Author Topic: Family Tree Maker....any tips please...  (Read 5715 times)

Offline pretlia

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Family Tree Maker....any tips please...
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 December 05 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm a newcomer to this website and saw the discussion on Family Tree Maker. I have had this program for over a year and really like it, but I tend to go long periods without using it and usually by then I have lots of information to enter. Now I have found that I've duplicated some entries by mistake and when I try to delete them, I end up deleting the original entries too! Does anyone know how I can avoid this? I feel so stupid. I guess I should take more time to discover the full potential of the program!

Andrea
Banffshire, Scotland;  Baxter, Garrow, Ross, Cameron.   
Tyneside/Northumberland; Ayrshire, Scotland; Kennedy, Storey, Cook, Meldrum, Stafford, Smith, Armstrong.

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 December 05 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea
I'm using FTM although an older version(V 6.0.)  I would guess that the newer version just has more baubles, tassles and whistles.
If I have duplicated entries go onto 'People' on the toolbar and click on 'merge individuals' It will bring up two boxes side-by-side so you can choose what information to keep when you merge them. Much easier than trying to find and delete the other way
Jane's suggestion of playing around with a few entries is the best way .....but its too late for that in your case  :(
hope this helps

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 December 05 06:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea

Welcome to Rootschat

Jane  :D
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pretlia

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 December 05 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jane for the welcome. I've only been a part of this website for a couple of days and already I've had help from a couple of people which is great!

Also thanks to Russell for the tips on FTM, I will certainly try the suggestions and will hopefully have everything sorted out soon! :)

Andrea
Banffshire, Scotland;  Baxter, Garrow, Ross, Cameron.   
Tyneside/Northumberland; Ayrshire, Scotland; Kennedy, Storey, Cook, Meldrum, Stafford, Smith, Armstrong.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 31 December 05 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea

I have just had a thought. You could start a new database with FTM and just put in a few entries. Go to file/new. You can then play around with it without ruining the proper one. You could put in double entries and all sorts to then work out how to merge etc.

You just need to make sure when you open FTM that you are on the right database. It will open automatically on the last database you were using. To change it go to file/open/whichever database you want. To make it obvious it is a play database use cartoon names etc.

I am really sad and made a new database for my current dog and the last 2. This was to find out how closely they were related as pedigree certicates are hard to work it out. It was brilliant I just ran a kinship report.

Have fun

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenniferB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I have Family Tree Maker version 6 and have never found a problem but my fellow researcher in the US has sent me a copy of her info which she has on her version of FTM and My old version 6 will not download hers, it says that hers is a newer version than mine.
If I bought myself a newer one, can anyone tell me which one would be the best one? there seems to be 2005 DeLuxe  and 2005 Collectors Edition, bit confusing really - will a new one automatically update my old one?
Jenny
York/e  from Beds and Northants
Palmer from Northants
Dadd from Deal in Kent   
Smith from Walmer in Kent

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny
The Family Tree Magazine recently issued an updated freebie version of Family Tree Maker and were careful to point out that it would automatically upgrade your existing version.

So far I haven't actually tried it but before I do I will make a full backup onto CD of my existing tree so that if there is a problem e.g. interference with some of the other software already on my computer; I can clear the programme and revert to my old version. I'm quite happy with the old one anyway! 

The programme makers/compilers try to ensure that their software does not interfere but there are so many different programmes like shoot-em-up games  etc that they can never be certain how one interacts with the other.

Backing up data is something you should do regularly anyway and keep a copy in a safe place preferably at a relatives house or similar. Well.... would you like to start all over again?

Although I haven't seen it I would guess that the Collectors Edition has extra CDs of indexes, names lists, census extracts etc. I have 3  CDs with mine but have never actually found them of any use but my research has been exclusively Scotland.
Hope this has been of some help

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline JenniferB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Russell
I will make a copy as you suggest, its something I do sometimes, then add more info and then forget again.
I had wondered if the extra cd's of info would be of any value, mostly they are usually of US lists.  But I think that there is supposed to be a UK version of extra discs - parish records etc.
Sorry to have missed the freebee, but you can't win em all can you.
regards
Jenny
York/e  from Beds and Northants
Palmer from Northants
Dadd from Deal in Kent   
Smith from Walmer in Kent

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Mine is FTM 2005 collectors edition. It came with 11 cds. Some I have used, Pallots marriage and baptism index but others I haven't, 1851 census as it is on Ancestry. I have found the websearch useful.

I suppose you only get to know the program you use so I cannot compare it to any other program. I would probably been happy with any program as the aim was to get rid of all the paper except for certificates and census images. Then I can use the space to keep the 'filling out their lives' eg medals, original photos (though I have scanned alot), family books, pieces of lace, paintings and all the other treasures  retrieved from mums loft!