Author Topic: World War 1 internments in UK - bibliography  (Read 57652 times)

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
World War 1 internments in UK - bibliography
« on: Sunday 11 December 05 22:07 GMT (UK) »
(I have moved my bibliography from another thread, so that it will be easier for people to find and use.)

I have been compiling bibliography related to WWI enemy alien internments in Britain, with specific reference to German aliens, although you will find things here about other nationalities as well.  They are in no particular order.

Harris, Janet.  Alexandra Palace:  a hidden history.  Tempus Publishing Ltd., 2005.  128 pages.  ISBN: 0752436368 
The hidden history is that of the internment of Germans at Ally Pally in WW1.  I own this book.  Great photos; informative.  The author's great-uncle, Carl Turk, was an internee. 

Dove, Richard, ed.  'Totally un-English'?  Britain's Internment of 'Enemy Aliens' in Two World Wars.  Amsterdam/New York:  Rodopi, 2005.  214 pp.
Series: Yearbook of the Research Centre for German & Austrian Exile Studies 7.  Scholarly.  Now available in some libraries.    (Note to Keith:  It includes one WW2 article about Italians by Sponza.)  http://www.rodopi.nl/ntalpha.asp?BookId=EXILE+7&type=new&letter=W

West, Margery.  Island at War    Laxey:Western Books (Author's own publication), 1986 (ISBN 0-9511512-0-7) Contains names of several internees at Knockaloe, and also photos of them with their names.

Sargeaunt, B. E.   The Isle of Man & the Great War    Douglas: Brown & Sons 1920.  Some extracts can be found online.  http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/famhist/genealgy/intern.htm

Cohn-Portheim, Paul.  Time Stood Still: my Internment in England.  New York: E F Dutton, 1931. or London: Duckworth.

Panayi, P.  'Anti-immigrant riots in nineteenth and twentieth-century Britain', in Panayi, Panikos (ed.), Racial violence in Britain, 1840-1950. p.1-25, (Leicester, 1993).

Kershaw, Roger, and Mark Pearsall.  Immigrants and Aliens: A Guide to Sources on UK Immigration & Citizenship. National Archives 2004.

Bird, J.C. Control of Enemy Alien Civilians in Great Britain 1914-1918.  London: Garland Publishing, 1986

David Cesarini and Tony Kushner, eds., The Internment of Aliens in 20th C Britain.  ISBN 0 7146 3466 2    London: Cass, 1993.
[This group of studies first appeared in a special issue on 'The internment of aliens in twentieth century Britain' of Immigrants and Minorities 11:3]

Panayi, Panikos, The enemy in our midst. 1991.  This one is academic, but very good.

Ellis, Mark; and Panikos Panayi. "German Minorities in World War I: A Comparative Study of Britain and the USA." Ethnic and Racial Studies 17, no. 2 (1994): 238-59.

Bernard, Roy.  My German Family in England.  Anglo German Family History Society 1991.  ISBN 0 9514133 5 X

Dunbar-Kalckreuth, Frederick Lewis.  Die Männerinsel   Paul Lift Verlag: Leipzig 1940 - has description of Isle of Man internment camp life 1916-1917.   Unfortunately, only in German.

An Insight into Civilian Internment in Britain during WWI.  From the Diary of Richard Noschke and a short essay by Rudolf Rocke.  published by the Anglo-German FAmily History Society.  Contains a lot of info and photos re: Alexandra Palace.  Make sure you get the 1998 version, which has the photos.

Panayi, Panikos.  “The Destruction of the German Communities in Britain during the First World War”, in: Germans in Britain since 1500.  London Hambledon Press 1996.  ISBN 1 85285 126 0

Cresswell, Yvonne M., ed.  Living with the Wire: Civilian Internment in the Isle of Man during the two World Wars.  Pub: Manx National Heritage (1994).   ISBN 0-901106-35-6

Internment of Enemy Aliens in Great Britain, within the Empire and at Sea during 1914.  by Len Barnett, privately published, 2004

Panayi, P.  Immigration, ethnicity and racism in Britain, 1815-1945 (Manchester, 1994).  170p.

Steve Humphries and Richard van Emden  All quiet on the home front : an oral history of life in Britain during the First World War.  London : Headline, 2003.  334 p.,  ISBN:  0755311884.  Chapter 3, "The Enemy Within", deals with how the lives of "aliens" were affected...

St. Stephen's House: Friends’ Emergency Work in England, 1914 TO 1920. Compiled by Anna Braithwaite Thomas et al.  Published by the Emergency Committee for the Assistance of Germans, Austrians and Hungarians in Distress (registered by the London County Council under the War Charities Act, 1916).  I have a copy of this one;  it has a few photos, many stories but few names.

Mitteilungsblatt, the journal of the Anglo-German Family History Society.  There have been quite a few relevant articles in this journal over the last few years.  Some are listed below.

Tom Wood, "The internment of enemy civilians in wartime Britain", Family Tree Magazine (UK), v.15, 1998, Nov., p. 51-52.  I have a copy of this.

Additional bibliography (and some overlap) can be found here:  http://www.gov.im/mnh/heritage/library/bibliographies/internment.xml

Continued below.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: World War 1 internments in UK - bibliography
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 April 06 04:56 BST (UK) »
INTERNET SOURCES:

Lists of people who died in the internment camps on the Isle of Man during WW1:  http://www.lawsons.ca/burials/intern.html ,
http://www.iomguide.com/internment-camps/knockaloe.php
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,125654.0.html

Other sites of interest:
Knockaloe:  http://www.iomguide.com/right-photos.php?2162
Internees: http://www.movinghere.org.uk/galleries/roots/intro/migration/parliament5.htm#
www.imagesofengland.org.uk has a photo and description of the camp at Lancaster - IoE number: 383096.  It was formerly the Lancaster Carriage and Waggon Works Company.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/podcasts/internment.htm - many interesting photos and helpful podcast that you can listen to.
http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Interned_Aliens_and_Prisoners_of_War#top  - story of Elizabeth Schonewald.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documents/ifa_d13civilianinternees1914_1922.pdf "Civilian internees, 1914-1922."  TNA will search all records for you for £90 (as of 2011) - see bottom of this pdf.
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
HALLS - Chigwell
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
WW1 internees

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 April 06 18:58 BST (UK) »
ARCHIVAL SOURCES - INTERNMENTS

Haringey Museum and Archives at Bruce Castle, especially for Alexandra Palace camp.

Library of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).  This must be in London?

University of Birmingham, Cadbury Research Library.  YMCA/ACC40 - "YMCA Unofficial Papers: Publications of the German YMCA in London."  Many people involved with this organization were interned.  This archive consists of two publications by Bernd Hildebrandt, one being the book It CAN Be! (see entry below; hard to find in libraries), the other a very short history celebrating 125 years, published in 1985 (superseded by It CAN Be! in 2010, and no longer available generally). 
See:  http://calmview.bham.ac.uk/TreeBrowse.aspx?db=Catalog&field=RefNo&key=XYMCAACC40

Southern Illinois University Special Collections Research Center:
Stobs camp:  "Friedrich Strune papers, 1917-1918".

Reference: GB 738 MS 217
Title: Small Jewish Collections
Dates of Creation: 1744-1990s
Held at: University of Southampton Libraries Special Collections
Extent: 6 boxes  (the entire collection, not just the part about internments.)
Includes photographs of Jewish servicemen and others at Knockaloe Camp, 1915.  I have not seen it yet.

"Important police notice - the undermentioned prisoners of war escaped from the internment camp at Sutton Bonington in this county during last night... "  Nottingham: 1917.     by W. Harrop, Superintendent and Deputy Chief Constable, County Police Office.   Gives list of thirteen escapees with description, but I have not seen it yet.  This document is to be found in the Imperial War Museum.  ID Number:[0] K 61815

International Committee of the Red Cross archives in Geneva:
The work done by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in WW1 is covered in the "Bulletin" of the International Committee of the Red Cross in a special series of reports of the visits carried out by delegates to the camps under the heading 'Documents publiés à l'occasion de la Guerre de 1914-1918'.  The following files are said by Caroline Moorehead to contain relevant papers:  Box 24 III/419, VI, VIi/419, X/419 and XX;  Box 25 XV and XIX;  Box 39 XI/5;  Box 43 II/17; Box 47 VI/1 and VI/8; FAW 36, 37 and 10.  This would not likely be a strong source for finding out information about individuals, although there may be references to comments made to or by the ICRC observers.  These references are NOT the files which would have the records of individuals internees, as those must be separately requested.  These archival references will tell you about the visits made by ICRC representatives, presumably naming the camps, and saying what the conditions were etc.

BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
HALLS - Chigwell
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
WW1 internees

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 May 06 23:40 BST (UK) »
Continuing the bibliography... (too large for single post.)

Schimming, Otto.   13 Monate hinter dem Stacheldraht: Alexandra Palace, Knockaloe ... Stratford, etc. (13 Months behind Barbed Wire:  Alexandra Palace, Knockaloe... Stratford, etc.)  pp. 32. Stuttgart, 1919. ('Stacheldraht' = 'barbed wire')

Quin, Malcolm.  Friends and Enemies.  n.d.  This one reflects the experience of the Friends (Quakers) Emergency Committee which tried to help out the aliens during WW2.  I don't yet know whether it ever got past the manuscript stage and into publication, but it did exist.  I have not been able to find it anywhere.  Is referenced on p.10 of St. Stephen's HouseIf anyone ever finds this, please please send me a PM.  Thanks.

Graves, Robert. Goodbye to All That.  Graves was the officer in charge of the camp at Lancaster.  See chapter 10, where he verifies that children were interned.

"Tracing Mariner and Alien Ancestors," by John Illingworth, Midland Ancestor (BMSHG) vol.10 no.12 (June 1995) pp 464-466

Prisoners of War Information Bureau.  List of Places of Internment.  apparently this is or was available from the Imperial War Museum in London.  It may be a government document, but I am not sure.  "Prisoners of War Information Bureau" may be the author rather than part of the title, but I am not sure.  I have not seen it.

Walling, John.  The Internment and Treatment of German Nationals during the 1st World War  Great Grimsby: Riparian Publishing, 2005.   ISBN 0-952-38482-5   Lofthouse and Knockaloe are profiled, along with experiences of individuals.

Walling, John.  Coming Home.  Riparian Publishing, 2008.    ISBN: 9780952384830   Fiction.  222p.  Supposed to be well-researched historical novel based on family coming from Germany to London 1870, followed later by WW1 internment.

Walling, John, 1928-. 'Held; prisoner at Lofthouse Camp'. Mitteilungsblatt, journal of the Anglo-German Family History Society, 50 (1999), 31-33.  ISSN 09543457.

Walling, John, 1928. 'Lofthouse Park Camp Wakefield' [Internment camp First World War]. Mitteilungsblatt , journal of the Anglo-German Family History Society, 45 (1998), 36-37.  ISSN 09543457.

Cesarani, David. 'Camps de la mort, camps de concentration et camps d'internement dans la mémoire collective britannique' [Death camps, concentration camps and internment camps in British collective memory]. Vingtième Siècle, 54 (1997), 13-23. Publisher: Presses de la Fondation nationale des sciences politiques. ISSN 02941759.

Gullace, Nicoletta F. 'Friends, Aliens, and Enemies : Fictive Communities and the Lusitania Riots of 1915'. Journal of Social History, 39:2 (2005), 345-67. ISSN 00224529. ISSN (electronic) 15271897.

Willis, L. Carl. 'Internment in England as remembered by the families of three Lutz brothers'. Mitteilungsblatt, journal of the Anglo-German Family History Society, 67 (2Tracing Mariner and Alien Ancestors, by John Illingworth, Midland Ancestor (BMSHG) vol.10 no.12 (June 1995) pp 464-466 004), 35-39.   ISSN 09543457.

Germans in London, compiled by Howard Bloch and Graham Hill. ISBN 0-9538370-0-9. £12.50 + 90p p&p from All Points East, c/o 69 Frinton Road, London, E6 3HE 020 8472 6530 howardbloch --at-- hotmail.com -
Apparently discusses a jute factory in Woolwich which was turned into an internment camp - must be the Stratford camp?

It CAN be!: 150 years German YMCA in London 1860-2010.  by Bernd W Hildebrandt, German Young Men's Christian Association. (London, England).  London: German YMCA in London, 2010.  448p. £14.99  ISBN: 978-0-9566779-0-7.  See http://www.german-ymca.org.uk/about-us-history.html and http://www.german-ymca.org.uk/german-ymca-book-sample-pages.pdf for details.  There are some names on the pdf, where there is a book index, pp419ff.  Members were interned WW1&2.

Craftsman and Quaker: the story of James T. Baily, 1876-1957.  Leslie Baily.   Allen & Unwin, 1959.  BAILY was a Quaker who visited the WW1 internment camps in Britain.

Dunant's dream: war, Switzerland and the history of the Red Cross.  by Moorehead, Caroline.  London: HarperCollins, 1998.  This book covers much more than WW1, but it is a fascinating view of war.  The references to internees in Britain can be found on pages 196-7 and 253.  She states that there was a camp at Queensferry, 6 miles from Chester, in an old factory, which housed 2000 German internees of military age, apparently civilians.

BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
HALLS - Chigwell
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
WW1 internees

Offline sheronb

• RootsChat Senior
  • nan 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 14:02 BST (UK) »
Loo, do you know of an interment camp called holywell? Sorry have no ideal where it was.
Larden/Cecil-Birmingham/lichfield/halesowen<br />Lombardozzi-Sora-Italy<br />Tuzi/Tuzio/Tuzzio- Sora-Italy/birmingham,
La Rocca/Tersigni/Lancia-Sora-Italy
Farrell/Battle-Ireland/Birmingham
Polsinelli/Gismondi-Sora-Italy<br />Heffer/Turner-Bristol-Frampton cotterell<br />Dean/skinner-Huntley,gloucs<br />Hinkley-Aston-Juxta-Birmingham<br /><br />Mchale/Oldbury/Ireland<br />Hinton/Smith/Carter/Hercules-Worcestershire.

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 19:53 BST (UK) »
Not yet!  But that doesn't mean it didn't exist.

There was one at Holloway prison in WW2 though;  it was used for women aliens.  Does that ring a bell?  Perhaps it was used in WW1 as well;  I don't know.

I will keep an eye out for your holywell, and will post if I find a reference to it.
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
HALLS - Chigwell
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
WW1 internees

Offline sheronb

• RootsChat Senior
  • nan 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Loo, it was Holywell, and it was my Italian great grandfather, on form it says he was transferred there? for abt a week in 1916, then came back to birmingham, it was the word "transferred" that got me wondering!! Many thanks for looking!!
Larden/Cecil-Birmingham/lichfield/halesowen<br />Lombardozzi-Sora-Italy<br />Tuzi/Tuzio/Tuzzio- Sora-Italy/birmingham,
La Rocca/Tersigni/Lancia-Sora-Italy
Farrell/Battle-Ireland/Birmingham
Polsinelli/Gismondi-Sora-Italy<br />Heffer/Turner-Bristol-Frampton cotterell<br />Dean/skinner-Huntley,gloucs<br />Hinkley-Aston-Juxta-Birmingham<br /><br />Mchale/Oldbury/Ireland<br />Hinton/Smith/Carter/Hercules-Worcestershire.

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 22:08 BST (UK) »
I have not read everything in this biliography yet, so feel free to do your own hunting as well!

If you are in Britain, and are having trouble finding a library which has these items, I suggest you try  http://www.copac.ac.uk

If you are in Canada, and are having trouble finding a library which has these items, I suggest you try http://www.collectionscanada.ca/search/006001-100.01-e.php

In all parts of the world, it is worth searching www.worldcat.org for a library copy.

These books can often be purchased in used condition very reasonably through www.abebooks.com .  I recently bought Janet Harris' book, listed at £12.99 on back cover, for £8.30 including shipping to Canada  - in new condition.

BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
HALLS - Chigwell
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
WW1 internees

Offline cath310859

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 January 08 15:29 GMT (UK) »
hi i'm looking for an interment camp that would have been in the north east near redcar in WW1,my great grandad lived in redcar and the story i have been told is he was held in a camp locally during the first war as he was german can you help
bullock,temke,turner,haddlington,richards,rollinson,batey,cameron