Author Topic: Mutch/Riddell/Hay Families in marnoch area  (Read 14702 times)

Offline fluffnco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mutch/Riddell/Hay Families in marnoch area
« on: Saturday 11 September 04 17:44 BST (UK) »
I'd be interested in any information anyone can give me on these families in the marnoch (particularly Aberchirder ) area.

I'm particularly interested in anyone who can give me details of a Jeannie Hay Mutch who was probably born around the 1919 - 1920's in the Marnoch area. She died in 1962 in the Dingwall area. If anyone can give me a lead on her possible parents then it would be a start. I am intending to try to get hold of her birth Cert. next month (when funds allow) but without parents names it's going to be hard. 

John Riddell  (no birthdate) died early 1990's and buried in Marnoch cemetery but who lived and died in Aberchirder as did his mother. I have no other details on him as to where he was born but am assuming he was also born in the Marnoch area.

anything at all would be a great help even if it doesn't seem to link
ty
Fluffnco
Researching:
Thomson/Davies/Johnson  - (St Pancras/Shoreditch  Area London  and Monmouthsire),
Cross  -  (Burradon/Gateshead/Tynemouth areas of Newcastle on Tyne)
Anderson -  ( Gateshead/Wallsend/ Byker/Tynemouth areas of Newcastle on Tyne)
Mutch  -  (Marnoch/Aberchirder/Ellon/Inverkeithny/Fyvie/Turriff areas of Banffshire Scotland)
Riddell  -  (Marnoch/Aberchirder areas of Banffshire Scotland)

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Mutch/Riddell/Hay Families in marnoch area
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 January 05 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fluffnco

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fluffnco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 January 05 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ticker,

I've managed to get jeanie Hay Mutch's death certificate details via scotsorigins. She married in Dingwall on 21st March 1950 to a David Stirling.

her death cert details were as follows
Parish - District: Inverness
Ref: 098/A Entry 413
name: Jeanie Hay Stirling, Married to David Stirling, General labourer
Date and Place: 8th June 1962, 6pm, Raigmore Hospital, Inverness, usual residence 6 Meiklefield Road, Dingwall
Sex and Age: Female, 42
fathers name: (Blank)
Mothers name: Christina Mutch, Deceased
Cause of Death: Lympho-Sarcoma of Small Bowel, Unknown years
Informant: W J (unclear Initials)Stirling, Brother-in-Law, 12 Cluny (unclear) Road, Dingwall

This means she was definitely born in late 1919 or 1920. I don't have her birth certificate as I have been researching another line of my tree.
I've paid and searched the scotlandspeople site in the 1881/91 census and statutory register for births of Christina Mutch.

MY mother believes Christina may have have came from the Ellon district and she seems to think that she was told by my fathers 'foster' mum that Jeanie Hay Mutch was orphaned when young although she really isn't too sure on this. My dad was never officially adopted. His mum left him and his brother who died age 16 in the care of my 'granny chris' and left the village. She never returned for them. My mum has a suspicion that Granny chris may possibly have been Jeanie's sister but with a different father although this hasn't been proven as fact.

In my 1881 census search I found a Christian Mutch age 31 living at Ellon Station, Ellon, Aberdeen
and also
Christina Mutch age 24 living at Ardlin, Ellon Aberdeen

I performed a search of both the 1891 and 1901 census for Christina Mutch's and Christina Mutch age 41 in Ellon showed up but no christina aged 34 in Ellon although there was one in Savoch age 33. However for these two ladies to have been the mother of my Jeanie Mutch she would have had to be a menopause baby I would think. I'm erring towards the thinking line that these are not my Christina.

I looked for births around the 1901 area thinking that maybe Christina had Jeanie young and abandoned her or died after giving birth to her. I found a Christina Mutch born in the Cruden area on dec 26th in Hatton village Cruden to a James Mutch and a Christina Mutch (maiden name Annand??) who were married on 28th June 1895 in Cruden.

I have no idea of knowing if the Cruden area is any where near the Ellon area and to be honest I have become a little disheartened. Having no concrete details to go on is making this very hard.

Because my father was abandoned he has real issues with even talking about it and so getting even snippets of information has not been an option.
I feel like I'm looking for a needle in a haystack LOL

The Jeanie Mutch birth certificate I sent off for was the wrong person and far too old for my Jeanie Hay Mutch so I've not really got any further in this line of inquiry at all. At least having a concrete age for her death gives me something further to work on.

If finances allow me too I may travel upto Edinburgh later in the year and have a hunt personally for information on this family line :)

I just wish the scottish BDM's were set up similar to the GRO's as I find it easier to hunt for people on the GRO system :)

so that's as far as I have got.

thanks for enquiring Ticker

kind regards
 Del

Researching:
Thomson/Davies/Johnson  - (St Pancras/Shoreditch  Area London  and Monmouthsire),
Mutch  -  (Marnoch/Aberchirder/Ellon/Inverkeithny/Fyvie/Turriff areas of Banffshire Scotland)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 March 05 23:55 GMT (UK) »
If your Jeanie Hay Mutch was born in 1919/20, she would indeed have been a miracle if her mother was already 24 (never mind older still ) in 1881  ;) Your Christina may not even have been born by the 1901 census! (Actually I would not be surprised if the one you found in 1901 is the right one).

If I were you I would have another look for Jeanie's birth certificate, but extend a couple of years either side of 1919/20 just in case. Also remember that she may have been registered as Jane, Jean or Janet (or something more obscure) and without the middle name.

Cruden is close to Ellon; If you go to www.streetmap.co.uk and search for Cruden Bay and Ellon you will see that they are only a few miles apart. In fact the two parishes come within less than a mile of one another.

Is it possible that "Granny Chris" could actually be his grandmother rather than an aunt?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 March 05 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
This is a bit confusing, you poor thing..
In what I have seen, of Illegitemate children,
if the mum is a child herself, someone else will bring the baby up.
on Jeanie's marriage cert, it may say who brought her up, it will say who her mum is and may say who was acting as mum.

But anyway, I am thinking that in 1919-1920, Christina was a teenager, and has had Jeanie, and someone has raised her, so Christina can go on with working.
Now all this is of course, only a possibility.
I looked for a death of a Chr* Mutch first.
Going from 1918 through to 1950. all  of Scotland.
[You have probably done this yourself]

There were 3 possibles.
14   1937   MUTCH   CHRISTINA      F   65   FRASERBURGH   ABERDEEN   196/00 0102

16   1942   MUTCH   CHRISTINA      F   55   FRASERBURGH   ABERDEEN   196/00 0015

17   1946   MUTCH   CHRISTINA      F   42   ABERDEEN NORTHERN DISTRICT   ABERDEEN   168/01 0478

I decided to go with no 17.

It says
Christina Adam , married to William Adam.
died 5th April 1946 aged 42yrs. she died at the Maternity Hospital, aberdeen. her usual residence, was
[GET THIS]
North Tollo? Fortrie Inverkeithny.
[which is 2.6miles from Marnoch]
her father was William Mutch farm servant, deceased.
her mother was Mary Barron Mutch, maid surname Grant.
Christina died of Eclampsia, and cardiac failure.
on the same cert.
her son died the next day. called James Adam.
ALL SO TRAGIC. I'm sorry.

now if this is your Christina, then she would have been 16yrs, old when she gave birth, to Jeanie.   and she would have had to give her child to someone to look after.
She Married William Adam 14th Feb 1925 at 54 Castle street, Aberdeen, in the presence of William Raeburn and Mary Barron Grant or Mutch..both residing at Kirktown Inverkeithny by Turriff.
William was 22yrs and usual residence was Aucharnie, Forgue. his parents were Alexander Adam and Annie Adam MSurname, Chalmers.
Christina Mutch 21yrs, living at Kirktown Inverkeithny by Turriff parents William Mutch and Mary Barron Mutch [MS] Grant.

I found the index of birth for Christina Mutch 1904 Auchterless.

Now this isn't Ellon but it is on the way there.

There is one other  suitable, to do with Fraserburgh. and she would be considerably older. born 1888.

So who raised Jeanie, I wonder.
I wonder if, her mum got her back, after she married.
and  told Jeanie that she was a relative and [not addmitted to being her mother].  And if Jeanie gave her 2 children to later to Christina, until Christina died, and that is why your father and his brother , were sent to a foster mum.  Does 1946 sound likely, for them to go into fostercare?

Love to hear your view.
Kenjo
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline fluffnco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 March 05 02:36 GMT (UK) »
Wow kenjo there are maiden names popping up in what you found that ring bells here with me *huge grin*

My 'granny chrissie' who took my father and his brother in had the name Chalmers. From what I have managed to piece together she never married but did have four children who my father looks on as his 'family' and she took my father and his brother in when my dad was 5 years old. My father was born in January 1938 so it was approximately 1943 when he began living with Granny Chrissie. I believe my father's brother was two years younger than my father and was born around 1940. Unfortunately my dad's brother died at the age of 16 with a very bad asthma attack. My dad was 18 at the time and joined the army shortly after his brothers death where he later met my mum.

I can vaguely remember my father used to take us to visit a farmer on the odd occasion we went upto Aberchirder for a visit, who he used to help out when he was young.I knew him only as Mr Grant and all my father has ever told us was that he used to work on Mr Grants farm. There was never any talk about them being related to us in any way or even related to Granny Chris but it may be that they were. Unforunately Mr Grant died several years back and his farm was sold so I have no way of verifying anything.

I may ask my mum for contact details for the siblings of my granny chris and see if they are willing to talk to me and help me out with anything they can remember being said about my dad's real mother and father. It all seems to have been kept very quiet and 'hidden' from us 'kids' over the years though so they may not be willing to disclose anything. Guess I can but try and see if I can get any leads.

I'm certainly feeling a desire to begin this quest again thanks to your researching on my behalf and I really am grateful to you for that. Where on earth did you manage to unearth these details? I looked through what I found on scotlandspeople site and I have got both of these in searches I did for any Christina Mutch's and I even have a print off of Christina Adams Death Entry along with her baby sons (along with several other Christina's too ) :)

I'm going to ring up Edinburgh and ask for them to do a search for jeannies birth, marriage and death certificates and see if there is anything else on them that will help me so keep your fingers crossed. With hindsight I should have rang them first but you live and learn

I'll certainly keep you posted of my findings :)

Was the 1888 Christina the one who married a Cameron by any chance?

Once again thank you for taking the time out to do this on my behalf. I really do appreciate it :)

Del
aka fluffnco

PS it was me on GenesReunited too :) Just not got round to answering you yet as I needed to renew my membership
You've certainly given me a lead to follow.
Researching:

Offline fluffnco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 March 05 13:24 GMT (UK) »
I rang up the GRO in Edinburgh today and ordered Jeanie Hay Mutch's Birth, Death and marriage Certificates. They are going to do a search two years either side of 1920 for her birth for me. The gentleman I spoke to was very helpful so I am hoping I get them within the next 15 days :)

I just love getting money for an easter present :)

I'm hoping the birth Certificate will give me a hint as to Jeanie's father although knowing my luck he won't be mentioned LOL however, it will tell me at least where she was born which in turn should help in determining if the Christina you have homed in on is the correct one or not.

I'll let you know as soon as they arrive. I'm quite excited about this all again now :)

Adele
aka Fluffnco
Researching:

Offline ellenbrora

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grant ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 March 05 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Adele

Once you get a little further back, I am sure we have some connections here.

I have lots of Aberdeenshire Mutches, with generations of Christinas/Christians. in the 1800's - and a history of illegitimacy and farming their kids out!

My great grandfather John Angus Mutch known as Wright, was born illegitimately to a Catherine Mutch. He was brought up by Catherine's aunt and uncle (Wright).

Catherine Mutch had a sister Christina/Christian b. 1860, so far too old to be your Christina. And their mother was Christian Mutch nee Duncan.

Can't see where the connection might be yet, but the places & names tie in with my research to date, so somewhere I think we'll find a match some day!

Regards

Ellen.
Grant, Wright, Packman, Parley

Offline fluffnco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 March 05 22:14 GMT (UK) »
WOOHOO!!! I feel like I have won the lottery!! :D

Received my grandmothers (Jeannie Hay Mutch) birth certificate back today and she was NOT born in Marnoch but in Inverkeithny!! How's that for tying loose ends up and what a fast turn around from ordering the certificates to actually receiving them too :D With hindsight I should have sent off for her birth certificate via direct telephone ordering the first time but you certainly live and learn

Kenjo I can't thank you enough for all the hard work you put in on my behalf. It's people like you that make this site what it is!!

Jeannie was born on 12th April 1921, Midtown of Haddo, Inverkeithny and only her mothers name is on the certificate. Her mother registered the birth on 2nd May of 1921. Think I can safely say that the Christina Adams (nee Mutch) you found is the correct one so I am totally over the moon. Let me know how much you spent on this and I'll reimburse you in full. I just can't believe you managed to not only pick the right Christina Mutch but also took her family lines so far back for me. My father is going to be delighted. Just got to wait until he returns from his 3 month extended break in Canada now to tell him the good news! :D

Ellen - I've not had a chance to search through the whole tree that Kenjo has sent to me yet but once I have I will contact you and we can look through our trees and compare. Could be that you are related to a sibling of one of my relatives which would be great :D

Wow! I'm so so thrilled!! hehe can you tell ;)

ok off to peruse my newest branches on my tree. will be in touch :)

Del

Aka Fluffnco
Researching: