Author Topic: GIFFIN from Scotland  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Busy Searching

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
GIFFIN from Scotland
« on: Friday 10 September 04 00:34 BST (UK) »
James GIFFIN born  c1813 in D..... , Ayrshire, Scotland married Janet born c 1813 in Lochwinnock? Renfrewshire Scotland. They married c 1832 and had all their children in paisley, Renfrewshire Scotland. John born c1833, Margaret c 1836, Colin c1839, James c1842, Jessie c1844, and Elizabeth c1847. They immigrated to Australia aboard the Beejapore in 1853 ex Liverpool 12/10/1852. James was a weaver by trade according to ship indents. Any information would be appreciated. :o
Lea/Lee - Hertfordsire, Matthews - Essex, Muddle, Plumb, Gay, Watts, Daley.
McKenna, Phillips, Fowler, Giffin, McCourtie, Eather, Donovan, Frith, Weale, Trevor

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GIFFIN from Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 September 04 17:20 BST (UK) »
From the IGI - is this your James?
Birth:  02 NOV 1815   
Christening:  05 NOV 1815   Dundonald, Ayr, Scotland
Father:  WILLIAM GIFFEN   Mother:  MARY ARNOT
Batch C115904  1778 - 1820  Film 1041339   
If it is, if you look up the batch you will find 6 siblings
I can't find the children on the IGI but you can look up all Scottish births/marriages (incl most church registers) at
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - There is a fee but it is quite reasonable.
Did they belong to a dissenting church? This is sometimes why the christening records are not available. Statutory registration didn't start in Scotland until 1855.
Do you have James death certificate from Australia - This should give his wife's full name and his parent's names.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Busy Searching

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 September 04 23:08 BST (UK) »
Possible, but on the ships indents it looks like the town is Dalry, but I'm not 100% certain this is what it said. It also showed him as being 40 in 1852, but of course they may have lied about their age to be entitled to immigrate to Australia. I can't pinpoint his death (I have enclosed the James Giffins below who died in NSW from 1853 to 1945. They don't normally show the age of the free indexes, and if he moved out of NSW and died there, I can't bring it up because unfortunately NSW is the only state to have Free BDM on line.  This shows registration number of death, Surname, First name, father's first name if known, mother's first name if known, and the district it was registered.   Quite a few are possibles because his daughter married in Sydney in 1858.

3892/1880  GIFFIN  JAMES  AGE 75 YEARS  DIED PADDINGTON  PADDINGTON   
9279/1906  GIFFIN  JAMES  JOHN  MARY  LIVERPOOL 
1011/1877  GIFFIN  JAMES  DAVID  DIED SYDNEY  SYDNEY 
4751/1893  GIFFIN  JAMES  JAMES  MARY  CASSILIS
532/1898  GIFFIN  JAMES  JAMES  JANE  ASHFIELD
8869/1924  GIFFIN  JAMES  ALEXANDER  ELIZABETH  LIVERPOOL
17246/1937  GIFFIN  GEORGE JAMES  JAMES CHARLES  FLORENCE  NEWTOWN
13666/1932  GIFFIN  JAMES  JAMES  LOUISA  NORTH SYDNEY   
Lea/Lee - Hertfordsire, Matthews - Essex, Muddle, Plumb, Gay, Watts, Daley.
McKenna, Phillips, Fowler, Giffin, McCourtie, Eather, Donovan, Frith, Weale, Trevor

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 September 04 06:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Busy

I did look at all those and noted there were none with Father William - so the only possible was the first (Age usually shows when parents aren't available) and He was too old.
There is also this one
15160/1891  GIFFEN  JAMES  UNKNOWN  UNKNOWN  WATERLOO   
as the spelling is sometimes interchangeable.

It seems unlikely that they would have left NSW as there are very few folks with this name outside of NSW on the AVRI (which only goes to about 1880 and does not cover Qld and SA). So I cannot suggest any other "free" internet ideas. Tracking death notices in the SMH may be possible through archives. The NSW transcription agents have a fee for searching multiple records to find the correct one and based on the list you have there would be about 6 to search - I think you could discount 1924, 1932 and 1937 (and you may not get a result!)
Maybe someone else may have some better ideas
Good luck
Trish
NB Age is always tricky - when my grandmother was in her 70s, she found she was 3 years older than she thought she was - took awhile to find her birth certificate!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Col Fullagar

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 April 23 04:51 BST (UK) »
If it is of interest, I have a photo of Jessie GIFFIN Born 1844, at the age of 7 in 1851.

GIFFIN married MCCOURTIE who married MCKENNA who married ARMSTRONG who married FULLAGAR. I am the son of the FULLAGAR who married ARMSTRONG. So Jessie GIFFIN is my Great-Great-Grandmother ........... Col