Author Topic: Owen/Owens family 1841 census  (Read 7541 times)

Offline cherryg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Owen/Owens family 1841 census
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 09:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the swift reply! Hope you'll find something useful in the baptism info - do you know when or where your Edward & Elizabeth were married? It would probably say on the record if he was a widower.

From the notes I took, looking at the Parish Registers in the Powys Records Office very recently, I see that the Edward & Margaret Owen who baptised David and Sarah in 1824 also had a William, 1820, and Elizabeth 1826. I'd be interested to hear if you do make a connection, and if I find our trees linking up, I'll be sure to let you know! Do you know who the Rees members in the household were, on your census return? There is an Elizabeth Rees in ours too, b. around 1758, who married John Owens. It seems to be quite a common name in the area, and I haven't found out any more about her yet.

Cherry

Offline baracws

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 11:39 BST (UK) »
cherryg,

The 1826 birth of their other daughter Elizabeth ties up nicely with her known age.
Sorry I have no information on Edwards marriage to his second (I now believe) wife Elizabeth.
It would also be nice to know the maiden name of Margaret, as she being the mother of my G.G. Grandmother.

Thanks for helping me with this.

Regards, baracws

Offline baracws

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 12:44 BST (UK) »
cherryg

Found the following on the curiosfox website

David Owen b. circa.1819 (May 06 Red)

Looking for info on the family of David Owen of Gollon. Father was Edward Owen (Labourer) on marriage certificate in 1843.at St. Harmon

Looks like the same family? Were Sarah and David baptised at St. Harmon?

I'll have to take a trip up to Llandrindod records office to see what I can dig out. Would they hold marriage records prior to 1837?

Offline cherryg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Powys Records
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 September 08 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi there - the Powys Records Office can be checked out at http://www.powys.gov.uk/index.php?id=647. (or just use www.powys.gov.uk and go through from there). If you click on the section 'Our Records' on the right, in the next window you'll see Parish Registers for the different counties; click on eg Radnor and a list of available registers comes up. All these registers are stored on microfilm and I found it very helpful to figure out in advance which ones I wanted to look at. You do need to book a seat in advance as the space in the research room is very limited. The staff are very helpful.

The parish registers have records going back well before 1837, some to around 1600, but the early ones can be very difficult to read on microfilm. I found most of the late 18th/early 19th c. ones well set out and easy to read, though the ordering can be tricky between sections, and you need to keep a close eye on the list of dates & events in the registers that the staff lend you to navigate through them. Non-Conformist records are more of a problem, and the info is scanty.

The baptisms I wrote about are from the Llandewi Ystradenni register, so I don't know whether this would be St David's, which is the parish church according to a quick look on the internet, or St Harmon's. The church at Abbeycwmhir was undergoing repairs at the time which is maybe why they shifted it into the next parish. By the way, parish records for Abbeyc.h. are with Llanbister until 1831 (?) when the church at Abbey was finally recognised in its own right. The entries don't always say which church was used, but sometimes GOL is written with the person's name, indicating that they came from Abbey and were presumably 'done' in the church there.

Re the curiousfox entry - not sure - will look more closely. I'm no longer a member of the website there but if you want to pass the info on that I've posted, please feel free.

Good hunting!
Cherry

Offline baracws

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 September 08 09:04 BST (UK) »
Cherry,

Thanks for all that advice, I will certainly book a session at the records office as soon I can conveniently do so.
I will also pass on your information to that chap on curiousfox, although I'm not a member either, I'll find away around that.
After my visit to the records office I will post my findings here to keep you updated with my quest.

Thanks again for all your help.

John, (baracws)

Offline cherryg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 September 08 09:33 BST (UK) »
Great! Look forward to hearing how you get on.
Cherry

Offline baracws

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 09:22 BST (UK) »
Cherry,

I went to the records office at Llandrindod yesterday, but the reel of micro-film for Llanbister was already in use by someone.
But in the short time, which I had reading the film I discovered that Edward Owen married by Banns to Margaret Edwards on the 31st of December 1810 at the parish church.
When I get chance I will re-visit and see what else I can find out about the family.

Offline kmo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi
You can buy transcriptions  of the Llandewi and Llanbister parish registers on CD.
http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=listlinkeditems&cat=D6102&supplier=&breadcrumb=Parish+Registers%3A+Wales:Powys+FHS
kmo

Offline cherryg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 19 September 08 19:29 BST (UK) »
Baracws - Have you managed to link this Edward & Margaret Owen to the Edward Owen in your tree as firmly as you would like yet? It would be interesting to decipher the Owen(s) family network around the area. Perhaps we'll turn up that connection between our two families. My family were originally Owens, then most of the following generations gradually dropped it.
Good luck!
Cherry