Author Topic: Obituary Notices for Soldiers killed in France WW1  (Read 10727 times)

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Obituary Notices for Soldiers killed in France WW1
« on: Thursday 09 September 04 11:00 BST (UK) »
Can anybody put me on the right track to see where I can find my Gt Gt Uncles Obituary Notice? He was killed at the Somme in France 17th Nov 1916

Thanks
Shanko

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Obituary Notices for Soldiers killed in France WW1
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 September 04 15:30 BST (UK) »
A few thoughts from personal experience. If your ancestor was an officer, an obituary notice is much more likely to be found. Do you know his regiment, battalion, company even? If so, you should be able to follow history links to find out what a particular unit was doing on any given day. The regimental record tends to say something about officers getting killed, but just lists (say) 15 other ranks as being killed on a particular day.

The best place to find an actual obituary (if there is one) is often the local paper for the place where your ancestor joined up. I'm not sure how this pans out across the country, but some WWI casualties had a decent paragraph in our local press (Newmarket).

There may well be useful pieces of information you can collect, but the sad thing is, if your ancestor was a private soldier, the information will not be gathered together in one place and you will have to do some hard searching. Good luck.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline Grandad james

• Rest in Peace Jim Ellis
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • FamilyHistory addict. My problems are all relative
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 September 04 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Shanko, :)
Do you have any further information... ??? and are we right to assume that you have his CWGC Info. and Medal Card details. ???

Regards Grandad james.
BOORER/BORER/BORRER/BOARER,Origins in
Surrey,Sussex,Kent and London.
BOORER/BORER? Registered One Name Study -WORLDWIDE.
ELLIS Richmond Surrey. Fletching Sussex
FREEMAN Chertsey , Isleworth Middx and Richmond Surrey.

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 September 04 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Grandad James :)

Yes I have his number and regiment and the reason I need to find the Obituary notice is because the Commission actually tried contacting his next of kin at the time of his death in Somme but to no avail so he has unclaimed medals which I am told by high ranking people if I obtain his Obituary notice for proof of who he was and birth certificate etc and our details which prove our identity we will be sent the medals.
He actually was married in 1915 which is sad :(

As for the medal card details I have the PRO #'s but don't know what medals he was issued.

Regards
Shanko

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 September 04 16:10 BST (UK) »
A few thoughts from personal experience. If your ancestor was an officer, an obituary notice is much more likely to be found. Do you know his regiment, battalion, company even? If so, you should be able to follow history links to find out what a particular unit was doing on any given day. The regimental record tends to say something about officers getting killed, but just lists (say) 15 other ranks as being killed on a particular day.

The best place to find an actual obituary (if there is one) is often the local paper for the place where your ancestor joined up. I'm not sure how this pans out across the country, but some WWI casualties had a decent paragraph in our local press (Newmarket).

There may well be useful pieces of information you can collect, but the sad thing is, if your ancestor was a private soldier, the information will not be gathered together in one place and you will have to do some hard searching. Good luck.

Hi Nick,
Yes I do know his regiment etc and he joined up at Tottenham as for doing a lot of searching i can only do online searching as its a long way to go to the places back home in the UK from over here in Australia. I'd have to take many packed lunches with me
:)

Thanks for the information
Shanko

Offline Grandad james

• Rest in Peace Jim Ellis
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • FamilyHistory addict. My problems are all relative
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 September 04 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Shanko,

It is a bit of a long shot ,but I have The National Roll of the Great War 1914-18 LONDON. on CD.

The entries were given by families and it is only a selection.  But worth a look...

I know your frustration as I had the reverse ,  my wifes Grandfather was an Australian soldier from Glen Innes in WW1.
We have his whole file....  :)   
Have you considered whether it is worth your while getting a researcher to see if his papers survived the bombing in WW2.  They should give next of kin.

If you want me to look on the CD let me have his name.
regards Grandad james

Ps posted a reply re confectioners on your other topic Lollies. ;)
BOORER/BORER/BORRER/BOARER,Origins in
Surrey,Sussex,Kent and London.
BOORER/BORER? Registered One Name Study -WORLDWIDE.
ELLIS Richmond Surrey. Fletching Sussex
FREEMAN Chertsey , Isleworth Middx and Richmond Surrey.

Offline EmPers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 September 04 19:54 BST (UK) »
you may have already tried, but a lot of medal cards are available online at www.documentsonline.pro.gov.uk
WEST, PROCTOR - Fillongley, Warwickshire
CLARK(E) - Aston, Warks & Leicestershire
BETTERIDGE & THORNTON - Oxfordshire
FISHER -  Bromsgrove, Worcs,
SLAUGHTER - Evesham, Worc s & Birmingham

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 September 04 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Grandad James,

On the detah certificate of my Confectioner ancestor it has in brackets Candy maker :) but interesting to know what else Confectioner means

Shanko

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 June 05 10:32 BST (UK) »
hiya shanko,i would double check your high ranking sources info,any unclaimed medals from ww1 were sent back to the main depository at woolwich,after 10 yrs if they are not claimed they were melted down,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.