Author Topic: William Brownrigg, Co.Wicklow, born 1785  (Read 19674 times)

Offline Ross Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Brownrigg, Co.Wicklow, born 1785
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 16:51 BST (UK) »
THIS WAS SENT IN REGARD TO A HENRY BROWNRIGG BORN CIRCA 1782

"Thank you very much for the information that you ent regarding the Michigan branch of the Brownrigg Family.   Being a Hopkins, my interest is in trying to tie your ancestor Elizabeth Hopkins circa 1781 into my large Hopkins group that lived in SW Co. Wicklow.   There was a number of them living on the Townland of Garryhasten just across the border in Wexford at that time.

These Hopkins were part of the C of  I parish at Clonegal but the church records do not go back far enough to record a 1781 baptism of Elizabeth.

A James and Mary Hopkins baptised a son Joseph in 1796...

An Edward Hopkins was born circa 1788 and he was the leaseholder at “The Grove” farm at Garryhasten.

One has to suspect that these two might have been sibling with Elizabeth BUT...

A couple of minor point on your Tree

William Brownrigg in Generation 2 married twice, but the dates don't seem to jibe...Was Margaret Allen the 2nd wife?

I am told that Gore Brownrigg married Jane Sykes on June 20 1868 at Shillelagh, Co. Wicklow.  As the children were born in 1871 and 1872, this makes more sense than the 1877 date. 5 years after they had emigrated.

Good hunting...let me know if something of interest shows up.

P S Much of my data is secondhand from trees on “Worldconnect”

Regards

Ross"

Offline Ross Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 07:24 GMT (UK) »
I believe that William was baptised at Aghold Parish Oct 19 1785 by Abe Brownrigg and Alice Nixon.   You can contact me at (*) for more 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline merlstrom

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Peggy 13 and others,
I am new to my family's genealogy and have just plausibly connected one of my great, great grandmothers back to William Brownrigg, Co. Wicklow, born 1785, one of your gggg grandfathers, making him a gggg grandfather to me also. Very exciting!
A family tree (don't have the name at the moment) noted William as being born in Mullins, Ballynamanoge,Kilcommon,Wicklow. Ballynamanoge is in the Kilcommon parish that is noted in Griffith's Valuation and there's a William Brownrigg cited there as being an occupier of one plot and lessor of an adjacent one.
But is the Mullins / Ballynamanogue tree notation incorrect geography-wise?
For Peggy, I have the information coming down from William to my McGoogan family in Quebec via Shortly. I would be so happy to know more about your family in Quebec as I don't have much data yet.
Thank you to any and all for further guidance!

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline Ross Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Brownrigg, Elizabeth (Hopkins) of Co.Wicklow
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 06 July 22 22:40 BST (UK) »
I am a bit confused on this connection! Can anyone help?

The Clonegal Parish records ( a transcription) show a marriage -" 21 May 1807 Henry BROWNRIGG & Elizabeth HOPKINS Garryhastin".  This would normally indicate that she was from Garryhasten and that his abode was either not listed or he was also from Garryhasten.

According to one source "Elizabeth HOPKINS of Garryhasten (1781-1822) married Jacob BROWNRIGG (1739-1809); as second husband she married his cousin Henry BROWNRIGG of
Graiguemore (1782-1849).

However, if the second marriage took place in 1807, the first husband Jacob must have died before 1807, not in 1809 and buried at Kilrush (age 30 or 70???)according to Cantwell.

Can anyone explain my error?

I am also looking for the parents of Elizabeth Hopkins

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Brownrigg, Elizabeth (Hopkins) of Co.Wicklow
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 07 July 22 06:53 BST (UK) »

However, if the second marriage took place in 1807, the first husband Jacob must have died before 1807, not in 1809 and buried at Kilrush (age 30 or 70???)according to Cantwell.

I am also looking for the parents of Elizabeth Hopkins

What does 'according to Cantwell mean'? 

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 08 July 22 07:05 BST (UK) »

What does 'according to Cantwell mean'?

The late Brian Cantwell went through all the known old graveyards of Wicklow and Wexford in the 1980s, and transcribed all the visible/readable memorial inscriptions pre-dating 1880 (which he found/noticed - he was not 100% inclusive)
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 08 July 22 07:07 BST (UK) »

Why do you say it is your error?

Two possibilities:

- You are using secondary sources. One of them is in error.

- Date on memorial inscription is incorrect. I know of several instances in my family tree. Multiple causes - inscriptions made much later and correct date misremembered, mason's error, etc.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline annmikemcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 08 July 22 13:45 BST (UK) »
Re Birth of James Beggs 1752.

Peggy,

Have just come across your posts on roots chat from 2014 concerning as you put it "my Thomas Beggs" who married Margaret Boyd. We are researching my fathers side the McDonalds from Cornamucklagh, County Louth and have not long started on my mothers side the Henrys from the Castleblaney, Armagh area.
If we are correct my great great grandfather William Henry from Castleblaney married Mary Ann Beggs second daughter of the late William Beggs of Armagh in Castlecaulfield church in 1832.
The witnesses being Dr. Henry King her brother in law and we think your Thomas Beggs who at the time was in business with William Henry in Dundalk importing timber from Canada/America and was possibly her cousin.
Would love to hear from you or anybody else with any information that would confirm that William Henry and Mary Ann Beggs were my great great grandparents.