Author Topic: 1871 Mill Roller Trevethin - Help Please  (Read 10890 times)

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Mill Roller Trevethin - Help Please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 May 06 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary and Phoebe

Have managed to get some old photographs of the area and a map,

Sad news is that number 18 is not the right house Phoebe.The houses were built after the originals ones were pulled down.It was a poorer area and freehold and each house was numbered as built so number 1 could have been at one end of the road and number 18 next to it .

will keep looking

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ricardian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 May 06 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

I looked for Nightingales on an old map on oldmaps.co.uk. It looks as if it was a long rd which appears to skirt around Pontnewynydd Forge. It appeared to be east of Cwm Ffrwdd Oer and north west of Tranch colliery. Ebenezer Chapel was quite near and to the north. There was a rd called Llanover Row and what appeared to be Forge Hammer Row. That was quite fuzzy on the map so I am not sure if that was the name. It occurred to me that could have been where they were living in 1841 and maybe it was just down as Forge. I then compared it with a modern day map and most of the places you had mentioned were on it though there was no very long rd skirting around where I thought the forge had been.

If I ever get a chance to come to Pontnewynydd I will let you know. I would love to see where they lived.

Regards

Mary
Rickards, Gower, Eynon, Davies, Jones/John, Williams, Phillips,Hillier,Hawker,Maddocks.

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 May 06 13:15 BST (UK) »
Mary

What a wonderful site for old maps..........Will P.M you

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 June 06 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
found two books 

Tales of the Ironworks at Abersycan,Pentwyn,Golynos and Varteg

Life in the Eastern Valley Iron Towns and Villages

both books by Brain Foster

Both books would be well worth getting and some lovely information and stories

Pontnewynydd Forge and rolling mill was opened on 14th May 1839 part of the Pentwyn and Golynos Iron and Coal Compay.
A slump in the iron trade  production ground to a halt in 1852 with thousands out of work......................those poor people how they managed does not bear thinking of...........18 months later it reopened.

One of three old forges the  Osborne or little forge was famous for its "Osborne" Iron and was in the 16th century standing near the Afon Llwyd river just below Pontnewynydd bridge.
(this area could be behind the modern Osborne Road)

Hope can help you both

Steve

Offline the lady 01

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 December 06 15:27 GMT (UK) »
hi stevenson

i am writing this reply as my greatgrand father lived in 25 torfean terrace freeholdland & died there but i do know the house is still standing

i know it isnt much help but something lol
diane 
evans pontypool
davies pontypool
cox pontypool
gullis pontypool / wiltshire
powell glostershire

Offline djunna

• RootsChat Member
  • Genealogy: Tracing yourself back to better people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 November 09 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I found out that my Gt Grandfather died in this house in 1974. he and his family the Prices owned a lot of houses in this road. my parents still live there to this day.

Thanks Darren
Bickford - Bilston
Collard - Tredegar Monmouthshire
Eldridge - Pontypool/Baglan
Falvey - Pontypool/ Ireland
Hayes - Cork Ireland
Jones - Pontypool/Llangarren
Lundrigan -Pontypool/ Ireland
Price - Abersychan

Offline Doublecourt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 22 November 18 21:20 GMT (UK) »
My ancestors were the Forge Agents, or managers of the forge at Pontnewynydd in the 1840/s til 1851. their names were James Aston and Joseph, his son. James started life as a roller in Merthyr Tydfil, following on from his father, Samuel, who came from Broseley Shopshire in the mid 1780s, as skilled labour for the ironworks.

Offline Ricardian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 22 November 18 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doublecourt

I just wondered how you knew about your ancestors being Forge Agents Managers, was it known in the family or did you find out through some sort of an archive? The reason that I am asking is that I think my gt gt grandfather Edward Gower was Forge Agent and or Manager in Pontnewynydd. I must look up some of the records I have got. If I remember correctly around 1854 he became the Forge Manager at Tondu Ironworks in Glamorgan and they moved from Trevethin. So is it possible that he could have been the  manager after your James and Joseph?
Mary
Rickards, Gower, Eynon, Davies, Jones/John, Williams, Phillips,Hillier,Hawker,Maddocks.

Offline Doublecourt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 23 November 18 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello... I found it out from Census Returns and one of them has it on his gravestone I think, plus on conveyancing papers and a Will.  James was 'Forge Agent', I think a term for manager and whilst doing that he bought the Railway Inn plus 4 cottages next door to the Inn. He died in 1851. His son Joseph took over and was also an Inn keeper at the Inn with his family. Joseph has also been described as a 'rail inspector' but that appears on his children's marriage details, but he died when they were very young, so unsure if they just made it up. He died in 1864..not sure how long he was at the forge for.
Have you any pictures of the forge? I can't find anything online.