Author Topic: 1841 Census look-up please - Samuel RICHARDSON  (Read 13118 times)

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census look-up please - Samuel RICHARDSON
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 08 October 15 23:17 BST (UK) »
George Richardson b1862, appears in my notes as George John Richardson and has children with wife named as Sarah Errington of Uttoxeter (b1857) - though can't find a record of the marriage. Confusingly he seems to have swapped to using John George as his name at some stage, so for example :
John Samuel Richardson Chr 1/8/1886 Father George John, Mother Sarah Errington
William Arthur Richardson Chr 29/1/1888 Father John George, Mother Sarah Errington

However at the same time, Samuel's older brother John b1832, had a son John b1859, who married Sarah, and moved into Brereton. So if George John calls himself John then confusion is possible.

Also I have now 4 George Percival Richardsons - b1834, b1866, b1878 and b1899 - and now the 1866 one seems to have become 1870. Its no good - there are too many I think I need to step away and come back for a fresh look when rested.

Offline Dea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 09 October 15 09:57 BST (UK) »
Well, I can easily solve the first problem for you - this is their marriage:

Marriages Jun 1885   (>99%)
Richardson    George        Uttoxeter    6b   419    
RYDER    Sarah Errington         Uttoxeter    6b   419    

She was Sarah Errington RYDER - daughter of John Ryder (schoolmaster) and Mary Ryder (formerly WALDEN)

Born 28th January, 1857. - Bradley Street, Uttoxeter.

I will take a look into your other queries later.

Dea x

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 09 October 15 11:14 BST (UK) »
Brilliant - I should have realised Sarah Errington was her first and middle name and not her maiden name, so probably somone up her family tree was an Errington. My own Grandmother had her mothers surname as her middle name - so her middle name was James! I used to think that very strange.

If I have managed to master this system, then below should be a picture of the gravestone of Samuel Richardson, Elizabeth, and their son William Arthur. This is in Brereton graveyard, as are several other Richardson gravestones.

Offline Dea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 09 October 15 12:03 BST (UK) »
Yes Steve, they often made a habit of putting a mothers maiden name as a middle name and carrying it down the line.  I expect that is why all your George's have the middle name of Percival which was the maiden name of Maria who married John (parents of Samuel c 38).

I do have a copy of George's birth cert though (son of Samuel + Elizabeth Chesters) and there is no middle name recorded on that one.

What a beautiful old gravestone that is - did you happen to notice if there were any 'Hitchinson' graves in that cemetery ?

Dea x

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 09 October 15 12:39 BST (UK) »
Thats strange FamilySearch indicates George John Richardson christened Brereton 25 March 1862, parents Samuel and Elizabeth Richardson. No image available to confirm. They do have some typos in there that have caught me out before (like Denbighshire being entered as Derbyshire), but I thought that would be correct.

I didn't look for Hitchinson graves. The Hitchinson name is centred around Darnhall and Over - I have searched the St Chad graveyard at Over but I didn't get any hits - the gravestones that old are in poor condition. I will have to visit Byley church one day.

Offline Dea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 09 October 15 12:52 BST (UK) »
Extra names are often added at baptism so that is what must have happened in this case.  It is certainly not on his birth cert.

Dea x

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 09 October 15 14:39 BST (UK) »
Can I test you opinion of Samuel Richardson's siblings before looking up the Hitchinson tree?

As children of John Hitchinson (who changed his name to John Richardson c1829) I have :

Hannah b1830 d1917 mSamuel Wood 1860
John b1831 d1909 m1857Hannah Mitchell raised family in Brereton
George Percival b1834 dUnknown m1861Sarah Downes raised family in Middlewich/Byley
Samuel b1837 we know about
Mary b1840 I don't know about but think stayed single (last census 1881)
James b1842 dUnknown mMargaret from St Asaph -date unknown
Eliza b1845 may have died as a child
Peter b1846 dUnknown mHannah from Cranage, rest I have yet to discover

As you can see I have some gaps to fill here.

Have you seen the little booklet on the Darnhall poachers - by Don Tonkinson? That says that the witness John Hitchinson changed his name to Richardson after the poachers were let off under appeal on a technicality - but it occurs to me that his siblings may have done something similar.

Offline Dea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 09 October 15 19:44 BST (UK) »
I have heard about that booklet on the Darnhall poachers but I haven't actually seen a copy.

I have had the grandchildren after school today so haven't had time to do much as yet but will look over the weekend re info on Samuel's siblings.

One thing does occur to me though - the christening you have for  George John Richardson christened Brereton 25 March 1862, parents Samuel and Elizabeth Richardson.

There is something strange about this as I have the birth cert and he wasn't born until 10th April 1862 - some 2 weeks after the christening ???

I also note that you have Eliza born in 1845 - I believe that Peter and Eliza were actually twins and as Peter's birth cert has the time of birth 1.am recorded this would seem to confirm that he was a twin as this was usual at the time to give proof for inheritance purposes as to which one was the first born.

I think that Eliza probably died in the first Quarter of 1851 as she did not appear on that census

Deaths Mar 1851 
RICHARDSON    Eliza         Northwich    19   147

Dea x

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 10 October 15 13:18 BST (UK) »
Looks like a typo from me re Peter and Eliza - I had the christening date for both as 1st April 1846 - which in itself doesn't mean twins as there was a 4 year gap from James. As you have the birth certificates then that clinches it.

Are birth certificates available on-line? All I know how to access is the FreeBMD data and that is per quarter, and lacks details.