Author Topic: VAUS - London  (Read 12635 times)

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: VAUS - London
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 January 08 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi, have you seen Online Document PROB 11/1013
Will of John Vance , Waterman of Saint John Southwark , Surrey
Date: 1775.
Source: DocumentsOnline (images of documents from The National Archives)?
Jamie.

It only mentions his daughter Ann, wife of Solomon FERGUSON. :(
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barnbarroch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Drat!
Better luck next time!

Offline Barnbarroch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 November 11 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Now I'm researching all Vans/Vaus/Vance variants, including your watermen - I'm wondering whether you'd be willing to pass on the whole of that bit of your tree, in a gedcom? It'd save me a fair amount of work and the risk of errors or omissions - and if I ever find anything to add, of course I'll let you know.

Are you descended from them? Are you aware of Archibald, the card-maker? He might be where they come from, if his family went downhill - as they could have. He was descended from the Vans family of Barnbarroch, I know - but I don't know exactly how!

Jamie.

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 November 11 18:40 GMT (UK) »
I'll send you a PM.  :D
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline Shandvill

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 August 14 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've just taken a stroll around the church of St Mary Horsham West Sussex. I came across a gravestone with Benjamin Vaus. I was curious as he is stated as living in Shipley, Sussex, my village 8 or so miles away. I googled him and found your thread. I believe the date of his death was 18.. So perhaps a later ancestor than the one you are searching for, but I thought this might be a clue in your quest.

Offline Barnbarroch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 August 14 17:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you, he's new to me, I'll track him down!
Jamie.

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 August 14 13:18 BST (UK) »
Another rootschatter, Lisa in California is researching VAUS in Sussex

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=678556.msg5250795#msg5250795

I haven't found a link between to the Sussex VAUS yet.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline Barnbarroch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 August 14 13:56 BST (UK) »
Do you have a coherent version of the Sussex Vaus family? I'd be really grateful to someone to share that with me to save me redoing all the research.
Jamie.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 August 14 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi:

I am in the middle of researching three other family surnames, so my Vaus facts are definitely not as clear as they could be.  But, summing up:

My Vaus ancestor, William Vaus, was married in Itchingfield, Sussex (1748 - surname spelled Vous); Church Warden in Shipley (c1756); and died in 1796, I believe burial place unknown.  His son, also William Vaus, was christened in Shipley (1761), lived in Horsham at one point and was buried in Shipley (1839).

William (1761) had sons named William, James, Joseph and Benjamin.  Names were handed down through the generations and I believe the Vaus branches had at least two Benjamins.

We do not know where the "first" William Vaus was born.  Family tales state the name was originally Vaux and that ancestors were French.  I have seen our family records with Vous, Vaus and Vaux spellings.  (Also, an occasional Vans, when the transcriber could not read the original writing.  It's understandable, as the name is not common.)

Barnbarroch, I started researching before computers were commonly available.  Unfortunately, except for a very brief tree on one of the pay sites, all of my information has been recorded non-electronically.  Not a wise move on my part, but that's what I have done.  I believe I have seen Vaus family trees on one of the pay sites, if you have access to the common site (without naming it).   ;)

Shandvill, welcome to RootsChat.  Thank you for sharing the information.  My Vaus, Francis, Newman, Morgan, Adams, Cooper and Parker lines lived in Shipley (c1700 - c1850), so I have a huge interest in Shipley.

PS  My Vaus ancestors were farmers, but in one of the wills, cattle was mentioned, so I'm not exactly sure what they did.   ;)

Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)