Author Topic: Neilson family in Paisley  (Read 10521 times)

Offline gill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Neilson family in Paisley
« on: Thursday 05 January 06 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am researching the Neilson family in Paisley.
Info I have is as follows............
Duncan Neilson , age 25, resided at 13 Canal Street, Paisley, parents Thomas Neilson ans Christina McMillan (deceased)
married
Ann Baillie , age 23, resided at 4 Barr Street, Paisley, parents John Baillie, stone mason journeyman, (dec) and Margaret stewart (dec)
The marraige took place in Low Curch, Paisley on 24 June 1857.
children of marraige were Thomas b.1857, William b. 1859. John b. 1862, DUNCAN b.1865 Thomas b. 1868 Christina b. 1868 (twins), Robert b. 1871.......posiibly with a twin Ann, but have no confirmation of this. All births were in Paisley.
At the time of son DUNCANs birth on 13 Jan 1865 the family resided at 6 Carlile Place, Paisley.
On 1881 census the family are living at 142 George Street, Paisley, (high church), with children........William, 21, stonemason.  John, 18, lath splitter, DUNCAN, 16, carter,  Ann, 7,  Robert age 5.

Can anyone locate them on the 1861 or 1871 census?

Duncan Neilson (junior) married on 18 June 1886 at 18 Moss street, Paisley.........at this time he resided at 1 Mill Street, Paisley
his wife was Mary McFee, age 21, resided at 3 Doversland, Paisley, she was a threadmill worker. her parents were Donald McPhee, railway porter (dec) and Janet McPhail.
Their son JOHN was born on 30 July 1896 at 11 Carwood street, Greenock...........

Can anyone llocate this family on the 1891 census either in Paisley or Greenock.

On 1901 census the family are living at 7 Clyde Street, Port Glasgow with children Janet 19, machinist, b. Paisley, Duncan 14, b. Paisley, Robert, 13 b. paisley, Grace,6, b. Greenock, William, 6, b.Greenock, JOHN, 4, b. Greenock, Alexander, 3 , b. Greenock

John Neilson married Margaret Spence on 27 Dec 1929.

thanks in advance for any information offered.
Anderson in Ireland - Renfrewshire
Skene / Skean/ Skeen in Midlothian
Dow in Stirling, midlothian, Renfrewshire
McIlmoil / McIlmoyle in Antrim, Renfrewshire
McGaffigan / McGavigan, McNulty, Murphy Kennedy Hogg and Gamble in Londonderry
Paterson / Patterson, Eaglesham / Eaglesome in Ayrshire
MacPherson , MacLeod, Gillies in Sleat, Invernesshire
Cornfoot, Hogg, Grubb, Ramsay, Auchterlonie in Fife
Neilson, OHara, Baillie in Paisley

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Neilson family in Paisley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 December 16 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi, My name is Jennifer and I'm researching the same family.

my great grandmother was Grace Neilson in the list below (parents Mary McPhee, sometimes indexed as McFee and Duncan Neilson). I do have some information that you may not have (I have a few of the census records that i think are the people in this line), but it is complicated because the names seem to change frequently between records, and there are lots of brick walls.  Some are as follows:

1. I cannot find Duncan Neilson (born abt. 1832/1833) with parents Thomas Neilson & Christina McMillan in Paisley prior to his marriage to Ann Baillie in 1857 (I assume you have this record).  I cannot find any record related to Thomas, Christina or Duncan before the marriage record.

Strangely, there is only 1 Duncan Neilson in the census in all of Scotland in that time period of 1830 to 1857 (via Scotland's People); his parents are Robert Neilson and Jean McNab, he was born in 1835, he is in the 1841 and 1851 census' with his parents, and he married Elizabeth Robertson in 1861. 

2. In 1861, our Duncan finally appears in a census, with wife Ann.  They are indexed under Nelson, not Neilson though.  They are residing at 15 Canal Street Paisley with the following:  Margaret Nelson age 6, William Nelson age 1, and (sister in law) Margaret Baillie, age 15.  You can find this on ancestry and I also have downloaded the paper copy.

3. In 1871, the family was at 37 Back Sneddon Middle Parish Paisley as: Duncan (38), shawl weaver; Ann (36); Margaret (16); William (11); John (9); and Duncan (6).  I have this paper record.  There are also records for 1901 census (with youngest child Robert, age 25), but I can't find them in 1891. 

4. As for Duncan (Jr), I have found some of the same information as you. He married on Mary McPhee on 18 June 1886 who resided at 3 Doversland, Paisley, she was a threadmill worker. her parents were Donald McPhee, railway porter (dec) and Janet McPhail.  I think McPhee is the correct spelling based on the parents' names and other records (My great aunt, daughter of Grace Neilson, was named Mary McPhee Stewart). 

5. Now here is another one of my brick walls.  I have not been able to find any record of the birth of Mary McPhee (or McFee) in the general time frame and location that the census records suggest.  And, I cannot find any marriage record for Donald McPhee (or McFee) and Janet McPhail. 

6. However, I do find a record for the illegitimate birth of a Mary McPhail to a Janet McPhail (bleachfield worker) in Paisley on May 3 1865 (she was a twin, sister was Janet; the twin Janet died in 1866).

7. I also find Janet McFail (bleachfield worker) in 1871 census on High Street, Middle Paisley, with a daughter, Mary McPhee age 6.  And, I find Janet McPhail (bleacher worker) and Mary McFee age 16 (threadmill worker) at 1 Dovesland in Paisley in 1881 census.  So if this is them (which I'm fairly sure it is), where is Donald McPhee?

8. I also have found the census for Duncan and Mary in 1891 on ancestry. Here are the details.  I have the 1901 and 1911 census' as well.

Duncan Neilson
Age   26
Estimated Birth Year   abt 1865
Relationship   Head
Spouse's Name   Mary Neilson
Where born   Paisley, Renfrewshire
Registration district   Paisley
Civil parish   Paisley Low Church
County   Renfrewshire
Address   86, Canal St

Household Members   
Duncan Neilson   26
Mary Neilson   25
Janet Neilson   7
Duncan Neilson   4
Robert Neilson   2

My great grandmother as I mentioned earlier was Grace Neilson.  She married Murray Stewart in Port Glasgow in 1912.  Their children were Isabella Anderson Stewart (b. 1912, my grandmother), Mary McPhee Stewart (b. 1916), and John Stewart (b. 1921).  All were born in Port Glasgow.  Isabella emigrated to the US in early 1930's.  Mary ultimately emigrated in 1950 and John emigrated to South Africa...unsure of the year but it was prior to 1946.

It would be great to correspond off of this post if possible.  You are the first possible descendant of this line in my tree that I've come across.

Jennifer
Stewart in Kirkden, Paisley, Port Glasgow Scotland; Londonderry, Ireland; South Africa
Neilson in Paisley, Port Glasgow Scotland
Baillie in Peebles, Paisley, Edinburgh Scotland
Anderson in Angus/Forfarshire & Kincardineshire Scotland
Forbes in Kirkden Forfarshire & Kincardineshire, Scotland
Patterson/Paterson in Carmyllie & Kirkden, Forfarshire Scotland
Calhoun in Tyrone, Ireland & Jersey City, New Jersey
Mitchard in Liverpool England & New Jersey

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 December 16 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Just downloaded John Neilson marriage to Margaret Spence on 27 Dec 1929...My grandmother, Isabella Stewart is listed as one of the witnesses!!!

I'd love to chat with you!  I hope you get this :)
Stewart in Kirkden, Paisley, Port Glasgow Scotland; Londonderry, Ireland; South Africa

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 December 16 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jennifer , welcome to RootsChat  :)

Gill was last on here in January this year and will hopefully receive a notification of your post.

As per RC policy I've removed your email address , please use the Personal Message(PM) system which should work if you reply to this post -
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 December 16 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks EV!  I've been researching multiple family lines and have only found 1 other possible relative (completely different family line), so finding someone on my Scottish line is extremely exciting.  I hope Gill and I are able to connect :)

Offline gill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 December 16 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen,
I originally posted my query almost 11 years ago.
I have researched the family extensively in the years in between, and have a quite lot of information.
The marriage certificate you said you have just downloaded for Margaret Spence and John Neilson, were my partners grandparents.
I have pretty much all of the Neilson certificate, and also photos of the graves also as my mother in law is buried with them (her parents), also Duncan Neilson and Mary McPhee are buried opposite them.

Janet McPhail and Donald McPhee were not married. Janet was in the poorhouse in Paisley when the twins were born, and I got a copy of the notes from the Poor house years ago. From memory, the notes state that he hailed from Invernesshire...I will need to look the notes out, and get back to you on that. They give a bit of information about Donald and Mary, but basically he deserted her.
Their daughter, Janet (the twin), is buried in Woodside Cemetery in Paisley.

I have collected a fair bit of information on Murray Stewart also, his family came from Kirkden in Forfar.

Ill get back to you later tonight when I have more time.

Offline gill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 December 16 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jennifer , welcome to RootsChat  :)

Gill was last on here in January this year and will hopefully receive a notification of your post.

As per RC policy I've removed your email address , please use the Personal Message(PM) system which should work if you reply to this post -
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

ev

I have kept the same email all these years, as its the one I use specifically for family research, and do pop back onto all the genealogy sites every now and again as so much more information has become available in the years in between :)

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 December 16 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gill,
I hadn't expected such a quick reply, since I knew the post was old!  I wish I'd come across it earlier since it seems I've replicated some of it.  I'd love to get the info you have but don't feel any rush.  I'm just happy to know there is someone out there with more info than I have and find an actual connection to someone that is related to me and my family.  I've also PM'd you. :)
Jen

Offline gill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 December 16 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen,
I was quite lucky in that my mother in law had all the copies of the original certificates for her grandparents and great grandparents.
I'm happy to share what information I do have, if you want to private mail me your email.
If there are any specific certificates you need, let me know which ones, as I have pretty much all of them.
Ive not got much time at the moment, but will get back to you tonight