Author Topic: french huguenots  (Read 96117 times)

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: french huguenots
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 31 January 06 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know why Ricketts is a possible Huguenot surname? It says it is on that house of names site. Is that just some Ricketts families?
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patricia

One of her sons emigrated to England in 1674 (he settled in Marylebone, London) and had to anglicise his name due to a law passed in 1665 concerning the Huguenots. He changed his name from De Tewilly to Twilley.

Thanks & regards from Germany,
Karen McD.

I am interested in what this law might have been, because mine too changed their name slightly, and the result was a more anglicized name.  They remember that it had been changed, and what it had been changed from,  right up to the present day!  It strikes me likely that if they remembered the change for all these centuries, then it's quite possible that it was involuntary.  I wonder if they too were affected by this law.  Does anyone know?
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if any Huguenots settled in Lanarkshire? I have found an ancestor called Isobell Muter and I believe the Muters came over from France sometime before the 1750s and 4 brothers settled in the Stonehouse area of Lanarkshire, 3 on farms, and 1 to Edinburgh where I think he went into textiles.
        Just wondering if anyone has come across Huguenots living in that part of the country.
                     Many thanks  Linda.
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I'm tracing my friend's family tree.  She has family stories of Huguenots and indeed I've found two families so far, the Racines and the Jaques.
I am stuck with Jacques RACINE and Mary SORREL whose son Jacques was born 1765 and christened in La Patente French Huguenot, Spitalfields.
Does anyone have information about this couple?  I'd be ever so grateful - have never had to trace such exotic folk as Huguenots, so would appreciate any help!  :)

Thank you
Prue

Offline b.c.rayson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Another London area where the Huguenots were based is Wandsworth which may be of interest to anyone researching them.

Also, could anyone tell me if they employed ' locals ' at silk weaving in the East End ? I have an ancestor whose daughter claimed on her  marriage certificate that he was a silk weaver. At a later date on a Census, in another area of London,  she claimed she was an artificial flower maker which looks as though she may have been involved in the same trade. As far as I know the family name had Irish derivations and I believe they may have been Catholic so unlikely they were Huguenot themselves.
East End, Holborn, Pancras, Strand, Leicestershire, Nottingham:  Chivers, Chilton, Cooper, Phipps, Antliff,  Pettet, Millerchip, France, Hammond

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patricia!

The "oldest" Twilley I have is John, born ca. 1802. Looks as though his father was a John, too.

John's son Frederick was born in 1837 in Strand/London and was a Jewel Case Maker. He had many children, born in Marylebone and Strand, e.g. Frederick (1859) also Jewel Case Maker,  Alfred (1861), Rosetta (1864).

1859 Fred also had lots of kiddies, incl. a Frederick born 1880 in St. Pancras.

Looks as though most of the family stayed in the Pancras area.

Don't know if this helps... :-\

Thanks,
Karen

McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Jones the Search

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi XPhile  :)
Ricketts: According to the Oxford Dictionary of English Surnames it may come from Ricard 1066 as recorded in the Domesday Book and is of Norman origin. There is a large entry, too much for me to put on here so try and get hold of a copy.
Hello Linda  :)
Mutter:  The Oxford Dictionary of English Surnames’ reference found in the Pipe Rolls for Lincolnshire ; Hugo le Motere 1130 . The name derives from old English motere “Public Speaker”
You will only find if they have a Lancashire connection by working methodically back.

Hello Loo  :D
Try this site, it has the history of the Huguenots.
http://www.huguenotsociety.org.uk/history/

Hi Pru  :)
Racine : There is a reference to Racine in relation to The French Hospital of London. Originally located at Bath Street, Old Street ,St Luke The Charity which ran it commenced in 1708 from a bequest by James Gastigny and a Charter was granted by King George 1 in 1718.
Sorrel: Fist shown in Pipe Rolls for Suffolk 1130
Hello B C Rayson :D
Try these site they are very interesting.
http://www.victorianlondon.org/publications4/shadows-06.htm

http://www.smith.edu/hsc/silk/papers/baird.html

http://www.dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/terrace/adw03/peel/chartism/lonchar.htm

http://www.londontreasures.com/scenes_look.htm
Morning Karen, I'll get back to you shortly.
Bye to you all for now  :D  Patricia
Short: Lincolnshire; India;London;Scotland; Limerick; Belfast<br />Lane: Surrey/London/Northampton/Hereford/Cheshire/Staffordshire<br />Occomore: Hampshire; London<br />Heaton: Yorkshire; Derbyshire;London
Cutts: London;Derbyshire; Yorkshire;Lancashire
One Name Study -  OCCOMORE
~~~~~~~~-------

Offline Jones the Search

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen  :D
On the IGI there are 363 Twilley and variants of the name listed.
The earliest is 1541 Wantage Berkshire for William Twillye and 1551 John Twyllye Hampshire, and another Twilly Winchester Hampshire1574
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

I Just typed in the name and choose to search England. (None listed for remainder of U.K) On the tab marked International Genealogical Index. Hopefully this will take you back.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm#PageTitle
This site allows you to view each parish register. You may find more names this way. For example;
C049031
Threadneedle Street French Huguenot, London, London, England
 which shows many French names.
Hope this helps you
                        Patricia  :)

Short: Lincolnshire; India;London;Scotland; Limerick; Belfast<br />Lane: Surrey/London/Northampton/Hereford/Cheshire/Staffordshire<br />Occomore: Hampshire; London<br />Heaton: Yorkshire; Derbyshire;London
Cutts: London;Derbyshire; Yorkshire;Lancashire
One Name Study -  OCCOMORE
~~~~~~~~-------

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Patricia. I shall do some more digging.
         Best wishes   Linda.
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk