Author Topic: Slightly off-topic, but...  (Read 6611 times)

Offline Zeb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Slightly off-topic, but...
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 September 04 10:10 BST (UK) »
Since there's no information on living relatives at the moment I've changed the website icon to point to my family tree.  When I get round to adding them I'll remove it.
Derby: WOODCOCK (Donnington)
Devon: HARRIS (Plymouth)
Lancashire: DERRICK
Lincolnshire: CROPPER, WOODCOCK (Boston)
London: BARKER, DUGGIN, HARRIS, HINTON, HULBERT, WHITE
Wales: HARRIS, PRITCHARD (Pembrokeshire)
Warwickshire: DERRICK, WOODCOCK
Desperate for my Woodcocks from Birmingham!

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 September 04 10:16 BST (UK) »
Looks good to me Zeb. I'm off to do a web-page course later this month - my husband thinks it is for the family company's benefit.... ;)
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 September 04 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi all,   ;D

Trystan is the techie of the site,  so I have pointed him at this thread.   :D

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

madbadrob

« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 September 04 10:57 BST (UK) »
Ok I for once will disagree here.  The site is about genealogy not computers and if there was to be a section aimed at that then it would kill the rest.  Also our American cousins and now to some extent ourselves are in a litigation world.  Anyone using advice from this site could potentially sue Trystan should they follow advice given and as a direct cause of that action they lose everything so no I don't feel this is the place for this.
Now that is said the concept itself would be good if limited to say website help not everyone is HTML conversant

rob

Offline Zeb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 September 04 11:08 BST (UK) »
I agree with you completely.  When I suggested a help section I didn't actually mean a large section devoted to it but just a small section where someone could ask for advice about how for example what format to use when saving pictures out or even how to add text onto a photograph or where someone can get web space from cheaply.

I'd never actually recommend trying to learn HTML or any of the scripting languages as there are perfectly capable programs out there that will generate an entire site by the genealogy data it contains which can then be tweaked using another application like DreamWeaver.

I'm fully aware of the legal issues when offering help when it comes to computers.  I used to work for Telewest Broadband installing their services into customer's homes and we were given a list of things we can and cannot do.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 September 04 11:11 BST (UK) »
The site is about genealogy not computers

... but everybody here uses computers,
... and not everybody is computer literate,
... and some of the problems relate directly to genealogy software
... and other problems are related to trying to use computers for genealogical purposes
... etc, etc

The point of having a seperate board, is that those who need it, find it quickly, those who don't need it, can ignore it, and individual queries don't "clutter up" the normal, genealogical boards.

I am not sure about the legal aspects, but there are loads of sites offering computer advice, and as long as all advice is offered on a "good faith" basis, with the usual disclaimers, I don't think there is anything to worry about.

I am on two other boards, ScotlandsPeople and GenesReunited, and I don't have the feeling there, that the computer problems have taken over the boards.

As to website advice, I agree with Zeb here.

Try it and see ??  
The Moderators can always re-decide on this, according to how it works out in practice !

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 September 04 11:53 BST (UK) »
totally agree with you Bob.

Sometimes it only needs somebody to do a step by step list of instructions to help you with something. We are not asking for a full it course.

A great idea.

Diane :)
Stevenson,Seabrook,Gravestock,Lee - Cambs. Geden and varients -  Warks. Oxf. Green- Beds and London. Foster, Little - Essex. Sheldrick - Surrey and London? Smith - Bucks. Coulling - Oxf.

Offline Zeb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 06 September 04 20:35 BST (UK) »
If there's a shortage of "experts" in this field then I'd be happy to volunteer time as a moderator.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 10 September 04 09:13 BST (UK) »
Calling RootsChat !

Any progress on these ideas and suggestions ?
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)