Author Topic: WHETHAM family  (Read 11334 times)

Offline TrevorandJackie

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WHETHAM family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 February 07 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona
My name is Trevor Marlow. I am sitting here with my mother, Connie (b. 1916) (Constance Edith Marlow nee Whetham). She tells us that her father, Arthur Bevis Whetham (b. 1888) was the son of Arthur Whetham and grandson of Sir Charles Whetham (Lord Mayor). I have been to the Mansion House in London and seen the silver cup presented by Sir Charles. Mum has original menus from the Mansion House banquets and other memorabilia.
She has got a family tree but not here with us at the moment. I will get a copy tonight.
Mum and her sister Joan were the only offspring of Arthur (who was also an only child) and thus the Whetham name, on this branch of the family, finished. Mum is certain that Sir Charles was originally from Bridport.
We have got pictures of Sir Charles and Lady Whetham in their full regalia, and mum has also got pictures of her father and possibly also her grandfather if you would like to see them.
Kind regards
Trevor

Offline fiandmo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Yay - I found another one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 February 07 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Trevor,
Fantastic to hear from you with your information about the Whetham family.  The only information I have about your g-grandfather Arthur is that he was born around 1851 (based on his age at the 1881 census). He was the 10th child (and youngest son) of the 11 children I have found so far for Charles and Sophia.  Charles was born in Bridport, where his father Stephen ran a company manufacturing rope and sail cloth.  I have a copy of Stephen's will somewhere if you would like a copy. 

My connection with the family is through my g-g-aunt Annie Carr. Annie arrived in New Zealand with her family from Ireland around 1874. She married Frederic Whetham in 1880, they had three boys in NZ (one who died young) and then returned to England c.1890 where another son was born.  Unfortunately two of the boys were killed in WW1 so I am not sure (but ever hopeful!) that there are any surviving relatives of this branch of the family. I have no idea what brought Frederic to New Zealand - he did publish a book on horse racing while he was here and seemed to be employed as a journalist in England ... but nothing else is known.  I've got quite a large tree on the Whetham family (a lot of information kindly offered by a Whetham researcher in the US) which I can send over if you would like it.

One interesting family story I have found is the strange death of Arthur and Frederic's brother, Charles Langley Whetham who was killed by a train in a tunnel near the Swiss Cottage station on Christmas Eve in 1890 - verdict given was accidental death although no reason could be found for him being in the tunnel.

Cheers
Fiona
(and congratulations to the England team for the cricket!)
Cameron - Fort William, Australia, New Zealand
Whetham - anywhere!
Carr - Clare, Dublin, New Zealand
Brennan - Cork, New Zealand
Hovenden - Australia
Willis - New Zealand, Australia

Offline HJCRB

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 21:59 BST (UK) »
I have attached a section of a large Stephens tree that includes Sir Charles Whetham that might be of interest.  His son, William Townley Whetham (b1842), married Mary Stephens and produced a large collection of children, etc.  The line not shown was Gertrude to Francis Ashby Wallis.  I would be grateful for any information on future generations.  I also would be pleased to receive any snippets on Sir Charles himself.

Offline aswhetham

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 04:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi there I'm really new to this board and I see that this thread is a few years old. I'm hoping people still check in.

Being a Whetham myself I am very interested in any genealogical information that others have found. While not a direct descendant of Sir Charles, I come through his brother George who moved to Canada in the latter 1800's. I'm not only interested in completing the nodes of the family tree that I know (most spouses and children are left off), but also going back further (i.e. pre 1700). Any information, direction or advice would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone is interested, I'm currently in possession of a partial family tree that goes all the way back to John Whetham, Sir Charles great grandfather, which my grandmother Jean Gardner McClure (married to Cecil Roy Whetham compiled that focuses mainly on the family branches in Canada.

Thanks
Alistair Whetham

Offline AlaskanPrincess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 November 13 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Greetings from the U.S. - another Whetham descendant checking in. Looking forward to additional posts and connections! :)

Offline WmCjCw42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 March 16 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if anyone is still following these e-mails as nothing has been added for several years.  I came across the Whethams through my Carruthers family.  Captain Edward S Carruthers married Edith Maud Stokes in 1897, but the marriage was not a success and they divorced in 1910.  Edith subsequently married Captain Paul Whetham in Buenos Aires the following year.  Paul was born in 1877 the son of Stephen Whetham and his wife Maria.  Stephen I gather ran the family business in Bridport, while his brother Charles managed the London office.  After their marriage in 1911, all I know is that Paul rejoined the army as a volunteer from Argentina when World War I broke out.  By the end of the war he was a Lieut-Colonel, and was awarded the D.S.O.  I have not found any trace of them returning to England, so would love to hear from anyone who knows anything about what happened to them after this.  I hope there was a happy ending to this story, and they both lived happily ever after! 

Offline AlaskanPrincess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 December 17 11:27 GMT (UK) »
 ;) I stumble across this forum periodically when I'm doing a google search on WHETHAM.  DOn't know if you're still monitoring ... 

Offline WmCjCw42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 December 17 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I'm still interested in finding out about what happened to Paul Whetham, but no luck so far.

Offline AlaskanPrincess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Call it an early Christmas gift! 
Lt. Col. Paul WHETHAM, b. 1877, Bridport; s/o Stephen William WHETHAM and Maria Louisa Button EVENS. Christened 25 Apr 1877, Bridport, Dorset;
1891, resident of Exeter, Devonshire: a 14 year old scholar; at Victoria Park, St. Leonard.
1914: Manchester Regiment Lieutenant Colonel. Royal West Surrey Regiment Lieutenant Colonel. Held by The National Archives, War Office, Armed Forces, Reference WO 372/21/108170 [Medal recipient, 1914-1920].  The London Gazette published several notices of his changes in rank.
Died 11 AUG 1933, Nairobi, Kenya; buried 11 AUG 1933 Nairobi Kenya
Married, in 1911, in Buenos Aires, Argentina to Edith Maud nee: STOKES b. cir 1875 England; d. 15 Apr 1959 Nairobi Kenya; buried 16 Apr 1959 Nairobi Kenya.
Paul and Edith are both buried at Forest Road Cemetery, Section 13, Lot 24, in Nairobi.
She was aged 84 years.
One son identified: Stephen Denis WHETHAM, b. 1911 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I believe his wife was Dorothy Elizabeth LNU.
23 JUN 1926, Kenya Gazette: Voter Registration: Electoral Area (No. 1) Nairobi North: WHETHAM, Edith Maud (Mrs.), Muthaiga
WHETHAM, Paul (Lt-Col D.S.O.) Retired, Muthaiga
Edith had first been married to: Capt. Edward S. CARRUTHERS. They married in 1897 and divorced in 1910.  Portion of article [8 Jun 1910] at Genes Reunited (I'm not a subscriber so couldn't read it all): MILITARY DIVORCE CASE: Captain and inspector on staff of the Royal Engineers, latterly stationed at, Caj-diff, sought divorce from Mrs. Edith Maud Carruthers, against whom he alleged misconduct with Captain Paul WHETHAM, an officer from the army, from whom he claimed damages.
Misconduct.
---  If you're able to discover more detail - I'd much appreciate if you share!  Happy Hunting!  Colleen [descendant of: MP Thomas WHETHAM & Dorothy HOOPER .... Robert WHETHAM & Susanna BRAGG ....