Author Topic: Looking for an Esther Porter and James Liddell  (Read 5866 times)

Offline MeganWilber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking for an Esther Porter and James Liddell
« on: Wednesday 08 September 04 21:32 BST (UK) »
Thought I'd try a hand and see if anyone could help out here.  Most of my roots from England/Scotland/Wales are from pretty far back, the 1600-1700's, but it is hard being so far away to get solid facts of any kind, and I am sure that solid facts from those times were not very many.

Anyway I am trying to find more out about an Esther Porter born Bet 1718 and 1725 in Scotland, she came to the USA and died somewhere in South Carolina, most people seem to say around Abbeville.  She married a James Liddell (varient spellings: Leddell, Liddel, Liddle, etc)

James is said to be born around 1712 probably also in Scotland, he also died in South Carolina, possibly Abbeville. 

They are said to have been married in Abbeville South Carolina and had 9 children. 

But I am curious more about their dates of birth and possible parents on them.  How could I go about looking this up?  Any ideas?  Thanks!

Megan
Benbow, Davis, Dickerson, Fischer, Heft, Huey, Liddell/Liddle, Majiski, Moehnke, Molnowski, Pardue, Rauch, West, Wilber.

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for an Esther Porter and James Liddell
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 September 04 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hiya Megan,

Hmm y'have a toughie there.

Without any idea where in Scotland they came from it's hard to know whether OPR records would help.  There is a big variation on the coverage of years between different parishes.

This link gives you an overview...
http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/grosweb/grosweb.nsf/pages/opr

And this one is a list of all the parishes...
http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/grosweb/grosweb.nsf/pages/files/$file/old_opr.pdf
takes a while to open - a BIG file

You may get very lucky if they are from a parish with good records.  In my experience the earlier 1700s are better than the later 1700s (if they exist) as there was less shenanigans regarding tax and dissenting.

The other route is through probate or sasines - not an avenue I've travelled yet for old records the NAS website may help you there? http://www.nas.gov.uk/

Anyone got any other ideas?

Puzzling,
Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for an Esther Porter and James Liddell
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Megan I have done a lot of research in scotland (on the net) in the past and have had masses of information. I also have a liddell on my tree but only because my G.Grandmothers sister ( a Mc Cloy) Married one and he came from Glasgow. It's getting late now but i will get back to you later with any information  i have or find.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885