Author Topic: WHETHAM family  (Read 11253 times)

Offline AlaskanPrincess

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WHETHAM family
« Reply #27 on: Monday 04 October 21 07:03 BST (UK) »
 Kmc 123
 Kate ... I really am hit or miss with this forum.  Yes, I still need to replace lost / inaccessible files.
Interesting - when I first began this Whetham search, I connected with a couple of others who had done extensive research - they had been unable to link Stephen ... and asserted not related. I just keep researching.  Connected Stephen. And got all the way back to old John - ca. 1400's as I recall, whose will left his house & land to 2 sons - which did not work out well. Anyway, I'm still here - and still interested in seeing anything you, or any other Whetham descendants care to share!

Offline AlaskanPrincess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 23:30 BST (UK) »
Colleen,
A great Christmas gift indeed!  I had almost given up on finding the ending to the Carruthers/Whetham story.  Apologies for the delay in responding, but the Christmas period has been particularly hectic this year.
You have so much information I’m not sure I can add much to it, but I have read the newspaper articles regarding the divorce.  Edward and Edith Carruthers had a daughter Eleanor Jane (Nellie) born in Limerick in 1898.  Edward and Paul Whetham met and became close friends when they were both posted to Kent.  Edward was subsequently posted to Hong Kong and Edith could not, or would not, (don’t know which) accompany him, so Edward asked his good friend Paul to take care of Edith while he was away.  (A bit naïve of him!)  Paul obviously carried out his duties too seriously, and when Edward returned from Hong Kong, Edith refused to join him, so he instigated divorce proceedings on the grounds of Paul’s misconduct with Edith.  It was accepted that Edward was the innocent party and he was awarded custody of their daughter, and also damages of £1,500 – a pretty large sum at that time as I believe Edward’s salary was around £400 a year. 
Edith and Paul travelled to Buenos Aires on the “Asturias” in April 1910, listed as Mr & Mrs Whetham, and Edward Carruthers married Alice Molony in London in September 1911. 
Sadly Edward died in 1917 in his 52nd year.  He was in Sevenoaks, Kent, for his father James’ funeral, and after the funeral had a cerebral haemorrhage and died three hours later.  He had been in poor health for several years with kidney problems.  In his will he asked Alice to take care of his daughter, Eleanor.   I have seen a file of correspondence at the National Archives between 1917 and 1924 concerning his wife Alice’s petitions for a widow’s pension, which she was not automatically entitled to apparently as Edward was an honorary Captain, and later Major, in the Royal Engineers and not strictly speaking military personnel.  Not sure if she ever succeeded as I have not found any further trace of her after 1924, but she did succeed in getting a War Grave for him in Sevenoaks due to his contribution to WW1 despite not being fit enough to go to the front line in France.
Eleanor was at a boarding school according to the 1911 census, and I am not sure how much Alice contributed to her welfare.  She didn’t mention a dependant step-daughter in her correspondence with the War Office.  Eleanor married Flight Lieut. Harry Bligh in 1922.  He was from an old Sevenoaks family, which suggests that she must have spent time in Sevenoaks so maybe her Carruthers family took main responsibility for her welfare as I can’t imagine she could have had a very close relationship with her mother in Argentina. 
Have just checked my Whetham notes and can’t find Thomas and Robert Whetham whom you are descended from.  I only  have the family of Stephan and Jane/Jenny Tucker, and also Stephan William & Maria Louisa Button Evans children.  I suppose Thomas and Robert are a later generation I do not have information about. 

Best wishes and Happy New Year,
Valerie
Valerie
Here we go :)  BTW I am working from public tree - and haven't verified # of children. Also this tree also only goes back to Paul and Joan -- I actually got back to like 1400's, 'old John.' 
Paul Whetham & Joan had 8 children, one was Paul Whetham, who married Anne Curland.
Paul & Anne had 4 children, one was William Whetham, who married Jane Bradford.
William and Jane had  children, one was Robert Whetham, who married Susan 'Susanna' Bragg.
Robert & Susan had  9 children, one was Henry Walter Whetham, who married Caroline Elizabeth Murley [sic]  They emigrated to U.S. in 1851.
Henry and Caroline had 3 children, one was Mariah 'Maria', who married William 0'dell.
William & Mariah = my GGP. 

Offline AlaskanPrincess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 23:36 BST (UK) »
I have attached a section of a large Stephens tree that includes Sir Charles Whetham that might be of interest.  His son, William Townley Whetham (b1842), married Mary Stephens and produced a large collection of children, etc.  The line not shown was Gertrude to Francis Ashby Wallis.  I would be grateful for any information on future generations.  I also would be pleased to receive any snippets on Sir Charles himself.
I realize this is older post .... and maybe it's just passage of time ... but I don't see Stephens tree.  What am I doing wrong? Is it still visible?

Offline AlaskanPrincess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona
My name is Trevor Marlow. I am sitting here with my mother, Connie (b. 1916) (Constance Edith Marlow nee Whetham). She tells us that her father, Arthur Bevis Whetham (b. 1888) was the son of Arthur Whetham and grandson of Sir Charles Whetham (Lord Mayor). I have been to the Mansion House in London and seen the silver cup presented by Sir Charles. Mum has original menus from the Mansion House banquets and other memorabilia.
She has got a family tree but not here with us at the moment. I will get a copy tonight.
Mum and her sister Joan were the only offspring of Arthur (who was also an only child) and thus the Whetham name, on this branch of the family, finished. Mum is certain that Sir Charles was originally from Bridport.
We have got pictures of Sir Charles and Lady Whetham in their full regalia, and mum has also got pictures of her father and possibly also her grandfather if you would like to see them.
Kind regards
Trevor
Realize you made post a while back. Every time I check this board I hope that pics, etc that you mention in this post will be visible.  Yes, Sir Charles was from Bridport -- his wife was not.  I believe confusion came in when info re: his residence at time of marriage was shared.     I also note comments about 'the mansion', etc. -- which assume that all here know where it was.  I guess perhaps I'm the only one that doesn't. lol. 

Offline Splodgew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 19 November 22 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Kmc 123
 Kate ... I really am hit or miss with this forum.  Yes, I still need to replace lost / inaccessible files.
Interesting - when I first began this Whetham search, I connected with a couple of others who had done extensive research - they had been unable to link Stephen ... and asserted not related. I just keep researching.  Connected Stephen. And got all the way back to old John - ca. 1400's as I recall, whose will left his house & land to 2 sons - which did not work out well. Anyway, I'm still here - and still interested in seeing anything you, or any other Whetham descendants care to share!

Hi, I’m Kate’s sister, looking here as Kate directed me to this page some time ago. I live in NZ close to my aunt (Stephen’s granddaughter) who has asked me to find some more information about Stephen and Edith. I’ll ask Kate to check the page and respond to you!

Also if you happen to have Stephen and Peggy (Edith)’s birth and death dates that would be amazing!