Author Topic: Haig Family of Duns & Preston/Bunkle Parish  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Ron Shaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Haig Family of Duns & Preston/Bunkle Parish
« on: Friday 30 December 05 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Seeking information on the family of John Haig (b.c1765) and Margaret Sligh (b.c1765), probably in the area of Duns, Berwickshire. They had six children; Margaret (b.????), Jean (b.1798), John (b.1799), Helen (b.1801), Thomas (b.1803), Beatrrice (b.1809). Sons John & Thomas emigrated to Canada in 1833/34. If anyone can provide me any information on this Haig family it would be much appreciated.

In case it may be of interest to any genealogists with families from the Duns area I will mention the following. A letter written by a John Haig, dated 08 Feb 1835, to a David Grey at Preston, Dunse, was found by a Miss M.D. Grey in 1953 (in Preston) and published by the Gananoque (Ontario, Canada) newspaper. The letter is a reply to one sent by David Grey in December 1834. John Haig's letter refers to two other brothers named John and Thomas Haig, a Margaret Haig (sister to the Thomas Haig), and a Peter Haig. It advises a James Purves (apparently a miller) not to come to Canada and passes news from John Haig (in Canada) to his brother Joseph, a Charles King, a William Martin and a John Martin (all apparently in & around Duns). The letter mentions a Thomas and George Mitchell and discusses sending a bank draft on behalf of this George Mitchell to his mother Christian Mitchell who is planning to come out to Canada the following season (1836). The letter also mentions Alexander Lindsay, John Fish, Robert Waddy, Isabel Waddy, Abraham Waddy, Andrew Wadell, and Hugh Crow (who have all apparently come to Canada from the Duns area). I am descendent of at least the Haig, Waddy and Lyndsay families mentioned.

Offline forshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Haig Family of Duns & Preston/Bunkle Parish
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 January 06 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ron,
I am researching a John Haig b1834 in Duns. His wife was Margaret Turner. His parents were Grace White and John Haig . He was a grazier (farmer) according to his will. They had several children besides John above. There was a Mary, Peter, Robert, James, Thomas, Hector plus others. All these John Haigs, it can be very confusing...there's a family tradition even to this day in my husbands family.... John Haigs named their first sons John.

Does any of this ring any bells,
Regards.
Pam
Archbald, Atherton Boardman, Bolton, Bowdler, Brown, Carmichael, Craig, Forshaw, Gray, Haig, Hall, Hodson/Hodgson, Hogg, Hudson, Millar, Murray, Pringle, Reynolds/Wrenalls, Shuttleworth, Swarbrick, Tait, Turner, White.