Author Topic: World War 1 internments in UK - bibliography  (Read 57797 times)

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: World War 1 internments in UK - bibliography
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 16 February 20 23:26 GMT (UK) »
A growing number of documents relating to the two IoM Camps - Douglas and Knockaloe can be found on my website www.manxnotebook.com/history/intrn_ww1/index.htm including a full translation of Die Männerinsel (Island of Men) - fascinating read.

I've also been trawling thru the ICRC records as well as the FO 383 files at Kew + other records held at Manx Museum to put together as complete a list of those interned at Knockaloe together with camp number (which gives arrival date and usually the camp, compound and hut they were in - catch is I estimate around 30,000 names which is somewhat too large for my site - so far I have some 12000 names with camp number and probably some 1500 names but without camp numbers as they left the camp prior to camp numbers (as opposed to PoW Information Bureau serial numbers) being included in ICRC records.
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 22 February 20 02:25 GMT (UK) »
This book is not UK per se, but could possibly include info on internees shipped off to Canada or provide wider context.  As it hasn't actually come out yet, I haven't seen it.

Civilian Internment In Canada: Histories And Legacies, by Rhonda L. Hinther and Jim Mochoruk.  424 p.   Published February 28, 2020 by the University of Manitoba Press.
ISBN - 10:0887558453
ISBN - 13:9780887558450

Exploring the connections, contrasts, and continuities across the broad range of civilian internments in Canada, this collection seeks to begin a conversation about the laws and procedures that allow the state to criminalize and deny the basic civil liberties of some of its most vulnerable citizens.

It brings together multiple perspectives on the varied internment experiences of Canadians and others from the days of World War One to the present. This volume offers a unique blend of personal memoirs of “survivors” and their descendants, alongside the work of community activists, public historians, and scholars, all of whom raise questions about how and why in Canada basic civil liberties have been (and, in some cases, continue to be) denied to certain groups in times of perceived national crises.

Rhonda L. Hinther is an Associate Professor of History at Brandon University and an active public historian. Prior to joining BU, Hinther served as Director of Research and Curation at the Canadian Museum for Human Rights and, before that, as Curator of Western Canadian History at the Canadian Museum of History. Her most recent book, a 2019 Wilson Prize Finalist, is entitled Perogies and Politics: Canada’s Ukrainian Left, 1891-1991 (2018).

Jim Mochoruk has taught at the University of North Dakota since 1993. His books include The People’s Co-op: The Life and Times of a North End Institution (2000) and “Formidable Heritage:” Manitoba’s North and the Cost of Development, 1870 to 1930 (2004). Originally from Winnipeg, Jim is currently working on a book-length study concerning the social and economic history of Winnipeg—and its many real and imagined communities—in the inter-war period.

ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 16 November 21 07:32 GMT (UK) »
I just noticed another book on similar theme to my last post.

Park prisoners : the untold story of Western Canada's national parks, 1915-1946,, by Waiser, W. A.
Saskatoon : Fifth House Publishers, c1995.  294 pages, illustrations.

I read a review which said that the book covers the lives of "enemy aliens" including Germans who were put to work at building roads, trails and campgrounds in Canada's national parks during WW1 and 2.    It was essentially forced labour, and they were made to live in the parks where they worked.  Gives details about how they got there and what they did; many aaecdotes.  i have not seen it.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein