Author Topic: Some amazingly well researched trees  (Read 11150 times)

Offline Ian

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Some amazingly well researched trees
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 01 April 07 20:55 BST (UK) »
....and there is the satisfaction of doing it yourself!
Sure, I've had imput from other members of the family but I've checked it carefully before adding to my tree.
As previously said, I haven't bought that many certificates (although I have inherited a good few) but I've spent hours studying census returns and walking round graveyards.
To be honest, I've had a lot of help from relatives but others have just taken my work and passed it off as their own. I don't mind that even if they at least bother to say "Thank you".
Anyway, I'm going to add a few extra relatives on a particular site just to see what happens!
Sorry...still so angry.
Sturman, Shirley, Pearce, Gilbert, Austin, Pangborn, Hill, Dwight
All from Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire

Offline Ian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 01 April 07 22:07 BST (UK) »
That was quick....my bogus relative has been added already! And to think that today would be his 277th birthday!

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 01 April 07 22:28 BST (UK) »
That was quick....my bogus relative has been added already! And to think that today would be his 277th birthday!

Satisfaction  ;D ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Ian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 01 April 07 22:44 BST (UK) »
Yes, but I feel quite bad about it!

Still, I did offer to send proof (about the rest of the tree) and had no response so not my problem!
On same site, I have some good contacts who will check back with me so maybe I don't feel quite so bad!

It just annoys me that people will take your work at face value and although I am confident, I've got most right, there must always be some doubt with some connections!

Still....all part of the learning curve.

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 02 April 07 01:52 BST (UK) »
I started to research my family history way back in a 1979, when I was about 14 years old and my Mum was interested in it all. 

We had no internet, no local family history society and no LDS research centre.  We hand wrote all our letters, had no credit card so had to save up and either buy bank cheques in Pound Sterling or find a bank that would get English currency in for us to exchange Aussie Dollars for.  We relied on people in the UK, who we found when we wrote to various Libraries, County Council Offices etc,  to search Parish Records and graveyards for us, and made the occassional expensive trip down to Brisbane when we learned about the existence of the Genealogical Society.

AND we loved every minute of it.  The time it took was part of the anticipation of it all, waiting weeks and weeks for return letters and certificates in the mail.

I still love every minute of it, but I do use much more efficient methods these days.  My internet connection has been a godsend, and my credit card gets a fair bit of use.  I still refuse to put my tree online but do have the some basic information regarding the surnames, dates and places out there in cyberspace to make others aware of my interests. 

I only pass along information when I have proof of relationship and never send photos or copies of certificates until I know that the recipient will respect them for what they are - very personal sources of information.  Perhaps that makes me selfish in some people's eyes, but I feel quite possessive of these people from whom I am decended and I won't share them with just anybody.  I would not like to see my children on the wrong family tree, so why should I feel any less so about my gr gr gr grandparents?

To date I have been extremely lucky in that all the people who have contacted me, or whom I have contacted, via various internet sites, have been legit and willing to share.  I have found some distant relatives who have become friends, and hope to find some more. 

Instant gratification is all well and good, but sometimes good things are worth waiting for.

Thanks for letting me vent

Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marilynesther

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 02 April 07 02:01 BST (UK) »
You guys are scaring me.   :o   I guess I am one of those trusting soles who figures that others searching their ancestry are just a serious about it as I am.

I do  enjoy these sites to find living rellies who have info on brothers or sisters of my direct lines.  The stories really fill in some of the gaps and add color to an otherwise black and white ancestry.  I have met new cousins and together maybe we can solve some of the family history that is a real mystery.  We have shared photos and now have names for some of the subjects who were previously nameless.  8)

I will, however, approach with lots of caution after reading about some of your dealings with others.   I do so enjoy this site.  The knowledge shared here is priceless.

AND TO JINKS -

- re Hargreaves -  I  don't recognize the name Mellor.  I will contact my cousin and see if they have that name in their tree.   I found a site about the Hilden textile company the other night and they give a short background story about their ancestry being directly from James Hargreaves, inventor.   You might check it out on google.

And,  thanks again,  all of you  ;D

M
BAIRD  - Kirkcudbright, Scotland
RAMSDEN - Lancashire, Yorkshire, England
SILCOCK, GREAVES, LORD, GREENALL - Lancashire, England
HOWELL - Stroud,Gloucestershire; Westminster,
 Middlesex, England
COUSINS, DAVIES, KING - Westminster, Middlesex,
 England
WALKER, ARCHER

Offline marilynesther

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 02 April 07 02:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Karenlee,

Just happened to see your surname interest in Lancashire of BIRD...

My Helen BAIRD of Ashton Under Lyne, Lancashire was listed as Helen BIRD on free BMD for her marriage to William RAMSDEN in 1846...She was born in Kirkcudbright, Scotland.

Have you come across the two names being mixed up like this in your searchs?

M
BAIRD  - Kirkcudbright, Scotland
RAMSDEN - Lancashire, Yorkshire, England
SILCOCK, GREAVES, LORD, GREENALL - Lancashire, England
HOWELL - Stroud,Gloucestershire; Westminster,
 Middlesex, England
COUSINS, DAVIES, KING - Westminster, Middlesex,
 England
WALKER, ARCHER

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 02 April 07 02:47 BST (UK) »
Hi M

Heavens, don't let us put you off at all.   :(

I don't doubt that everyone who starts to trace their family history is enthusiastic and very serious.  Unfortunately some just don't understand the need for verification of information before they accept it as fact.  Most of us learn the hard way and become a little more cautious about accepting what others present us.  Some don't and just take what is given without question.

It sounds as though you have been very lucky with your contacts and have managed to avoid being given incorrect information.  I too love going through those sites that may prove useful and I do make contact occassionally.  This site in particular is wonderful for advice and assistance, some of which I have been able to provide to others in the past and will continue to do so for as long as possible. 

As to the BIRD family that you ask about.  I know a little about my BIRDS from Parish Registers, and they all came from Kirkby Ireleth, Lancashire, moved to  Youlgreave, Derbyshire , and  then back to Salford, Lancashire.  I have an Elizabeth BIRD baptised 28 Sept 1792 Kirkby Ireleth, to Thomas BIRD and Sarah nee JACKSON.   Elizabeth married John FOGG in Youlgreave  3 June 1816.   Known siblings of Elizabeth were Sarah, Thomas, Robert and Mary all baptised Kirkby Ireleth.  Thomas, Robert and Mary all died in infancy.  There were a couple of BIRD families in the Kirkby area.  I don't know about any from Scotland though, sorry.

Cheers
Karenlee

Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pegasuss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 02 April 07 03:23 BST (UK) »
Re: Received Family History Data.

I always (try!) to follow the Old Newspaper Reporters '3-Proofs Rule'!

Some (well known!) Reporters have Missed Out on (What Turn Out to be) BIG! Stories by Sticking Religiously to this Rule, but Always stated after the fact that that They would Rather Check Their Facts (Properly) Before putting them In Print with Their Name Attached, Than leave Themselves Open to Accusations of being Less than Truthfull! in what they Print! ::)

Hertzberger, Highton, Walker, Eaton, Webster, Brown, Wright, Speed, Dodd, Holland, Melling, Murphy, Edwards, Bennett, Collins, Critchley, Duffy, Owens, Morgan & Humphreys

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk