Author Topic: LYLE, Robert - SCT > USA (Pennsylvania)  (Read 3325 times)

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
  • One of Many Family Lines
    • View Profile
LYLE, Robert - SCT > USA (Pennsylvania)
« on: Monday 13 September 04 05:03 BST (UK) »
Robert Lyle, his wife Janet (Jean), and their sons William, James, and Robert came to the US from Lanarkshire, SCT.  Their sons were born between 1763 and 1770.   I don't believe they were married until they got to the US.  Can I assume they may have left from Glascow? 

They met with a friend or relative in PA, John Lyle.  I don't know the relationship; possibly a brother of the father, an uncle, a cousin?  They settled in PA for 20-35 years before moving West.  They were in Ohio for years; some of them settled there, perhaps permanently.  Some may have settled in PA.  By then, most of the family had changed the spelling of the name to LISLE.  My great, grandfather ultimately settled in Nebraska.    (There is an extensive lineage on Ancestry.com, some of it put there by my cousin.)

I believe Robert LYLE and family came to the US before 1790.  I have found some evidence that they signed the Whiskey Law Ordinance.   What I would like to know, is it possible to verify when, where, and other particulars regarding their immigration here?  Thanks, RedFox
CUMLD: Davidson, Robson, Atkinson, Blackburn,  Wilkinson, Mumberson, Milburn
CRNWL:  Dawe, Bawden, Leming
CHES: Heginbotham
YRK:  Dawe, Jackson, Ranson, Leming
LANC:  Dawe, Harris, Thomas, Bellamy or Billany, Bayliff, Madsen
EAST SSX:  Etchingham - Woolgar
SCT: RXB-Robson, REN & LNK-Lisle/Lyle/Leill, Taylor, Masson
WALES: Dawe
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle
IRE: Bell, Prestley/Priestley
GER: Wuerttemberg - Betz

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: LYLE, Robert - SCT > USA (Pennsylvania)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 September 04 04:00 BST (UK) »
Here are a few listings of Robert Lyle in the US Census between 1800 and 1840 along with an Ohio land record.  Looks like they did not make the 1790 US Census.

Hope this helps. :)

in the 1800 US Census:
Name:    Lyle, Robert
Township:    Peters 
County:    Washington 
State:    Pennsylvania 
Year:    1800 
Roll:    M32_44 
Page:    843 
Image:    81 

1810 Census
Township:    Bart 
County:    Lancaster 
Year:    1810 
Roll:    M252_50 
Page:    460 
Image:    103

Township:    Mount Pleasant 
Year:    1810 
Roll:    M252_57 
Page:    36 
Image:    37 

1820 US Census
Name:    Robert Lyle
Year:    1820 
Roll:    M33_113 
Page:    176A 
Image Number:    208 

1840 Census
Year:    1840 
Roll:    M704_499 
Page:    79 
Image:    156 

Ohio Land Records
Name:    ROBERT LYLE
Land Office:    ZANESVILLE 
Document Number:    503 
Total Acres:    80.48 
Signature:    Yes 
Canceled Document:    No 
Issue Date:    April 21, 1835 
Metes and Bounds:    No 
Statutory Reference:    3 Stat. 566 
Multiple Warantee Names:    No 
Act or Treaty:    April 24, 1820 
Multiple Patentee Names:    No 
Entry Classification:    Sale-Cash Entries 
Land Description:    1 W½NW   OHIO RIVER SURVEY No 9 N 10 W 25

George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 September 04 19:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks, nutkin.  Since my posting, I have learned there were several men named Robert Lyle in the States in the early 1800's, and all in similar areas.  No real surprise.  It's compounded because Robert Lyle born abt. 1832 had a son, Robert.  His other two sons, James and William, also had sons named Robert, etc.   The only thing I'm relatively sure about is the my Robert Lyle, and kin, lived in Washington County.

They seemed to have a problem in that particular family, at that time, of not being original or not using middle names.  I'm trying to trace back from a generation I'm sure about.  But keep running into these multiples of Robert Lyle.  I, too, have found some of the same US census records.  Unfortunately, those records were not very defining of an individual.   Plus, I'm not sure they didn't come over sooner.  Perhaps as soon as 1775.  Thanks for checking.   RedFox

USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 December 04 05:15 GMT (UK) »
nutkin, after further study, I think the last two entries you show are Robert, the eldest son of Robert Lyle born in 1770 in Govan Parish, Scotland.  The father died in 1834 in Ohio so it would make sense that the land was deeded to his son in 1835.   Just a guess-timate, as much of this line is.  Thanks, again.  RedFox

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 December 04 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Glad to help.  Let me know if you have any More questions.  - Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive