Author Topic: BOYLE of Dundalk  (Read 11889 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
BOYLE of Dundalk
« on: Friday 09 December 05 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I know - not a rare name in these parts.  ::)

Further to my original request:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,86186.0.html

I am seeking the births of Francis Gerald Boyle, c 1914 and his brother Joseph A BOYLE (younger?), or the marriage of their parents, Joseph BOYLE (a clerk) and possibly Marion.

Would be deeply grateful for any leads  :D

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: BOYLE of Dundalk
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 December 05 05:02 GMT (UK) »
Arranroots:
Here is a wonderful site for County Louth with lots of Dundalk info.
 http://www.jbhall.freeservers.com/index.htm

There are plenty of Boyles but not your Joseph in the timeperiod.

Good Luck,

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 December 05 07:26 GMT (UK) »
Arranroots,

I am impressed. Your message, containing the address of your original request,  shows a high degree of courteousness and intelligence. Some RootsChat posters messages are here, there and everywhere making the process of assisting them feel like a combination of find the needle in the haystack combined with hide and seek. If there were Ten Commandments for RootsChatters Thou must show addresses of your other threads relevant to this thread should be one.   

You are worthy of the title RootsChat Marquessate.
I wish some of the other members would use more gumption and nous.

Good Wishes Christopher

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 December 05 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Pat

Thanks for the site - it would be just what I need, if only Joseph had been there!  Interesting background reading, none the less.  :)

Christopher

You are making me blush!!   :-[ ;D  I know only too well how hard it is to pursue other folks rellies with insufficient information - especially when they appear to withhold it as a kind of "test of authenticity".

Hard facts: I know very little about any of the Irish lines I am researching - they are all in-laws (out-laws??) and uncharacteristically taciturn about their Irish history once they got to Wales.  I would really like to find out something about them & am not ready to give up yet!

kind regards, Arranroots

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 December 05 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Arranroots,

I will make an educated guess.
Your Boyle ancestors were members of the Roman Catholic faith.
Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Christopher

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 December 05 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes Christopher, they were RC and retained the practice when Francis moved to Wales.

I don't know whether this makes it easier or harder to trace them?

I have remembered that there was another brother, James, but he lived most of his life in London.

The problem here is that all the records I am after are too recent, I think.

I just hope Santa is listening!  :D

thanks for your interest,

Arranroots  ;)

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 December 05 07:19 GMT (UK) »
Hei Arranroots,

I met a person yesterday afternoon with the surname Boyle. She was travelling home to Newry on the Enterprise train from Dublin. She gave me her sister's email address. I have posted a message asking if Boyles of Dundalk might be related.

Best Wishes, Chris

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 December 05 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Good on you, Christopher!

It is not what you know - it is who you know!!  ;D

I will keep my sister-in-law on stand-by to answer any questions!!

Failing that, is there any point in writing to the priest(s) currently in charge in Dundalk?  Am I right in thinking that parish records are still kept in the parishes in Ireland?  Or does it vary from place to place?

Lew me know if I can help you with anything in return, please.

Arranroots  ;)

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 December 05 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hei Arranroots,

Do you have a LDS Family History Centre Near you?
It looks as though they may have useful information for you.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~fianna/county/louth/lourc.html

I appear to be wrong with that idea but hold on to that address if you wish to go further back and look for more ancestors. In the meantime write to the Parish Priest in Dundalk and do not forget to send a donation for the parish.

All the Best, Christopher