Author Topic: Brambridge Church  (Read 4024 times)

Offline Clare Noyce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Brambridge Church
« on: Saturday 31 December 05 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Does any one out there have any information on Brambridge Church. I have trawled the internet and have found very little information.

All I know is that people stopped using it in the mid 1800. I presume when the Otterbourne church was Built or rebuilt I'm not sure in 1839. The remaining ruins were pulled down in the 1970's.

My interest in the church is that my husbands 4x Greatgrandparents Francis Noyce and Elizabeth Coffin were married there in 1799.

The church is normally listed as Highbridge R C, Brambridge, Hampshire, England.
I presume this mean it is was a Roman Catholic church. Though the Noyces are not Catholics. Though I know Elizabeth was baptized there.

The marriage is listed under the Otterbourne parish record in the Records office in Winchester, I'm not sure what this means regarding the Roman Catholic status. But there are records held at Middlesborough Reference Library for Highbridge R C, Brambridge, Hampshire, England.
As are a lot of other Roman Catholic Parish records in Hampshire and other parts of the country. Does this mean that the marriage is documented twice? I'm getting confused.

Can anyone shed any more light on this subject.

Thanks Clare

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brambridge Church
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 December 05 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clare

Between 1754 and 1837 all marriages had to take place in a parish church of the Church of England, otherwise they were not considered valid (except Quaker and Jewish marriages).  This would explain the double marriage entry - in the Catholic church at Bambridge and in the established parish church of Otterbourne.

On you other point, Middlesborough Reference Library has published transcriptions made by the Catholic Register Society, NOT the original registers.  The National Index of Parish Registers will help you locate the original registers.
I'm afraid I don't where they are.  :-\

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Clare Noyce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 January 06 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for the information.

I thought I was going horribly wrong searching for Brambridge church, and barking up the wrong tree, so to speak.

I now find the whole subject of Brambridge Church very interesting, and would like to find out more about it,  it's use and final demise.

Funnily enough about 4 years ago my daughter and myself took a look around what is left of the graveyard, wich is very little. Not knowing that ancesters of her's could be buried there. as I  suspect that Elizabeth was a Roman Catholic. We will have to take another visit, and to Otterbourne Chruch, which is only about half a mile away.

I will now try and locate the Parish Register for Brambridge.

Once again Thank you very much.

Clare

Offline Joeyd007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 March 11 15:54 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if you are still looking for information on Brambridge? It is somewhere I have come across too in my own research and have found very little. I tried Hampshire Record Office but they had no records at all.

I just wanted to let you know that as well as Otterbourne, I have found some of my marriage records from Brambridge have also been entered in the Twyford Parish Records which are available on line at http://www.stmarytwyford.fsnet.co.uk/records.htm.

Gaiger, Craig, Dawson.

Offline Joeyd007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 April 11 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have since been back to Hampshire Record Office and have found some Catholic Record Society books on the shelf which have typed up Latin transcriptions of the Catholic parishes in Winchester including Brambridge. One of the staff in the record office is very handy at translating latin, so may be able to help you do this, although to be honest most of it is quite straight forward. As well as baptisms, marriages and burials it also gives details of confirmation dates, god parents names and some monumental inscriptions. It is an excellent source of information!

Regards

Jo
Gaiger, Craig, Dawson.

Offline caro120

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 September 15 21:18 BST (UK) »
I had a look in Arthur Mee's Kings England volume on Hampshire but not much mention of Brambridge, shame, just a Brambridge House.  Perhaps could come under another village name such as Twyford?