Author Topic: The Salem Chapel Hitchin  (Read 6502 times)

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Salem Chapel Hitchin
« on: Wednesday 07 December 05 18:30 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the church records from the Salem Chapel in Hitchen. Can anyone help???

And also my GGG Grandfather Josiah Petts was born in 1821, he married a Mary Steward.
And his parents were Joseph and Mary.
I have found Josiah up until 1851 census, but I am trying to find him with his parents. Maybe the 1841 census or before.

Can anyone help me?? PLEASE  :)

Thank you.

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: The Salem Chapel Hitchin & 1841 Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 December 05 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pettsey

The LDS do not seem to hold any films for this chapel.  It might be worth contacting HALS to see if they hold any records.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24217.0.html

As you would also like an 1841 lookup, I am going to move your post over to the Hertfordshire LOOKUP REQUESTS board.

I'm afraid that very little of the Herts 1841 has been indexed and it would take a great deal of time to search all of Hitchin.  We have some very kind souls here at RootsChat, so you may get lucky, but please do not be disappointed if you have to wait a while for this.

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Salem Chapel Hitchin
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 December 05 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rick
I have contacted Herts Archives, they have info I need from two of the churches John & All Saints and St Andrews herts. But not the Salem chapel.

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 May 11 09:23 BST (UK) »
"but please do not be disappointed if you have to wait a while for this."  :D

Did you ever find this?

1841 HO 107 447 3 19 Page 9, St John Hertford, District 14, Page 5
"Back Street"
Mary Petts 60
Ebenezer Petts 25
Abel Petts 23
Josiah Petts 20
Levi Petts 16
Joseph Petts 4
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 12:52 BST (UK) »
Nearly 6 years isn't bad! ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 September 13 17:56 BST (UK) »
"but please do not be disappointed if you have to wait a while for this."  :D

Did you ever find this?

1841 HO 107 447 3 19 Page 9, St John Hertford, District 14, Page 5
"Back Street"
Mary Petts 60
Ebenezer Petts 25
Abel Petts 23
Josiah Petts 20
Levi Petts 16
Joseph Petts 4

Just reading through all my old posts. Can't believe I missed you post Ray. Yes I did find that one, but thank you  ;D
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 September 13 18:37 BST (UK) »
I would guess that you have already seen this.

I drive past the new Chapel most weeks.  Would they still hold records?

http://www.ths-baptist.org.uk/history.htm

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 September 13 11:39 BST (UK) »
I did visit and found the headstones of my ancestor's, I didn't get to look inside. I'm not sure what records they hold. The info I got was from HALS.

Pettsy
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 September 13 19:06 BST (UK) »
May be worth asking them.

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865