Author Topic: Brick wall with Henry Jones b. 1811  (Read 954 times)

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Brick wall with Henry Jones b. 1811
« on: Monday 06 September 04 16:04 BST (UK) »
My Ancestor Henry jones was born abt 1811 going by census. He married Ellen Gibbons born 1812 in Parwich, Derbyshire. They married 7 May 1832 in St oswalds church, Ashbourne.

they lived out their lives in Ashbourne ( King St ), Derbyshire.

I can't find any birth/baptism record for Henry although he always said he was born in Ashbourne and their is a strong line of Jones in Ashbourne.

There is nothing on the lds site or any other site where do I look now. He is already married in 1841 and he was married in 1832 so the marriage certificate wouldn't be much help or would it. What advice would any one have?

Please help me break my brick wall. Henry's occupation was a brewer what does that mean exactly

Thanks for reading and I hope you can give me any advice. Anjo

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brick wall with Henry Jones b. 1811
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 September 04 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Anjo

The following IGI batch gives a number of children baptised to Henry Jones and Ellen. I'm not sure that they all belong to your family as three were baptised in the same year (This could be possible however as their birth dates are not given).
batch  C139095  1820 - 1883  film 1041049 

Do you know when Henry died. Have you checked all the Census records. I had a quick look at 1881 but couldn't identify them. Henry's Death certificate could give his parents and age. Census data would limit the years to be searched for a death.

Try the film  link above on the IGI and get the film details for the parish Church - you may find more information on one of these films (or on the BVRI)

Trish

As far as I know a brewer is a person who brews beer. If he was noted as an employer - he may have owned the brewery.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 September 04 12:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish, The children are his there is 2 years between each child he must have waited to get value for money???
I think Henry died in 1883 but not 100% sure (In Ashboure) Would a death certificate  give parents? I don't have money to throw around but wouldn't mind if there would be more information than just a date.

I have a book on graves in St Oswalds, Ashbourne (as this is where all his family married and were baptised) but there aren't any graves to mark their passing.

I have another posting on this site for an 1841 census as they tend to say whether they were an employer or worker none of the other census I have seen have said.
Haven't had a reply yet though.

There was a Jones and son brewery or bottle factory in Ashbourne area but can't find out anything more than that and whether there is a connection to my Henry.

Thanks for all your time and trouble. Many thanks Anjo

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 September 04 12:35 BST (UK) »
I have found who I am fairly sure is your Henry Jones on the 1881 census,do you have this info or shall I post it?
Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 September 04 12:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks but I have that info. Thanks all the same

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 September 04 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Anjo

I agree on the money side of things but with English BDM it seems there is no other way to track parents - unless you can get the information from church records. I've been searching in Australia & Scotland & all their indexes show parents, so I have a sob at trying to find my English ancestors.
Details of what is contained on each certificate is here
http://www.familyrecords.gov.uk/topics/bmd_2.htm  with death certificate NOT containing parents - forgive me - I thought it would - It does everywhere else in my world (sob again). The church records of funerals may be a better option - or if you can check the local papers for Ashbourne you may find a death notice/funeral notice or obituary. If he was a part owner of the brewery, there could well be an obituary around. This is presumably the death from FreeBDM
Mar 1883 JONES  Henry  72  Ashborne  7b 396
From http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Pigot1835/namesil.html
Pigots Directory 1835 there is only one Jones from Ashbourne - Joseph and if you search here http://www.historicaldirectories.org/HistDir/HTML/counties.htm
you may find something about the brewery. This may be the same data in a different format http://www.historicaldirectories.org/
Good luck with the search
Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 September 04 15:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish, I will try them out thanks for everything anjo