Author Topic: Todds of Limavady  (Read 30103 times)

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Todds of Toneduff and Gortnaran
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 22 April 12 04:54 BST (UK) »
I have seen people with 2 mutations of 25 been proved to be close kin through additional upgrades to more markers and I have seen people with 2 mutations out of 25 been proved to increase their genetic distance with increased markers - meaning they are not close kin.   

So I agree with the value of additional markers but disagree about how often we would expect a 3 mutation out of 25 to be close kin.

Richard

I set up the Kincaid DNA project years ago and have followed things closely since.  I agree that this is a matter of statistical probabilities and low mutation counts are expected for closer relatives.  However, while you get clustering about the mean there are bound to be anomalies.  My point is that one can't simply look at two samples being a little out and conclude that two samples don't have a common ancestor within the last couple of hundred years.  In my case the CDY and 464a-d markers proved volatile.  I would not make any definitive conclusions without 1) having at least 37 markers tested 2) looking at the paper documentation and 3) comparing the samples against all samples in the cluster for the surname - using a software like Fluxus.  DNA is a valuable genealogical tool, but it can't be used superficially.
Kincaids (Kincade, Kinkaid, Kinkead, etc.) of Counties Londonderry and Tyrone.

Gardiners of Ramelton, County Donegal.

Offline rmcmurtry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Todds of Limavady
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 22 April 12 06:00 BST (UK) »
HI,
Its a pleasure to find someone who has looked so closely at their DNA data!

IN my case, I had 43 samples in my Group 1 of my Todd families (related to Mary Todd Lincoln wife of President Abraham Lincoln) which all had the 12-14-15-16 pattern and for which I had 2 samples with 12-14-15-16-16 and 2 samples in which one of the 4 numbers differed. 

In my group 2, 31 samples - I had only two that had a single digit variation in the 464 pattern of 13-14-15-16.

I had more volatility in my CDY patterns.

Richard

Offline Todd22

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 19 June 12 17:12 BST (UK) »
My name is Ken Todd and I am doing my 'Todd' family research here in Canada. It seems that you and others have a wealth of Todd information! I have a Samuel C. Todd (and that could be a G.) that was born in approximately 1844 in Ireland. He shows up in Canada in Madoc, Ontario in the 1881 census and is married to a Mary Matilda Mountenay on August 15th 1878. His parents (assuming Ireland) names were John and Mary. Does any of this information line up with anything that you have seen? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Offline rmcmurtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 19 June 12 18:58 BST (UK) »
HI Ken,
Given that Samuel's birth is prior to Civil Registration of Births and that he was not married in Ireland, one way to narrow down his origin in Ireland is to do a DNA test.

If you send me a private jmessage with your email, I can send you the DNA study or if you google (Toddentrancefinal) and search the DNA files, you will find the online version of the Irish Todd DNA study.

Richard

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Todd & Jane Purdey
« Reply #31 on: Friday 13 July 12 04:53 BST (UK) »
HI folks,

We have found a baptismal record that shows that John Todd who married Jane Purdey was born in Tonduff, Cumber Lower, Co Londonderry.

So we have:
1.  John Todd md Isabella Mowbray
            2.  John Todd b 1833 Tonduff Cumber Lower Co Londonderry died   
                      1902 Dumbarton Scotland md 1855 Articlave Dunboe Parish   
                       to Jane Purdy 
                       3a. John Todd b 1858 d 1935 Thornliebank, Renfrewshire,
                              Scotland md 1879 Elizabeth Martin in Thornliebank
                       3b.  Hugh Todd b 1865 Articlave, Londonderry d  md
                              Catherine Hunter 1886

What is also interesting is that the DNA of a descendant of this family matches the DNA of a family that lived in Cumber Lower:

1aThomas Todd 1811-1886 Tonduff
1b Sister Sarah Jane Todd (possibly the Sarah Jane Todd 1817-1887)
1c Sister Isabella Todd (possibly the Isabella Todd 1820-1888)
1d Brother James Todd 1820s md Jane Craig
   2aSamuel Todd 1847-1890 Gortnaran md 1874 Isabella
                              Collingwood (descendants came                                       
                              to Toronto, Ontario
   2b Isabella Todd 1843/1848 md John McKinney
   2c Thomas Todd 1851
   2d Sarah Jane Todd 1849/1854/1858/1856

(not sure if John is a brother or a cousin)
             2e John Todd b prob 1840s d 1894 wife Margaret Nimmo
         Robert Todd b 1870
         Mary Todd b 1872 md MR. Curry

Equally interesintg is that there is a will that links the families of Gortnaran to Castslemellan:
NOTE:  The following will links the families of James Todd d 1890 md 1840 Eleanor Ballantyne of Carrickatain, the Thomas Todd of Castlemellon (possibly the son of James) and Thomas Todd of Tonduff (presumably the Thomas who died in 1886)

I William Alexander of Mount Castle in the County of Tyrone farmer hereby revoke all will and testamentary dispositions..to see my sister Martha Alexander cofortably cared for during her life and to us so much of my property as they may consider necessary for hat purpose and at her death I will and bequeath to Mrs. Jane McClerry widow of the late Robert Mc Cleery of Balee in the county of Tyrone and her children by him the sum of 800 pounds..to Mr. John Glenn of Gortilick 800 p  to Thomas Todd Castlemellon widow Sevenson Castelmellon widow Sarah Lowery Castlemellon Joseph Stgevenson of Moynagh James Todd of Carricktane, Thomas Glen of Carricka tane, John McConnll of Glengorley Major Keys near Claudy Isabeela McClay of Aidmore (sp?), James Throne of Tyrkerhaghan Thomas Todd of Tonduff John Stevenson of Cavenacreagh and James Lyons of Mountcastle 200 p each    I appoint James Lyons of Mountcastle and John Stevenson of Cavenacragh both in Tyrone my executors  12 Jun 1880

In a previous post I made in this thread I noted a William Kincade of Adelaide township, Middlesex County, Ontario, Canada who lived next to a Anthony and Isabella Todd.  A descendant of William Kincade, Karl Kincade, is doing some research on these Todds and he located a Will abstract for Anthony Todd and Karl says it notes his sister Ann and brother-in-law John Ballantine of Donagheady Parish, County Tyrone.  There is a further link to Donagheady Parish with John and Nancy Ballantine from Greystone (Cavancreagh) who settled in Lambton County, Ontario (adjacent to Adelaide, Middlesex County).  We seem to have a circle of relations here.  Todds of Castlemellon are linked to the Todds of Toneduff, County Londonderry.  In the early 1800s we have an Elizabeth Kincade of Toneduff and Kincades in Donagheady Parish (two married into the Glenns).  Add in the Ballantines of Cavancreagh.  These are exciting new leads!

Offline rmcmurtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 13 July 12 15:47 BST (UK) »
Could you tell me how I could contact Karl Kincade?  I'd like to see the abstract for anthony Todd.

Richrad McMurtry

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 13 July 12 17:44 BST (UK) »
Richard, I will send you a private message about the abstract.

Offline MarjorieS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 06 January 13 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Thomas Walker Todd of Castlemellon, Co Tyrone is my great grandfather.  My father did a lot of work on his family history in the 1980s/90s and I am trying to follow up any leads.  Thamos married twice - first Hannah Cunningham (I am not aware of any children from this marriage) and then Sarah Jane Hall.

Thomas's father was James Todd who married Eleanor Ballantine from Ardlough.  Eleanor's parents were Thomas Ballantine and Jane Walker.  James's parents were, we think Stephen Todd and Jane ?.  This may be the same Stephen of whom it was reported in the Strabane Morning Post of Tuesday 10 January 1837
"On Thursday last, we understand, some persons attacked the house of Stephen Todd, Castlemellon, near this town; and on a woman opening the door, she was struck with a stone and fell.   Todd, seeing his servant knocked down, was preparing to load his gun for protection, when one of the party fired into the house, and shot him.  He survived until Saturday, when he expired."

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 06 January 13 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Nice to hear from you MarjorieS.

Just to be clear, your great grandfather was the Thomas Walker Todd that PRONI has being of Greerstown, Cullion, County Londonderry and who died on 16 January 1907.  Furthermore, his mother was Eleanor Ballantine of Ardlough, Clondermot Parish, County Londonderry.  Is she the Ellen mentioned as a daughter in the Will of Thomas Ballantine of Ardlough who died on 9 March 1857 (who also had children Thomas (merchant of Clooney Mills, Waterside), Robert Alexander, Elizabeth (m. William Ramage), John, Joseph, Jane and William)?  Is Thomas Ballantine's wife the Jane Walker Ballantine of Ardlough who PRONI has dying on 27 April 1928?

PRONI has the probate of your James Todd of Castlemellon with letters of admin granted to his son Thomas Walker Todd on 6 March 1878 (he having died on 10 October 1877).

Do you have anything on the family of Thomas' wife Hannah Cunningham and wife Sarah Jane Hall?

Best wishes!