Author Topic: 1841 Census look-up please - Samuel RICHARDSON  (Read 13101 times)

Offline Dea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841 Census look-up please - Samuel RICHARDSON
« on: Thursday 01 December 05 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Could anyone please do a look-up for me on 1841 census for a Samuel Richardson born c 1839 - Yatehouse, Cheshire.

I would be very grateful for any help with this.

Many thanks,

Dea

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census look-up please - Samuel RICHARDSON
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 December 05 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dea

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Here are your family in 1841, all born in the county

HO107-121-18-Folio 5    Byley cum Yatehouse Middlewich

John Richardson 31 ag lab
Maria 33
Hannah 10
John 8
George 6
Samuel 4
Mary 1

Very difficult to read them but I think I have them all correct.

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline Dea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 December 05 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you SO much Peter - I had been told you were an angel and you are !!

I am very grateful to have the information but it doesn't seem to help at the moment - I am trying to connect Samuel somehow with the family of Thomas Richardson born c 1817 in Stoney Stratford, Bucks but moved to Monks Coppenhall, Cheshire - I KNOW they are connected but can't find the link.

However,  Thank you so much for your response - Another link in my chain - It WILL connect sooner or later.

Many thanks again,

Dea

Offline Dea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 December 05 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Peter,

May I ask for a little more help please?

The Samuel you mentioned above aged 4 - He married an Elizabeth and I have him with sister-in-law Mary Downing on 1891 (where incidentally, she appears twice on that census!)

Anyway, I am trying to sort out the sister-in-law relationship and it would help if I knew if Mary had a sister Elizabeth.

Could you therefore try to find Mary on 1841 for me ? - She
was born Middlewich (or Clive)  c 1836 - Her father was probably Stephen Chesters (Ag. lab.)

I can't pin her down in 1851 but have her on all census's after that - she married a Hickton in 1856, then in 1871 a Downing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dea

P.S. - I have found Samuel Richardson on the 1851 - living as a Farm Labourer (Servant) In Byley cum Yatehouse - In the same Household is another servant - Ann CHESTERS - born c 1829 - Warton, Cheshire - NOT the one he married but possibly a sister to Elizabeth (his wife), and the reason for them meeting?

Dea

P.P.S.

P.S. - It gets worse - Just noticed on the 1851 - Samuel RICHARDSON's parents are in the household next door AND Samuel HICKTON (The one who married Mary CHESTERS ) is a few households away with his parents + siblings.

Dea

Offline peterbennett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 December 05 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Sorry, spent a few hours on it and haven't come up with anything as yet, only maybe the same as yourself, that a Elizabeth Latham married Stephan Chesters at Davenham 1829, he seems to have died Middlewich 1846, and maybe Elizabeth also before the 1851.

There is no name index for the 1841 census in the areas you are interested in, and unreadable in certain districts.

It does look however that Elizabeth and Samuel Richardson's first daughter was registered as Flora Chesters not Richardson and was born in Wharton 1860, so who did Elizabeth know in Wharton well enough to have her child there ? it may be an advantage to obtain the birth certificate of Flora Chesters b1860 to see who registered the birth. as well as a copy of Elizabeth's b1839 Over/Winsford.

There does not seem to be a marriage for Samuel and Elizabeth, unless you have found one, if so again the certificate would be a great help. Also the fathers details on the marriage certificate of one of Mary's marriages may also tie in with Elizabeths birth details.

hope this is of help

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline Dea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 December 05 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Peter,

Brilliant, yet again !! - I still don't know how it all fits together though.

I will put Elizabeth + Stephen Chesters to one side for now !

How did you find out that Flora was born Warton and known as Flora Chesters?

Anyway, this is VERY interesting as I looked up her birth and it was Registered June quarter 1859 as Flora KENT Chesters.

When I found Samuel Richardson + Ann Chesters in 1851 - both as servants - the Head of the household was George KENT c 1805 (Lawton)  !!!!!!!!!

I have sent for the birth certificate and will see what 'goodies' that brings - I can't wait!!

Thanks for your help - I will let you know what transpires.

Dea

Offline peterbennett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 December 05 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

How did you find out that Flora was born Warton and known as Flora Chesters?

The first thing I do when I cannot find a marriage is to check where and when the children were born this helps place the mum  in a specific area at a definite date (dont always trust census birth places). I could not find a birth for first child Flora Richardson so checked the http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ for Flora Chesters, seeing that she was born 1859 I checked the 1861 census and found in Yatehouse.

RG9-2607-F73

George Kent head 55 farmer 66 acres Lawton
Ann Kent wife 33 Manchester
William son 9 Yatehouse
Alfred son 7 Yatehouse
Robert son 3 Yatehouse
Flora Chesters niece 1 Wharton
Elizabeth Chesters servant 22 Yatehouse
Jane Latham visitor 14 Clive
Peter Richardson 14 ag lab Yatehouse

There is obviously a link between the names Latham, Kent, Chesters and Richardson, but there is no point in getting to excited until you see what the certificates have to say.

peterbennett

Offline Dea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 December 05 13:55 GMT (UK) »
I SO agree Peter - This is the household I found on the 1851 - The link is obviously there but I sent for the cert for Flora's birth and will persue things further once that arrives.

This is such a 'tangled web' !! (a challenge though !).

Thank you for all your help - I will let you know what I find.

Best regards,

Dea

Offline Dea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Well,

I got Flora's birth cert.

Elizabeth Chesters was her mother - no father named, but a middle name for her - 'KENT'.

Obviously father was one of the Kent household, but which one???

No further forward!

Dea