Author Topic: 1841 Census look-up please - Samuel RICHARDSON  (Read 13119 times)

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census look-up please - Samuel RICHARDSON
« Reply #18 on: Friday 02 October 15 21:40 BST (UK) »
Wow, I didn't expect a response to a thread unused for such a time - perfect. And I have to thank you as I had misidentified the family of the wife, Elizabeth, of Samuel Richardson. I can see now that it was Chesters and the two were married at Cathedral Manchester on 24 Nov 1861.

My own genetic trail is down the line of Samuel's son Arthur Samuel b1866 (who moved to Manchester), and his son Arthur Richardson b1894 was my grandfather (who moved to Norwich). It came as quite a surprise to find that we would have been Hitchinson's but for the Darnhall affair. It was also quite a surprise to find I was living only a few miles from my roots, purely by chance having been born in Norfolk, raised in London, worked in Kent, and moved with work to Cheshire.

I assume getting married in Manchester was a reflection that the family still felt under threat, and that a local marriage might just attract too much attention. Have you had much success with tracking the family back up the Hitchinson line?

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 02 October 15 23:16 BST (UK) »
Just noticed - Mary Hickton 1871 census widowed, occupation Publican, Crewe, Monks Coppenhall. I wonder which pub, and how common it was in those days for a widow to run a pub ?

Samuel Richardson was InnKeeper, Bears Head, Brereton 1881 & 1891 census, looks like he raised his large family there. He is buried in the graveyard - I have a photo of the gravestone if you are interested. Nice place, too, the Bears Head! As an ex-publican, Mary (now Downing) would have known the trade when she was living in Brereton.

Offline Dea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 03 October 15 08:40 BST (UK) »
Good morning Steve.

It's going to be a busy weekend for me - I have been sitting at my desk since 7.15am surrounded by files and files of old paperwork on this branch of the family and am steadily trawling through it to collate the info we need.

I have also found an old back up disc which, though not up to date, may give me some basics to show to you. - I 'may' be able to read that from the disc which I will try when I am properly awake.

I will come back to you the minute I have something sorted.

Dea x

Offline Dea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 03 October 15 15:33 BST (UK) »
Still here - still struggling !!!

If you are a whizz at computers - PLEASE come on here and help me !!!

Dea Xxx

Offline Dea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 04 October 15 12:12 BST (UK) »
Still working on it but I 'am' getting there slowly  :)

You asked about the Pub which Mary Hickton was running in 1871 - well, according to a Directory dated 1874 the pub was at that time called the 'Hop Pole Inn' (142 Wistanton Rd) but by then the Landlord was a William Large and Mary and her new husband Samuel Downing had moved to 2 Church St.

Dea x

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 04 October 15 19:09 BST (UK) »
Glad to hear you are making progress with the computer. Looks like the Hop Pole Inn still exists (as the Hope Pole Hotel).

As Hickton is your speciality - when did Samuel Hickton die?

Also I see that Mary married Samuel Downing on 16th March 1871, so why did she put her marital status on 2nd April 1871 census as Widowed, and her name as Hickton (maybe keeping the name was helpful for the pub licence)? Samuel Downing also put his marital status as widowed in the census with a child William J Downing b Haslington 1856, but I have not had much success in tracking down earlier records for Samuel, except for a child Peter with parents Samuel and Maria Downing in Haslington in 1858.

Offline Dea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 05 October 15 09:21 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I have never been able to find a death or a burial for Samuel Hickton.

Dea x

Offline Dea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 09:14 BST (UK) »
Right then, at long last I have found some things which may be of interest to you. - I still can't see my desk as there are papers piled all over it  ;D

If you would likecopies of any of these, I have:

a copy of Samuel's will from 1916.
Birth cert of Peter Richardson born 1846 - son of John Richardson and Maria Percival (also these are Samuel's (1838) parents )
Birth cert of George Richardson (1862) son of Samuel Richardson + Elizabeth Chesters.
I am sure I have more certs etc. which I have not yet uncovered.

I have not traced anything back from John Richardson (Hitchinson) c 1809 who was Samuel's father but on his mother's side (Maria Percival) I have traced back as far as 1680.

I am happy to share any or all of this - just let me know what you would like.

Dea x

Offline Dea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 08 October 15 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi there - I don't know how to work this site any better than you do !!!

Are you still around and wanting to share info ???

Dea Xxx