Author Topic: Burial - Ware Congregational  (Read 22975 times)

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
Re: Burial - Ware Congregational
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 December 05 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anna, I had a word with my mother about the congregational chapel and she says she thinks it has a court yard round it but of course it may have had more land than that previously.
      She suggested though that the burial ground may possibly have been located away from the chapel as was the case with the Quaker burial ground in the neighbouring town of Hertford. I dont know if it was usual for a chapel that perhaps had less space in the centre of town than the big CofE parish churches to use a space further out of town.
         best wishes  Linmey.

Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 December 05 20:55 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure whether you have worked out how the churches would have merged.  Ware Congregational Church probably became Ware United Reform Church around 1970.  It is that church which would have merged with the Methodists to form the Leaside church. 

What is not immediately clear is whther the building now occupied is the old Methodist or Congrgational Church.  From the photograph it is old enough to have been one of them. 
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 December 05 21:08 GMT (UK) »
I believe the current Leaside church was built in 1859 and is on the site of the previous chapel building which is the one that Annas relatives would have attended. Leaside is the amalgamation of the United Reform and Methodist churches.
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - third from the left
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 December 05 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linmey & behindthefrogs!!

Many thanks for your replies, I did find out that the various churches merged, the last being somewhere in the 70's (I think??)

If I am correct people couldn't get married in a meeting house/chapel until sometime early 1800s, so possibly the same goes for burials as well.  If think Linmey that your mother is right in saying that a burial ground could be located somewhere else, maybe a local CofE.

Thanks again for your help

Anna :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />names: <br />Josolyne - Essex & Herts, <br />Wainwright - Hamps & London, <br />Kentish - Rotherhithe, London & Kent, <br />Herbert - Seaford, Sussex - London & Glous
Mumford - Essex, Birchanger
Sims-Miles - London & Hertfordshire
Cooper - Great Witley and London (Holborn)
Greengrass - Kent & London

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 December 05 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anna, St. Marys is the largest and oldest of the parish churches although I believe the churchyard has been divided up by a road at some point. I wonder if Anglican churches had a non- conformist corner for burials in their churchyard. Behindthefrogs may have the answer to that one.

Garvey- Ireland.

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 December 05 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Looking at a previous thread it looks like there could have been an unconsecrated section of a burial ground that was for non- conformists.
Garvey- Ireland.

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann12,

I have just found your message re Dead Lane Burials. I don't know if I can be of much help but a relation of mine visited Ware recently (from Oz) to look for exactly what you have asked. I have an ancestor who died 1822 and was possibly buried in "Dead Lane cemetery". I was told that the burial ground that once was part of the church now forms part of the front yard of a private house. The headstones (in many cases) are still standing. Unfortunately my "Male" relative didn't want to ask the householder if he could look around so I am none the wiser as to who is buried there - FRUSTRATING!!!!

It would be a tremendous bonus if someone could go and document all the headstones (I don't think there are hundreds) and save a lot of people searching all the other cemeteries (and save intruding on the occupants of the private home more than necessary)

If you are able to find anything re this site, I would appreciate any information as I have been searching for a LOOOOOOONG time for my ancestors grave site.

Happy Hunting
Regards
Di
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lady Di,
                   I did offer to have a look at the church for Anna so if I can help in any way please let me know as I live nearby. I drove up Dead Lane, now Church Street, on sunday but I couldnt see the church from the road. My Mum knows where it is however and she is going to walk round and have a look. She wont worry about going in someones garden. She will just plead insanity.
         Best wishes.  Linda.
Garvey- Ireland.

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 January 06 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,

Thanks for the reply.

I was so frustrated when I was told that the guys wouldn't go into someone's fron yard and even ask permission to look around - typical male!!  ::)
( I hope I have their story right??)

I have two ancestors who MAY be buried there - Benjamin Medcalf (died 1822) and his wife Mary Medcalf (died assumed 1817-1822 - last child born 1817, husband's Will in 1822 doesn't mention her and he nominated guardians for the children).

I have checked the IGI and they have no records for burials in Dead Lane (Thank goodness they changed the name to Church Street!)

I have a recent photo of the church and it appears to be down a side alley. Apparently it is no longer in use - or so I have been informed.

Anything you (or your mother) could find for me would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Diana
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk