Author Topic: IMMIGRATED TO USA FROM IRELAND 1908?  (Read 970 times)

Offline Gaye_Simms

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
IMMIGRATED TO USA FROM IRELAND 1908?
« on: Sunday 18 December 05 03:02 GMT (UK) »
THOMAS JAMES SMITH (maybe McCabe) emmigrated to USA in abt. 1908.  worked in copper mine and travelled to NZ and married.  born Newtownbutler, County Fermanagh 3 Aug 1888.  Any one able to track him down??

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: IMMIGRATED TO USA FROM IRELAND 1908?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 December 05 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Any idea of how long he stayed in the US or where in the US he lived while he was there?  Also, would he have been at Newtownbutler when he emigrated?

You can check www.ellisisland.org, there are several possible Thomas Smiths and Thomas McCabes b. about right time, emigrated about right time, none with middle name James, maybe you can work out which one is right from looking at what they give for relative's name/address.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gaye_Simms

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: IMMIGRATED TO USA FROM IRELAND 1908?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 December 05 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the info re Ellis Island etc.  Thomas James Smith (McCabe) was working in Anaconda copper mine before coming to NZ.    No date at all for either but I guess within 10 years + or - of 1908.  He may have changed name before getting there or on leaving USA.  No idea where he left Ireland from - he was extremely secretive about his past life.   Fab puzzle but very frustrating.  Again many thanks