Author Topic: My Norwich area names  (Read 16902 times)

Offline SueF

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Camel Estuary
    • View Profile
Re: My Norwich area names
« Reply #27 on: Monday 02 January 06 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Ok Rosemary....

I'm hanging on...lol ;D

Sue
Faull - Cornwall & USA
Fryer, Parnell, Fish, Moore, Fulcher - Norfolk
Davis - Wiltshire
Pannell - Sussex, Hampshire & Surrey
Johnson - Surrey & Sussex
Terry - Sussex
Colwell - Sussex
Zebedee - Wiltshire
Sloper - Wiltshire
Lyne - Hampshire, Ibsley
Salmon - Cambridgeshire & Hampshire
Munro - Southampton & Scotland
Gilbert - Wiltshire
Sherriff - Scotland & Hampshire

Offline SueF

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Camel Estuary
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 02 January 06 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Rosemary,

Just found the other threads of Gordon's...seems that everyone else has already found what I've been looking for...lol...

Sue
Faull - Cornwall & USA
Davis - Wiltshire
Terry - Sussex
Colwell - Sussex
Zebedee - Wiltshire
Sloper - Wiltshire
Lyne - Hampshire, Ibsley
Gilbert - Wiltshire

Offline Rosemary*

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 02 January 06 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gordon,

The only William Henry Moore that I can find is William Henry Moore born 1840 Church of England - New South Wales. Father - William Moore. Mother - Harriet.
There is also a William Moore born N.S.W. 1845 - but no parents names. It does look like that William was military (not a convict) - so there must be records him.
The Emigrants page - section Australia - there they will be able to inform you - where to check for information.

Regards  Rosemary
Osmond - Somerset/Dorset. Wheeler - Berkshire/Hampshire. Benham - Berkshire. Barker - Norfolk. Metcalf - Norfolk. Cordwell - Norfolk. Prentice - Suffolk. Farrow - Suffolk.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright ( see - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk )

Offline fred59

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 03 January 06 11:06 GMT (UK) »
For Sue F and Rosemary.
After you told me about the youngest two children not being Williams and maybe his wife dieing in Australia, i then had a thought about a old email i got over a year ago which was then not important, guess what i found it up...

Elizabeth Hannah Bap 23rd Dec 1841, Hobart, Father William Mitchel Moore, Mother Hannah (no surname given)

Sophia Mary  Born 22nd Feb, Hobart,  Father William Mitchel Moore, Mother Hannah Garrett

No sign of the said William Henry ( but when asked for details a year ago we thought his mother was Elizabeth from Horsford) so maybe his mother was Hannah Garrett.
these names and dates were also found on 'Births GRO Regimental Birth Indices' 1837 online.com.
I have recieved a reply from the other board you told me about and a person informed me exactly what is above and that William Mitchel Moore was born in 1844, the link they sent is searchable so i shall be giving it a look just to double check. i will keep you imformed.

Gordon
Holmes, Meachen, Moore, Barber, Stowers, Jex, Papps, Sutton, Wiseman, all Norwich & Norfolk

Offline fred59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 03 January 06 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Found out a lot on that Tasmania website.have i struck gold

Hannah Garrett   Marraige/Relationship 1844, Hobart Tas, to William Mitchel Moore

Children
Moore   Elizabeth Hannah  b.1841 Hobart Tas
Moore   Sophia Mary  b. 1848   Hobart Tas
Moore   William Mitchel  b 1844  Hobart Tas
All the dates tie in wth the GRO records but William Jnr is not mentioned.
Hobart i think was the main town for that area,
I wonder if  William Mitchel Jnr changed his middle name to Henry later because on the 1861 census William senior has still got M in the middle.
So i ask myself did Hannah die, i don,t think they were married as only maiden name given, as you said in your post they come home and got togather with Elizabeth from(Horsord)
I did spot another person asking about a William Mitchel Moore on here today,he was in the 96 Battalion  and born in about 1809 which makes him i think the same person we are checking out so i have been in touch to see what he knows.
                   Best regards Gordon
Holmes, Meachen, Moore, Barber, Stowers, Jex, Papps, Sutton, Wiseman, all Norwich & Norfolk

Offline SueF

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Camel Estuary
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 03 January 06 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Gordon,
Glad you are now getting somewhere with your William. Please let us know how you get on...

Good luck..
Sue
Faull - Cornwall & USA
Davis - Wiltshire
Terry - Sussex
Colwell - Sussex
Zebedee - Wiltshire
Sloper - Wiltshire
Lyne - Hampshire, Ibsley
Gilbert - Wiltshire

Offline Rosemary*

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 03 January 06 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gordon
 - looks like you are now gathering quite a lot of information - to sort out !.  Here's another thought - William was a Chelsea Pensioner, thats another way to trace him. The Nation Archives on line has extensive data on pension records - you should find more info on him - Was he injured before he went to Australia or while he was there? What injury did he have?. etc. etc.
National Archives on line.  pension records.  Admission books for pensions payable in the colonies 1817-1875.

Regards  Rosemary

Osmond - Somerset/Dorset. Wheeler - Berkshire/Hampshire. Benham - Berkshire. Barker - Norfolk. Metcalf - Norfolk. Cordwell - Norfolk. Prentice - Suffolk. Farrow - Suffolk.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright ( see - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk )

Offline fred59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosemary and Sue F
Everything has now fell into place, My William Henry Moore Born in Tas was the son as guessed, For some reason he changed his middle name to Henry maybe because Mitchell was his fathers middle name too, i also found out that he had 2 more brothers who were in Military service one ended up a chelsea Pensioner like his father. William Henry was also on  his fathers  Last Will & Testament (William Mitchell) he left him his silver watch, and the rest to Elizabeth (from Horstead) His first wife Hannah (Garrett) did return to the UK with him and  died in 1858 and buried in Norwich City Cem, along with all her children and later with William Mitchell Moore, There is no record of a burial of William Henry but other son Henry John is buried elsewhere within the cemetery we think. I think you were right regarding a 2nd marriage to Elizabeth (Horstead) and taking on her Children.
All the above should be credit to 
 andyb    ( if you read this you know who you are)
          Thanks very much for your help now i can start again
                  Gordon

Offline SueF

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Camel Estuary
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Gordon,

So glad you've managed to sort out all the information....its great when the pieces all fit together!

Had a rather a good day today myself too! .. with the other side of my family from Wiltshire that I was having trouble with! So know how you feel!!

Regards,
Sue
Faull - Cornwall & USA
Davis - Wiltshire
Terry - Sussex
Colwell - Sussex
Zebedee - Wiltshire
Sloper - Wiltshire
Lyne - Hampshire, Ibsley