Author Topic: Kelly's Directories vs Census  (Read 2450 times)

Offline BenB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Kelly's Directories vs Census
« on: Monday 13 September 04 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am waiting for some replies on the Lookup - Staffordshire pages. So far things are going well!

However I believe that the 1841/1851 census' are difficult to search because of index problems & the legibility of the handwriting.

From the net (now and again) I have heard of Kelly's Directories are they a nominal index or a street one and are they any good?

Who has them?

Regards
BenB
Plodding On
Researching Family names of BENNETT, CHRISMAS, STACEY, & WOOLLAMS.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly's Directories vs Census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 September 04 09:52 BST (UK) »
Check this site - it has searchable copies of many such directories. If you select a county you can then look at the first few pages of a directory which describes the contents (cannot cut & paste). I don't find them nearly as useful as the Census - but they are interesting & I have found some ancestors mentioned in them.

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/HistDir/HTML/counties.htm

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly's Directories vs Census
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 September 04 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Ben,

The Directories are like our modern day phone books.

Generally they list the Trades followed by the tradesmens name and address by town. For big cities you sometimes get an alphabetical listing as well (or instead.)

I fully recommend the directories as they provide information in addition to the census because they were issued more frequent and also they give you some help in finding an address to help locate in the census returns.

RootsChat  :)
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster