Author Topic: Charles LANE  (Read 6578 times)

Offline marriedwithkids

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Charles LANE
« on: Sunday 12 September 04 06:28 BST (UK) »
could some wonderful person out there please look up records for James Lane with wife Frances and whether there is a son Charles born c 1805-10. as early a census as possible please as Charles was transported to Aus in 1829.
also look up for James Lane with wife Catherine and a son Charles born 1805-10 as we are not sure but it may be same person with two wives. Charles's marriage in Aus states that his parents are James and Catherine Lane but nothing more than that. I can only find IGI file though for James and Frances West Harptree with son Charles born 1805.Is there anybody who can make sense of this mess.thanks everyone
Muddle\Sussex
Shears \Cornwall\ northumberland
Lee\Hertfordshire
Matthews\Essex
Plumb\Cambridge

Offline nathanlane

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: charles lane
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 February 05 17:05 GMT (UK) »
The Charles Lane that I know of Temple Cloud, Somerset.

Charles Lane was my Grt-Grt Grandfather - He was transported to Australia in 1829 aboard the Claudine II - All the information below is correct.  I have viewed the Parish Register and visited the Somerset Archives.  I am an Aussie living in London.  A website should follow soon.  You can contact me on -

MODERATOR COMMENT: email address removed to avoid spamming please use personal message system to share email addresses

St. James Church – Temple Cloud in the Parish of Cameley - England.  (13th Century.)

James & Ann Lane (My Grt-grt-grt Grandparents) were first recorded at this church with the baptism of their son, William Lane in 1807.

They had a second son, George Lane – who was not baptised at all (possibly due to illness).  He was born in East Harptree which is not too far from Temple Cloud and where another Lane family lived.

Charles Lane was baptised on the 22nd of April, 1810.  In the picture that I have taken, you can see the christening table in the background.  The green cloth dates back to the 17th Century.

Ann Lane was baptised in 1812.

Eliza was baptised in 1814, but died two months later.  She is buried at St. James Churchyard.

Mark Lane was baptised in 1816.  He named his first born son Charles and his second James. 

Ann died in November, 1841 at the Clutton Union Workhouse (Poor House) which is situated 10 minutes walk from St. James Church.  James died shortly after in April, 1842 at the Workhouse.  He died of “dropsy”.  Both James & Ann are buried in un-marked graves at St. James Churchyard.  The Church was the main focal point of all the villages in the Parish of Cameley during the early 19th Century.   

*I have loads more information concerning the family including the Marks & Words of George & James Lane X ~ The settlement documents concerning the two are an incredible read and it gives an excellent insight of the hardship experienced by the family during those times.  In the settlement, James said that at the time, 1833 – he was a servant of the Rev. Thomas Seccombe, the rector of St.James Church.  I also have other information concerning the infamous “Charles”.  I will be establishing a family history website when I get back from my travel’s.  My contact address is:

MODERATOR COMMENT: email address removed to avoid spamming please use personal message system to share email addresses

All the very best,

Nathan Lane.

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 December 05 15:13 GMT (UK) »
ann lane aged 71yrs buried 8th dec 1841 at cameley st james.
james lane aged 73yrs buried 26th dec 1841 at cameley st james
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline Michael Flynn

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 February 07 04:14 GMT (UK) »
Nathan - I'm descended from the same Charles Lane baptised at Temple Cloud, Somerset in 1810 who was transported to Australia in 1829 and died there in 1899. I'd be very interested in getting copies of the settlement documents you mention in your posting.  My Family History Diploma thesis "Convicts and Constables" (1982) which was about Charles Lane and other ancestors is in the Society of Australian Genealogists library in Sydney.

best wishes from,

Michael Flynn
Darlinghurst, Sydney

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 02:06 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find a website re the family (see Nathan Lane post), so I don't think this eventuated? I cannot find the baptism for a William in 1807 (SEE hyperlink for update) in Parish Transcripts, and there is no mention of the marriage of James and Ann at St James Parish, Cameley, so they must have married elsewhere.
Many people have the date of James and Ann's marriage recorded as a particular date with no source of information re church?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=pkgru3pagkp98ptmr59k8gn4r7&topic=11478.0
Honour your female ancestors by remembering to record woman by their maiden name.

Offline debbi66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Charles LANE
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 17:38 BST (UK) »
I think James Lane is possible the James Lane who was baptised in Priddy, Somerset 20 June 1773.  If so his father is possibly Richard Lane born C1735 bur 8 3 1825 in West Harptree and his mother is possibly Ruth Adams Christened 11 19 1741 in Blagdon, Somerset.  They married 6 June 1765 in St Andrews, Blagdon, Somerset, the witnesses were William Abraham and John Gallop.

More records need to be found in order to verify this.  What do you think?

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 October 14 06:55 BST (UK) »
None of James Lane and Ann's children were called Richard or Ruth. It was so common to name your children after their grandparent/s ???  It certainly is tricky to know.
Honour your female ancestors by remembering to record woman by their maiden name.

Offline mealsgateboys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 March 16 15:48 GMT (UK) »
I am related to Charles Lane also, His father James Lane was my great great great great grandfather. I live in Cumbria in the north of England and have visited St James Church a few times.
Also have been to what was the Clutton workhouse which is now private flats.
Lane, Young, Simcock, Shemilt, Chandler

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 March 16 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Welcome to Roots Chat. Which child of James and Ann Lane are you descendant from?

Regards,
Nova67