Author Topic: Ellen Matilda WOOLSTON  (Read 3002 times)

Offline ronny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ellen Matilda WOOLSTON
« on: Friday 02 December 05 15:27 GMT (UK) »
i am looking for my grandmother's,mother.my grandmother's name is Ellen Margaret woolston.born on the 23rd DEC 1909.under fathers name is blank,and under mothers name is Ellen Matilda woolston.domestic servant.in a place called offley.i have searched the 1901 census for her but found nothing.would appreciate any help on this subject

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ellen matilda woolston
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 December 05 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ronny

Welcome to Rootschat!

Ther is a Matilda Ellen WOLLSTONE b 1889 in Brighton living in Hertfordshire in 1901 - could she be the one?

Will find the ref for you now

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Matilda WOOLSTON
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 December 05 15:59 GMT (UK) »
RG13/1300/108/3

WOLLSTON John H M 46 - market gardener - Staffordshire
WOLLSTON Ellen W M 46 - Brighton Sussex
WOLLSTON Matilda Ellen dau 12 - ditto

Address: Langley Bottom, Hertfordshire

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline ronny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 December 05 15:08 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the reply,Ive searched the census,s and only found the 1891 of the one you found.don't know if this is the right one,but i shall follow it up and let you know how i get on.seems she's a bit young to have child at 14/15,but could explain why there's no father on the certificate?anyway at least Ive got a lead                                           
                                                  thanks again
                                                                          Ron

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 December 05 15:30 GMT (UK) »
My maths is a bit faulty, but if Matilda Ellen was 12 in 1901 and her child was born in 1909 - she would have been 20, surely?

I am assuming that you posted in Hertfordshire because that is where Ellen Margaret was born?  It seems quite a coincidence of names if Matilda Ellen isn't the mother, as there are not many WOLLSTONs or variant spellings anywhere.

I think all you can do for now is keep it as an option.  Have you found a marriage for Ellen Margaret?  Maybe there will be a father on her marriage cert - although if she was illegitimate, the name might be fictitious!

Then there is the 1911 census - can you wait that long?  ;D

Offline ronny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 December 05 19:32 GMT (UK) »
good evening arranroots.
                sorry my maths was way out :-[.i have a marriage cert of ellen margaret woolston,married my grandad leslie george denton.under fathers name and surname is a john woolston (labourer).i also have two other birth cert with no father's name on them.
                                                     this afternoon i had a quick look in bmd for matilda helen woolston around 1889 and didnt come up with much,still a bit confused,at the moment ill go searching for this one and see if i come up with any thing else in the cencuses,but i agree with you there is not a lot of woolston,s around that area at that time.
                                              again i am very gratefull to you.and if i get anywhere on this i shall let you know
                                            ronny

Offline petrichor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 February 17 02:22 GMT (UK) »
Good evening/day, I belong to a Woolston family in the USA, I was able to trace my family back to a name Geffrey Wolson in 1563 that's where my data stopped. My family has been in the US since before the civil war and moved from New Jersey to Missouri. I am so thrilled to see the last name Woolston on here. I have been trying to chase down a rumor that my family had rromani, sinti or Irish traveler in it. Feel free to message me.