidence!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 July 05 07:10 BST (UK) »
I've only just read this Zeb - but an interesting warning. :)

I wonder if you'll come up with any connection at all between these families, in the future, or whether they are totally unrelated?

cheers

Paul

Offline jinks

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Thomas Pye
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing coincidence!
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 July 05 18:38 BST (UK) »
I had two Mercer Families with nearly identical
names one with fourteen children and the
other with sixteen children.

I thought they must be related.(and so noted both) I knew one was my Grandfathers Grandparents,   but was the other their parents.

After checking out a few baptisms... yes indeed
my assumption was correct.

So it also pays to make note of possible relations
rather than go over old ground.

Jinks
Ashton Lancashire
Eccles Lancashire
Fletcher Lancashire
Harwood Church/Darwen
Jackson Staffordhire/Worcestershire
Jenkinson Cockerham
Marsden Hoghton Lancashire