Author Topic: ROBSON, Andrew CUM, ENG > USA  (Read 4341 times)

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
  • One of Many Family Lines
    • View Profile
ROBSON, Andrew CUM, ENG > USA
« on: Monday 13 September 04 04:36 BST (UK) »
My GGGF, Andrew Robson, left Aspatria, Cumberland to came to the United States and settled in Nebraska.  I am told by a family researcher through the eyes of Maggie (the child listed) that the year was 1885.  He brought his mother, Jane, wife, Margaret, and children -  Will, Jim and Josh, Belle, Polly, Maggie, Ruth, and Janie Kelley. 

"We traveled on the ship 'Republic', a steamship.  We left the old home in
      August (about the middle I think), and landed in New York at Castle Gardens. 
      It is now called Ellis Island."

I have not been able to find a record of this.  Have also found there were several ships named 'Republic' over the years.  If they traveled in 1885, the 'Republic' was part of the White Shipping Line, I think.   I do have a record of a trip made in 1887 by their daughters, Anne and Jane, and Anne's husband, Isaac Davidson on the ship, 'Brittanic'.

As I understand it, Ellis Island didn't come into being until about 1892.    Thanks, RedFox
CUMLD: Davidson, Robson, Atkinson, Blackburn,  Wilkinson, Mumberson, Milburn
CRNWL:  Dawe, Bawden, Leming
CHES: Heginbotham
YRK:  Dawe, Jackson, Ranson, Leming
LANC:  Dawe, Harris, Thomas, Bellamy or Billany, Bayliff, Madsen
EAST SSX:  Etchingham - Woolgar
SCT: RXB-Robson, REN & LNK-Lisle/Lyle/Leill, Taylor, Masson
WALES: Dawe
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle
IRE: Bell, Prestley/Priestley
GER: Wuerttemberg - Betz

Offline grub

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Xander
    • View Profile
Re: ROBSON, Andrew CUM, ENG > USA
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 02:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Redfox
I've been looking for Andrew on the US census 1900 through 1930 in Nebraska without success, in the hope that the census would verify his arrival year in the USA.

Isaac does show up on the 1910 Nebraska census (Dixon County, Clark Township) with wife Annie and two children.

And close neighbor, a William Robson, age 39 born England.

Is this where Andrew settled?

Regards,
Valerie
Bayley, Dorset, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cheshire and others.
Antrobus, Somerset/Glouster
Skelton, Heslington, Yorkshire
James, Norfolk, and London
Delasalle, London area
Gravett/Grevet, Surrey
Also searching the above in Australia

“Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 September 04 08:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks, grub.  This is indeed the right families.  Will Robson is Annie's 'brother'  (not sure if he was the son of Andrew or a nephew).  Andrew being the father I'm looking for.

Also, found I have a record of Ruth (Robson) Ross.  She and Will came over with their parents, Andrew and Margaret Robson.   Did not realized Will lived in Clark Township as well as Isaac and Annie.  Don't know why Andrew doesn't show up in the US census records earlier.  Maybe I should check the arrivals in the 1930's.  Maybe they brought the family over and didn't stay?

It was Andrew and Margaret who lived in Orchard and are buried in the cemetery there.  Haven't quite got the timeframe down yet of when they lived where.   Think Will was buried closer to Laurel, NE.  I will have to see if I can find him through my resources now.  I appreciate your checking.   RedFox

USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle

Offline grub

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Xander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 October 04 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Redfox

Found the following, but STILL no Andrew :'(

1900 US Census
Nebraska, Dixon County, Clark Township
Vol. II, Page 3, ED 73

ROBSON, Jennie, Sis in law, unm,W, F, 21, b April 1879 in England, both parents born England, School Teacher.
She is living with Isaac, Annie and their children.
Census image gives her immigration date as 1887, as does that of Isaac and Annie.

1900 US Census
Nebraska, Cedar County, Precinct 8
Sheet 12B, ED 38

ROBSON, William, Head, M, W, 29, b Oct 1870 in England, both parents born England.  Farmer.

Alice, wife, F, W, 26, born Iowa, parents b PA
                Ruby, dau, F, W,  4, born Nebraska

It states that William arrived in USA in 1885, that they have been married for 7 years, had 3 children, two living.
I checked pages before and after but did not see another child connected to this family.

None of them appear on the 1885 Nebraska State census, taken about June.   

Hoping this might narrow down their arrival in Nebraska...

Regards,
Valerie

Delasalle, London area
Gravett/Grevet, Surrey

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 November 04 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, grub.  The only Jennie Robson I have was the wife of Josh Robson, son of Andrew and Margaret.   She was born Jennie Johnson, so she would have been a widow except Josh didn't die until 1947.  However, she may have been engaged to marry Josh then and it was easier to take his name.  The marriage may have been imminent.  Don't know the date of said marriage.  I did find Isaac Davidson, Annie, and family in the 1910 US census.  My copy of the 1900 census is very poor.  Am having trouble pulling up a new one. 

Andrew didn't die until 1906; Margaret died in 1921.  So don't know why they aren't in the US census records.  Antelope County where they lived is as much in the county as Clark Twp., Dixon County.  As is Cedar County.  Most of the family lived in Dixon or Cedar counties, except for a few families who settled in Antelope County.    I do have many of their headstones.  Took the pictures this past summer.

Will died in 1922.  Didn't know he and Alice were only married seven years.  They had four children I think.  Alice was a Ross; one of FOUR Ross-Robson combinations that have given the name to our family reunions.   

I think the Robson's came over in 1885 about August or early September on the Republic according to family lore.  One of the women gives a description of their trip.   Annie and Isaac Davidson followed two years later in March 1887 on the Britannica.  Jane Robson (Annie's sister) traveled with them.   One possibility is that the Jennie Robson shown in the 1900 census record is Jane or Janie.   She was about 20 when she came over and married Tom Mumberson about 1887-88.  They had two daughters  If you figure a discrepancy in the dates is possible, the woman listed in the 1900 cenus could be Jane Robson.   In fact, it's more likely her than Jennie.  Jane was born in Aspatria, Cul; I think Jennie was born in the US.
It will be a few days before I can really digest all this info.  I'll likely print out your message to check it against my info easier.   Thanks for checking it out.  RedFox

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: ROBSON, Andrew CUM, ENG > USA 1855
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 December 04 04:57 GMT (UK) »
Have gone over my messages dated in Sept.  Andrew Robson died in 1906 so he should have been in the 1890 and 1900 US census records.  Also did some modification of the initial message.   

I know Andrew arrived since I've seen his and his wife's grave.  As well as those belonging to several of their children.  I'll continue researching this line.  Thanks, RedFox

Offline grub

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Xander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 December 04 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Redfox
Tried a different method of searching for Andrew on the 1900 census. Found the following:

1900 US census
Nebraska, Cedar, 8th Precinct
Sheet 15a, ED 38

ROBSON
Andrew, head, Male, b Dec 1842, age 57, to USA 1864, is naturalized. Occupaton: Farmer.

Maggie, wife, female, b Mar 1838, age 62, to USA 1864

James, son, male, b May 1873, age 27 to USA 1864

Josh, son, male, b Mar(?) 1876, age 24

Ruth, dtr, female, b January 1881, age 19

Jane, niece, female, b January 1881, age 19

Caroline, dau, female, b January 1886.

All were born in England, except for Caroline who was born in Nebraska.

All of the children as listed as "Single"

All parents are given as born in England.
Andrew was a farmer.

Margaret was mother to 11 children, 9 living at time of census.

The majority of the 1890 US census was destroyed by fire.

Hope this helps.

Valerie
Delasalle, London area
Gravett/Grevet, Surrey

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 January 05 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, grub.  I haven't been able to come up with that particular census and it is helpful in several ways.  I did not know there was a daughter named Caroline.  She's a new one on me.  The other thing is Jane is mentioned as a niece.  I always thought so because she appeared with Andrew's father, John Robson, as a granddaughter.  The Jane with John and the one with Andrew have somewhat different last names, but the same birthdates.   Since John was 82 at the time of Jane's birth (11 mos. in the 1881 US census record), I was pretty sure it was a one of his children's girl. 

Also, John died about 1884 and the family sailed for the US the next year, so it only stands to reason she went with Andrew's family.   I did not know about the 1890 fire that destroyed the census records.  It's those kinds of tidbits that have kept me somewhat ignorant and why I need all the help I can get.  Thanks, again.  I have entered the data in my FTM Notes section.  I don't doubt the veracity of the info as it matches much of what I do know.