Author Topic: 1871 Mill Roller Trevethin - Help Please  (Read 10886 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Mill Roller Trevethin - Help Please
« Reply #18 on: Friday 23 November 18 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Welshnewspaers online

Death Notice, Monmouthshire Merlin, 8 june, 1867

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3402818/3402823/42/

Offline Ricardian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 23 November 18 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doublecourt

Thank you for replying. Have you seen the reply from Hanes Teulu about my gt gt grandfathers death in 1867. I wonder if Pontnewynydd Forge  and Pontnewynydd Ironworks are the same place?

It is funny that your family went on to inn keeping as that is what my gt grandfather Thomas did after being employed at Pontnewynydd then he went on to build furnaces at ironworks eventually ending up in Maesteg where he met my gt grandmother. Edward was his father. Then in later years they had several public houses in Maesteg. When Edward Gower died in 1867 he was living at the Royal Dock hotel in Briton Ferry with two of his sons Silas and John who owned it. His oldest son Edward, who is mentioned in the newspaper article, went out to India to work in /build ironworks there as did his brother James.

Edward Senior started working in Trevethin as a labourer so must have worked his way up to Forge manager. 

You never know because of the dates that both families were working there they may have known one another.
Mary
Rickards, Gower, Eynon, Davies, Jones/John, Williams, Phillips,Hillier,Hawker,Maddocks.

Offline Doublecourt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 23 November 18 15:26 GMT (UK) »
I think they probably are the same ironworks..
They may have known each other I guess... 

My maiden name is Hillier by the way.. they are all from Wiltshire.

Offline Ricardian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 23 November 18 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Hanes Teulu for your reply. That certainly confirms what I found on various census regarding Edward being a Forge manager in Pontnewynydd I didn't realise that it was many years and if I remember correctly he became the Forge manager at Tondu in around 1854 but of course I maybe wrong. Also having been in touch with a cousin who lives in America (descended from my gt aunt Kate one of Thomas' daughters) she has sent me a photograph of a painting that is in her family of grandpa Gower. Originally she thought it was Thomas but looking at it looks too old to be Thomas so we now think it is Edward. He is very smartly dressed in a top hat.
Mary
Rickards, Gower, Eynon, Davies, Jones/John, Williams, Phillips,Hillier,Hawker,Maddocks.

Offline Ricardian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 23 November 18 15:35 GMT (UK) »
That is quite a coincidence too Doublecourt because my Hilliers were from Wiltshire too. They were clothiers and dyers.

Mary

Offline Ricardian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 23 November 18 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Doublecourt I didn't answer your question about pictures of Pontnewynydd. No I am sorry I haven't. I will check online and see if I can come up with anything.

Mary

Offline Doublecourt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 23 November 18 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Don't worry too much.. it was just on the off chance.. thanks Mary.