Author Topic: Can anyone identify WWI uniform please  (Read 9133 times)

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone identify WWI uniform please
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 31 December 05 04:11 GMT (UK) »

Kev !

The Royal Field Artillery at Hemel Hempstead

In London the Territorials of the 2nd London Division assembled and prepared to move to their war stations - which were centred on St Albans. The Royal Field Artillery were to move to Hemel Hempstead By Monday, 10th August, an advance party of officers were looking for billets for both men and horses. By the end of the week they had requisitioned many buildings including the Town Hall and the Corn Exchange in the High Street, the Brotherhood Hall, and Boxmoor Hall. Open areas such as Gadebridge Park, the Old Recreation Ground and the adjoining fields of Hand Post Farm were got ready to receive the Gunners. The bulk of the Gunners arrived in the evening of 16th August.

A summary of their initial dispositions

The headquarters staff of the 2nd London Division divided West Hertfordshire between the different brigades' infantry and each area was further subdivided . The 5th Brigade R.F.A. was based around Hemel Hempstead High Street and Gadebridge Park. Their headquarters was in the Town Hall and Dr Faulder's surgery was in the Card Room in the Hemel Hempstead Institute at 48, High Street . Initially at least, some of the horse lines were in Gadebridge Park. The 13th Battery had a cook house in or near St Mary's Hall, George Street, and most households in the town would have had soldiers billeted with them. Some of the units were billeted in the Gade valley as far north as Great Gaddesden.

The 6th Brigade occupied Marlowes, and the roads around the Midland Station south of Queen Street (now Queensway). The Brigade headquarters were in St Paul's Church School, with horse lines on Hand Post Farm. Lieutenant Colonel Machugh was probably at the Midland Hotel, while Dr Welch's surgery was in the Locke's stables at No. 1, Christchurch Road. Major Gordon was billeted with the Locke's and the 16th Battery had a cookhouse at the White House, in Marlowes, which may also have served as their headquarters. The 17th Battery's headquarters were in the Congregational Manse in Alexandra Road.

The 7th Brigade occupied Boxmoor with horse lines on the Moor. The 18th Battery appears to have been around the Heath Park area, with some horses stabled at Edney Brothers in London Road, which were later moved to Lawn Park. The 19th Battery appears to have been at Bovingdon.

The 7th Brigade Ammunition Column is known to have used stables at Boxmoor House in Box Lane, Chaulden House, Green End, Gravel Hill and Northridge. Second Lieutenant Pilditch was initially billeted at the Heath Park Hotel, then in an allegedly haunted room at Heath Farm. He later moved to the Fishery Inn, and finally stayed in Mrs Dunbar's private house in St John's Road. He also spent a short time in a cottage in Bovingdon. The 8th Brigade was based in Apsley, with the 21st Battery quartered at Shendish.

Also there is a book with the name Wood mentioned in it! .....

http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/data/chrisinfo/londongunners/lg-intro.htm

Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline ganges boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 19:52 GMT (UK) »
I own a Royal Artillery cap badge, and it is different to the one that is illustrated.  On mine, the field gun is centred fair and square above the lettering.  On yours the badge is not symetrical.Good luck with your search. ganges Boy
dorset, wiltshire, hampshire

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi, i think it is in the middle, i think the cap is at an angle in the photo so it looks offset.

Kev. ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline ganges boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 06 January 06 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Idon`t buy that. Sorry||. Ganges Boy
dorset, wiltshire, hampshire

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 06 January 06 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Any suggestions?

Kev.

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Just to let everyone know, i have had a message from my great auntie. She has his medals and i should be getting a photo in the next few days, i have asked her to also send me his regiment and number from them. She also said as far as she is aware he was in the Royal Horse Artillery.

Will post the info when i get it.

Kev. ;D ;D

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 20:48 GMT (UK) »
excellent news Kev

will you post the photo when you get it pls?

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 28 January 06 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, this is what i definately know now.

Gunner John Wood 92395 Royal Field Artillery.

So it is Royal Artillery, but field not horse.

His medal card has the British war and victory medals on it, so no star.

Nothing else on it at all.

Should get a photo in the next couple of days.

Hopefully i can get his army records now, if i can afford it.

Kev. ;D

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 28 January 06 13:17 GMT (UK) »

so that wasn't his MIC that we looked at previously!!

do you fancy posting the new one?