Author Topic: Another WWI uniform to identify please  (Read 4512 times)

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Another WWI uniform to identify please
« on: Wednesday 04 January 06 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello all, I have this photo of wife's grandad in WW1.  Can anyone identify uniform so i can start to research him.  His name was supposed to be Edward Lynham, but family say he changed to that when he came over from Ireland to London.

I've looked at medal rolls for that name, but really need a regiment to start from.  Don't know if he served in Irish or English regiment but he did survive the war.  Looks a bit of a bruiser eh?

Any help or ideas welcomed.  Regards, TonyR.
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Another WWI uniform to identify please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 January 06 08:58 GMT (UK) »
the problem with the photo is that it appears to have been touched up, the lanyard, buttons and (most annoyingly) the cap badge mainly

If  (big if) the original shape of the badge has been followed there's a chance it may be an artillery (RFA,RGA,RHA etc) I am basing that on the shape on the underside, but ............ :-\

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 January 06 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Harribobs, thanks for the reply.  There is an Artillery with an Edward in, he was a driver in the Royal Field Artillery.

Before I pursue above, is it possible that he enlisted with RFA in Ireland & also can you definately rule out any/all of the following regt which also have Edwards in?

Yorkshire Regiment, Irish Guards, Royal Engineers, Somerset Light Infantry, Border Regiment, London Regiment, King's Royal Rifle Corps, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Thanks for your time.  Regards, TonyR.
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 January 06 11:01 GMT (UK) »
without doing any proper research (they keep expecting me to work here for some reason!), you can rule out Royal Engineers and KRRC, maybe others could check t'other regiments

to be honest he could have ended up in any regiment, especially after 1916

cheers

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 January 06 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Tony

i've had a look at the other regiments and i still think Artillery is the best guess

cheers

chris

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 January 06 08:00 GMT (UK) »
I have to agree with Chris here,

Royal Artillery badge with a Kings Crown. Nothing else seems to fit.

Tom
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 January 06 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to both Chris & Tom for pointing me hopefully in the right direction.  Regards, TonyR.