Author Topic: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RootsChat ! or: "Then he said, 'why not do it?' so we did."  (Read 21584 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sarah, in The Western Mail, 16th. June 2005
"I was complaining to Trystan and he asked me what I would do if I were running a website.

"Then he said, 'why not do it?' so we did."

The site went online on December 31, 2003.
Full interview: http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/rc-media.php#westernmail

So just what did Trystan and Sarah do ? This is my, personal view of what they did.

I joined RootsChat (RC) on 23rd. January 2004 and shortly afterwards I joined GenesReunited(GR, then GenesConnected) and ScotlandsPeople (SP).
Three forums, three different atmosphares.

I remember posting in a discussion about RootsChat on GR that RC was very 'helpful, but formal'.
I preferred GR and SP as they were much livelier.  But that was then !!  So, what changed ??

I believe that the BIG catalyst was, that on September 2004 the new Board "The Lighter Side" was opened, followed closely by 'The Even Lighter Side (Totally Off Topic)"in October 2004
This seemed (in my view) to release the humour of hundreds of RootsChatters, and

All of a sudden, all these serious, (dare I say it ?) somewhat staid seeming, sometimes even boring (I'm going to get lynched !)  geneaolgists have been going crazy, and discovering that they (still) have a sense of humour, and that this is a great place to show it !  :P

and once this "lighter" touch was released, it rapidly moved onto the regular boards and gradually RootsChat became "the only place to be".

But it wasn't just the "lighter touch" --
at some stage RootsChat stopped being "just" an "I'm looking for my GGG-Grandad" Look-Up board and RootsChatters started branching out:
The "bread and butter" queries are still being answered, but every so often, a particular query, or photo, or snippet of information catches the eye and imaginations of RootsChatters, with fascinating results ..

for instance:

Topic: Local Detective Constable seeks your help in historic enquiry...

the monthly challenges starting from April 2005
Topic: The April 2005 Rootschat Challenge

Topic: "Parkhurst Boys" transported to NZ 1842/43

Topic: London Newspapers in 1823  A tale of russian spies and court intrigues ...

Topic: Mystery picture found near site of Canadian plane crash in Wales...who is he?

Topic: An interesting story......

Topic: BBC: A Challenge for Rootschatters

Topic: Where is this photo taken? Please?

All these and many more were read by hundreds of RootsChatters and Guests;
followed more closely than the "soaps", many waited tensely to see the "next episode", rejoiced when the next piece of the puzzle was discovered.
Some "listeners" even admitted to adding a "well done" reply, just so they would be "notified" of anything new.

Some of these results even reached the media: see RootsChat in the Public Eye

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Then he said, 'why not do it?' so we did."
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 December 05 11:45 GMT (UK) »
(continued)

"Challenge" became the "buzz-word" for RootsChatters - but it wasn't just "Can you find ..." challenges !

On The Lighter Side we had
- Topic: Censuswhack

- the Caption competitions, from June 2005 through to
  Topic: Annie's December Caption Competition

and many other light-hearted searches and challenges

On the Photograph Restoration board, experts and beginners shared their knowledge to restore photos.
Some of the best examples were added to a  RootsChat Gallery

But the results weren't just the photos themselves: look closely at some of the topics, and you will often see comments from those who submitted the photos ["Mum is so thrilled...", "... asked me to thank all of you ..", etc].
My favourite example: Topic: Another photo to fix ........ please

On the Armed Forces Board people also rose to the various challenges, providing all sorts of information for the hungry seekers ..

What is noticeable on both these boards, is the fruitful co-operation and exchange (cross-pollination ?) with other 'expert forums'

A totally different challenge for some RootsChatters was actually just a side-effect of family history:
RootsChat offered free webspace to any RootsChatter who wanted to build a family history website.
Many RootsChatters who, on their own admission, had little or no idea of computers, internet, FTP, web-programming, etc, decided they would like to take advantage of the RootsChat offer and have their very own website.
Everybody who could pitched in and helped, and as the beginners learned, they themselves began to help others, and we now have an impressive list of RootsChat Member's websites
Topic: List of Rootschat Websites

RootsChatters also offered help and support on topics that had nothing to do with genealogy, they helped to find people when worried parents couldn't get in touch, they offered emotional and practical support in times of need, they even supplied recipes, and ideas for presents and parties.

So, coming back to the original question: what did Trystan and Sarah do ? 

Well, I know they originally started a website to help answer genealogical queries, but, in my opinion, in doing so they actually provided the basis for a community of hobby genealogists and friends, who give and receive help in all sorts of things, not just genealogy.

On 31st. December 2005 RootsChat will be 2 years old

Happy Birthday, RootsChat, long may you grow and prosper ...

Thank You, Sarah and Trystan, for sharing your "child" with us ...

And, Thank You, Every RootsChatter, who has helped to make this site what it is,
Quote from: Jakky
like a second home full of the nicest people

or, to quote someone who is not even a RootsChatter, but who has personally experienced what RootsChatters can do:
Quote from: Juddee's Mum
Now I know why you love RootsChat so much,  everyone gives of themselves unconditionally.
in Topic: Another photo to fix ........ please

Update:
One year later:
Topic: "And now we are 3 !!": Dec 31 Rootschat's Birthday
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,202887.0.html
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 December 05 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Now that's a birthday worth celebrating!!  ;D ;D

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROOTSCHAT
Well done to everyone - especially Trystan & Sarah

Keith

Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 December 05 12:30 GMT (UK) »
An excellent summary Bob.

You have just missed one thing that is "behind the scenes" but makes me look at Rootschat every day - the PM system.

I have regular daily correspondents all over the world, none of whom I knew before Rootschat.  We talk about genealogy sometimes, but also put the world to rights, exchange useful info (several are helping me choose what kind of dog to have!!), commiserate, celebrate, you name it!

Then there is the chatroom - you have to be on your toes in there (thanks Sandee for initiating me!)

Happy Birthday Rootschat!!

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Sisterjane

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Castle Hill Huddersfield...Im Here..Where are They
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 December 05 13:27 GMT (UK) »
                        Happy 2nd Birthday Rootschat

Some have come
Some have gone
But Rootschat is.......
Second to none  8)

Joe
Kershaw, Longbottom,Parvin
Areas  Huddersfield, Brighouse, Rastrick ,Thirsk, Sand Hutton
Masters in London/Surrey
Cencus information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 December 05 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Happy Birthday Rootschat
That was a great "This is Your Life" Bob.  Rootschat has achieved such an enormous amount in such a short space of time, it's gone from strength to strength, I'm looking forward to seeing what the next year will bring.

Thanks Sarah and Trystan for giving birth to this baby for us all to enjoy.

Mary  :D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 December 05 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Berlin-Bob, for all that background. 

I didn't realise that the site was so young - Happy 2nd Birthday, Rootschat.

May the site continue to grow and grow.

Monica

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wellie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 December 05 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks B B and well done Sarah and Trystan Happy Birthday to you both for a wonderful site.
Quote from: MaryA

Thanks Sarah and Trystan for giving birth to this baby for us all to enjoy.

Mary  :D

Having a baby out of wed lock :o ;D ;D

Wellie
Wellavize- Wellavise- Willavize - Willavise - willavoys all area's

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 December 05 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Congratulations Rootschat on two years of excellent work.  I'm a complete amateur at genealogy having started only a few months ago.  But reading through all the 'help wanted' for various things has made it much easier for me. . and I'm still learning.

And of course I'm totally addicted to 'The Lighter Side' and 'The Even Lighter Side'

Barbara                   8)
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton