Author Topic: french huguenots  (Read 96104 times)

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: french huguenots
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Wendy,  Thankyou for the link to the IGI Batch numbers....have you had any luck finding where your ancestors came from in France?..or do you know how to go about this?

Patricia,  Thankyou for your time looking this up....and for the links....I understand about the copyright issue, but is there any way of finding out if there is more information regarding my Carre family?

Warm regards,

Margaret  :)

All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

ARCHIBALD/ADAMS/BROWN/GORDON/WILSON/Midlothian
CADDY/COPPIN/DENITHORNE/GEDYE/GIDDEY/GROWDEN/THOMAS/Cornwall
CAREY,CARRÉ Huguenot/France/Kent/NZ/NSW
CARMICHAEL/GRAHAM/CRAMB/STEWART/Perth
CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
MATTHEWS/Lon/Sry/Oxf/Glouc/NSW
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx
VICCARS/ Lond/Northamps/Hunts

Offline Jones the Search

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Margaret,
As I have explained at the start of this post the Information if Copyright. The only way to find out if the name I have is anything to do with you is to buy the CD.
 I bought mine from a genealogy company who sell CD,s on Ebay.co.uk. They may still offer them for sale or auction.
 :P Mine is up for grabs to anyone in the UK. so make me an offer. ::)
The Cd is two books, with a lot of information , not just a list of names.
                            Sorry not to be of more help.
                                             Patricia
Short: Lincolnshire; India;London;Scotland; Limerick; Belfast<br />Lane: Surrey/London/Northampton/Hereford/Cheshire/Staffordshire<br />Occomore: Hampshire; London<br />Heaton: Yorkshire; Derbyshire;London
Cutts: London;Derbyshire; Yorkshire;Lancashire
One Name Study -  OCCOMORE
~~~~~~~~-------
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
JAQUES
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 13:19 GMT (UK) »
I believe some French Hugenots made their way to North Beds & Bucks counties and were influential in lace making.

THE JAQUES surname is Anglisized in some documents to JAKES and likewise De SALE would lose the 'De' as the English tried to get their tongues around these names.  ;D

Beds Archives has an on-line search engine  :)

cathy
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Margaret,
As I have explained at the start of this post the Information if Copyright. The only way to find out if the name I have is anything to do with you is to buy the CD.
 I bought mine from a genealogy company who sell CD,s on Ebay.co.uk. They may still offer them for sale or auction.
 :P Mine is up for grabs to anyone in the UK. so make me an offer. ::)
The Cd is two books, with a lot of information , not just a list of names.
                            Sorry not to be of more help.
                                             Patricia

Hello Patricia,

Would love to take you up on your offer - but I don't live in the UK.  :(

I will however make enquiries to obtain the CD elsewhere.

Thankyou once again for your help, I appreciate it.

Margaret  :)
All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

ARCHIBALD/ADAMS/BROWN/GORDON/WILSON/Midlothian
CADDY/COPPIN/DENITHORNE/GEDYE/GIDDEY/GROWDEN/THOMAS/Cornwall
CAREY,CARRÉ Huguenot/France/Kent/NZ/NSW
CARMICHAEL/GRAHAM/CRAMB/STEWART/Perth
CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
MATTHEWS/Lon/Sry/Oxf/Glouc/NSW
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx
VICCARS/ Lond/Northamps/Hunts

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 22:53 GMT (UK) »
For anyone in or near Toronto, Canada, I have discovered that the Toronto Reference Library near Bloor and Yonge, holds both of these books.  Thanks to Patricia for pointing them out.

Also, the Huguenot library in London, England has its catalogue online, and it's massive, over 1500 items. 
http://library.ucl.ac.uk/F  While you would need to go to England to take full advantage, you may find some things you want that you could order on interlibrary loan.  I found several items for Devon, which is where my lot settled;  now all I need is plane fare!!
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline Jones the Search

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Can't help you with that one ::)
                       Patricia
Short: Lincolnshire; India;London;Scotland; Limerick; Belfast<br />Lane: Surrey/London/Northampton/Hereford/Cheshire/Staffordshire<br />Occomore: Hampshire; London<br />Heaton: Yorkshire; Derbyshire;London
~~~~~~~~-------

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 28 January 06 01:04 GMT (UK) »

I came across this looking for French ancestry - I'm posting it - in case it can help somebody regarding Hampshire !!

Huguenots

Following the Reformation France had a large minority of Protestants, namely the Calvinists known as Huguenots.
Toleration by Henri IV of Navarre, who made the Edict of Nantes in 1598 granting certain liberties to them, was followed by persecution under Louis XIV who revoked the Edict in 1685, forcing many Huguenots to choose between conversion to Roman Catholicism, death or exile. Hundreds of Huguenots chose the latter, and flocked to England at the invitation of King Charles II.They became integrated into British life, sometimes prospering greatly, as was the case for several prominent Hampshire families such as the Portals or the Garniers. A French chapel dedicated to St Julien became used by the Huguenots for their services on Sundays. Although parish registers from 1562 to the early 18th century are held by the Public Record Office and later ones by Southampton Archives Service, there are references to it in some of Hampshire Record Office’s holdings, particularly the diocesan collection of wills and inventories of French people who died in Hampshire.

These include: 1689B/06 Will of Matthew Brohier of Southampton, merchant, including bequest to the French church in Southampton and mentioning estates in Normandy

and 1731A/120 Will of Elizabeth St Dalham of St Michael, Southampton including bequest to the poor French Protestants of Southampton and stating she is unaccustomed to the laws of this country

Parish registers sometimes contain details of contemporary events such as that for Newton Valence, 33M66/PR1, containing details of the church collection for the relief of French protestants, 18 May 1686 and 11 May 1688

5M52 Portal family papers
The Portals were a Huguenot family from Bagnols-sur-Cèze in France, two of whom were forced to come to England after the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes, and one of whom, Henry, settled in Hampshire, establishing himself as a paper manufacturer at Laverstoke.
Their papers include material relating to the French ancestry of the family; Henry’s certificate of naturalisation as a British citizen, 1711; and printed pamphlets and biographies of the Portal family, especially Baron du Portal

4M52 Ouvry papers
Papers of Lieutenant Louis Ouvry, a Huguenot refugee who came to England in 1707, entered the British army, died 1771 and was buried at Bethnal Green.
Including: an account in French of his early life and travels, nd (18th cent) and correspondence with his family, 18th cent.

Annie  :) :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 31 January 06 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patricia

I've only just discovered this thread. Sorry to bug you, but is there any chance you could check your CD for the name De Tewilly?

My Grandmother was a Twilley. I have an incomplete family tree drawn up by a relative (unfortunately deceased) which has a footnote stating that the family is descended from a French Countess De Tewilly.

One of her sons emigrated to England in 1674 (he settled in Marylebone, London) and had to anglicise his name due to a law passed in 1665 concerning the Huguenots. He changed his name from De Tewilly to Twilley.

All sounds very interesting and I would love to know a little more. My efforts up until now have not been too fruitful, though!

Thanks & regards from Germany,
Karen McD.
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Jones the Search

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 31 January 06 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Karen  :)
I don't see anything that is likely to be the name you are looking for, however let me know what Christian names you have and I will look afresh. Often reference is made to a parent or child.
           Patricia  :D
~~~~~~~~-------