Author Topic: My Norfolk Surnames  (Read 5925 times)

Offline Gat1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
My Norfolk Surnames
« on: Friday 02 December 05 17:42 GMT (UK) »

Just thought I'd post my surnames and places of interest in Norfolk in case anyone has a similar interest:

Erpingham district (Roughton, Northrepps, Sidestrand, Southrepps etc etc):

Todd
Bowden
Haylett
Cork
Bateman
Jarvis
Hurn
Hewitt

Smallburg district (North Walsham, Edingthorpe, Bacton)

Wild
Kirk
Sayer

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: My Norfolk Surnames
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 December 05 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary,
I have an interest in the Cork name, early 1700s in North Walsham which is not too far from the Erpingham district.  My Ancestor Benjamin Dolton married Ann Cork 1716 and that is almost all the Cork info I have!

Regards. 
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurs

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 April 07 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary
I have just got interested in researching my Family tree.
I have joined no website to help yet.
Just saw your email and joined RootsChatroom.

I just saw this in your post.

'Smallburg district (North Walsham, Edingthorpe, Bacton)
Wild
Kirk
Sayer'

My Father was born in North Walsham.
His name was George Sloper His father was killed in 1914 in the 1st World war.
My father is dead And I dont have a copy of his birth certificate so I dont even
know the names of my Grand parents.
Do you have any suggestions on how I should set about this search
Arthur

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 April 07 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Arthurs

Welcome to Rootschat.  If you know the date of birth of your father, you could buy a copy of his birth certificate, that would give you his father's name.

Or you could search the 1901 census for your father and find him and his family, which would give you his parents (your grandparents) names.  If you search FreeBMD.org.uk you will be able to find your grandparents marriage.  If you send off for that certificate, you will then find out the name of your g.grandfather.  Or just keep searching through the censuses back to 1841 to find ancestors and with a bit of luck you will find out about siblings etc.  Of course, you will in the end need to buy certificates to verify the information you have found.  Then, of course, there is your mother's family to research too.  The further back you go, the more ancestors you will find. 

If you want any more help, or questions answered just ask.  Many of the Rootschatters are far more experienced than I am and between them usually come up with an answer.

Liz

Offline Moses

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 June 07 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary, Saw you letter. I am interested in the Cork family from Sidestrand, Roughton areas.
In particular Robert Cork9( born 1753) and Anne Stapleton family and their son Joseph Cork( born 1783) who married Ann PAnton.
3 of Joseph and Ann children came to Australia, one and possibly 2 were convicts

Bye for now
Lyn Kirkland
Dorey ( Dorset) , Chapman ( Dorset), Marsh ( Dorset) Stevens ( Dorset), Cross ( Cambridge)

Offline Gat1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 June 07 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Moses,

I have Amy Cork (b c1722 in Northrepps or Sidestrand), who married Samuel Todd in 1761 and died in Sidestrand c1796. I think her father is John Cork but that's all I know about 'Cork'. Do you any of these in your tree ?

Gary

Offline Moses

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 June 07 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary,
Neither Amy or John Cork appear in my information. My information starts at 1753. Will keep your name and information on file in ccase I find more
Many thanks
Lyn ( Moses)
Dorey ( Dorset) , Chapman ( Dorset), Marsh ( Dorset) Stevens ( Dorset), Cross ( Cambridge)

Offline amanda t

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 February 10 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary
I notice you haven't been active on RootsChat  for a while, I am hoping you are still interested in family tree stuff? You are listed as being interested in the Wild surname.

I am researching the Wild family of Edingthorpe for a friend.
I have George Wild born 1887 and his father Henry Wild born 1861. In the Ancestry 1901 census they are listed as Wiley and re-transcribed as Wild, in 1891 listed as Wilds and re-transcribed as Wild and I have found Henry in 1881 as Wild and in 1871 as Wiley.  ??? ???

Searching through the GRO indexes the family have been listed as Whiley, Wiley and Wild.

Have you come across this family at all? If so, do you know the reason behind the change of name?

Amanda  :)
Bedfordshire: Myers Newman Hart
Durham: Wilkinson Atkinson Jones Nixon Storey Scott Peacock
Essex: Brooks Kennay
Lincolnshire: Hudson Pell Wilson Fowler
Middlesex: Fiddes Bennett Hunter Brooks
Rutland: Pell
Surrey: Owen
Warwickshire: Dalton
Yorkshire: Nixon Powney
Carmarthen: Jones Pugh
Glam Methyr: Jones Nicholas Parks
Ireland Tyrone: McGill O'Hara

Offline Gat1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 February 10 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Yes I have come across this family. Anna Elizabeth WILD (b1873 Edingthorpe) is my great grandmother. She was the daughter of Robert Wild (b1849) and Elizabeth Kirk (b1847). Robert wild had many siblings, two of which were named Henry Wild (b1846 and 1860).

I too noticed that their surname varies between various census etc but put it down to bad spelling. I would be very interested in any info you have on this family. My tree is available on GenesReunited so if you are a member then please request me tree and also share yours.

Thanks
Gary